2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

On 10/5/2017 at 1:37 PM, StemCellFan said:

Hi!  Your stats almost look similar to mine, although you have a few more pubs (and first authors!).  I almost want to point out not to stress about your score too much, but if you can retake the GRE to bump your quant to 50% or higher, that would help.  I'm in a similar boat, but I could only get my quant to 47%.  But you may not need to retake it since it sounds like your research experience is awesome and I'm assuming letters will look great.  And committees like to see upward trends in GPA.  Given this, though, I would consider maybe applying to a couple lower-tiered schools if you can find any with research that interests you.  Good luck!

Thank you!! I have definitely considered retaking the GRE but it's pretty cost-prohibitive for me since I don't technically qualify for the fee waiver but can't afford it on my own, it's a complicated story. If I were to retake the GRE I would have to dig into my application funds and therefore apply to less schools (which maybe that's not the worst idea in the world.) I'm really hoping to ride on my research experience, publications, and rec letters. Good luck to you as well!

Hi everyone! I'd love some advice on my schools and whether I'm reaching too high - I'm pretty anxious about this process and how I stack up against other applicants. I am planning on applying for evolutionary biology programs, although I'm not planning on going into academia or teaching afterwards.

Undergrad Institution: Top 15 in the US, good reputation for biology
Major(s): Biological Sciences
Minor(s): Scientific Computing
GPA in Major: currently 3.7, hoping to bump it up a little by the end of this semester
Overall GPA: 3.66, again, hoping to bump it up a little
Position in Class: I fall slightly short of the cum laude requirements for my school (I believe last year it was 3.7-ish), so near top?
Type of Student: International female (from India, studied in various countries though)

GRE Scores (revised/old version): I took the GRE twice (to bump up my Q scores), so they're listed first try/second try
Q: 157/160 (76th percentile for the second try)
V: 168/169
W: 5.5/5.0
B: didn't take

Research Experience: I've been working in a genetics & evolution lab (although primarily genetics focused) lab at my school for a year and a half and plan on continuing it next semester. I started the summer after sophomore year, and I've worked on a couple different projects, although none have led to any publication worthy results yet (I did manage to link part of a project to a final semester project for one of my scientific computing classes though). I also worked in a biochemistry lab in a top university in India during the summer after freshman year, but that was only to learn basic lab techniques and such.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list for 3 semesters so far - first semester freshman year, both semesters junior year. Hoping to get that for both semesters senior year as well.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Currently working as a writing consultant/tutor on campus, and serving on the exec board for a club that works closely with the office of undergrad admissions & with international students.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I was a speaker for a showcase celebrating international students last semester

Special Bonus Points: Some of our higher level classes are mixed, with both graduates and undergrads. I have no idea if this is common practice or not, but I've taken a few of them. Scientific computing might also help? I used Java and C++ in my CS classes for the minor, and I've used R for biostats and I'm learning Python in another CS class right now.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I got a C+ the first time I took organic chemistry 2. It shows up on my transcript, although I retook the class and got an A in it the next semester. I'm unsure whether to address this in my SOP or not (the rest of the classes that semester were fine - 1 B and 4 As).

Applying to Where: So far, I have a few:

Cornell - Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

Indiana University, Bloomington - Evolution, Ecology, and Behavior

University of Rochester - Evolution, Ecology, Genetics, and Genomics

University of Washington - Department of Biology, Evolutionary Biology

University of Chicago - Committee on Evolutionary Biology

I'm also looking at a program in Germany through the academic exchange service they have, but the deadlines for those are later so I'm not too worried about that atm

I don't have good safety/reach schools yet, so I'd love to have some input on that - I'm planning on applying to 8-10 programs so I still have plenty of room. Basically, I'm super concerned that I'll apply to a bunch of high ranking colleges and then end up getting in nowhere, so any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Hi everyone, I' m looking for some advice on my school choices as well as possible method of improvement in my background. I'm aiming for the top 15~20 schools in neuroscience, but I'm afraid that will be a bit stretch for me. Also, I haven't gone thorugh the whole list of possible schools yet, cause I'm checking each one to make sure there are at least 2 labs I want to work in. Please let me know if there are some great programms I've missed out. Thank you guys!

Undergrad Institution: University of California, San Diego

Major(s): General Biology, Psychology with specilization in Clinical Psychology
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.52 for biology, 3.58 for psychology
Overall GPA: 3.52
Position in Class: Not sure
Type of Student: International Asian female

GRE Scores (Revised):
Q: 169 (96%)
V: 155 (69%)
W: 3.5 (42%)
This is the result from 3 months ago, right now I'm aiming for ~160 in verbal (hopefully able to get the Q+V up to 330) and ~4.5 in writing

B: 86% overall (59% molecule & cell biology, 92%Organismal Biolgoy, 92% Ecology & evolution)
I have registered for the test in October, but I don't seem to have much spare time to prepare for it. And since I'm primarily aim for system-level neuroscience, so I'm not sure if I should retake it.

Research Experience:

• I've been working in the biology lab (neurotoxicology) for ~3 years, have 1 publication (defintely not the 1st or 2nd author; not sure about the exact order since there are 3-4 undergrads on the paper besides the 2 PhD students who will be the 1st and 2nd author) in review now, and I'm in acknoledgement of another published paper. There might be a paper on the project another undergrad and I have just started on, but won't be out until next summer, so probably not helpful for my application
  • I also just started to work at a psycholgoy lab about human emotion and empathy for about a month, and will continue until next summer

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

not sure if the provost honor will count

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

I've got a couple C+s in my late 2nd and the 3rd year because I'm struggle with depression at that time, and my grades have been back to straight As except some of my lab classes. I'm not sure if I should explain this situation somewhere.

LORs:
UCSD  PI (current biology lab)
UCSD PI (current psychology lab)
UCSD professor (Chair of circaidan center)
UCSD assistant professor (psychology class, for backup)
UCSD professor* (neurobiology professor, still trying to get the letter since it is more related to my interest area)

Applying to Where: those I've decided on so far

Yale PhD Program in Biological and Biomedical Science (BBS)
WUSTL PhD Program in Biology and Biomedical Sciences
UCSD Neurosciences PhD Program
UCLA Interdepartmental PhD Program for Neuroscience

Hi everyone, I' m looking for some advice on my school choices as well as possible method of improvement in my background. I'm aiming for the top 15~20 schools in neuroscience, but I'm afraid that will be a bit stretch for me. Also, I haven't gone thorugh the whole list of possible schools yet, cause I'm checking each one to make sure there are at least 2 labs I want to work in. Please let me know if there are some great programms I've missed out. Thank you guys!

Undergrad Institution: University of California, San Diego

Major(s): General Biology, Psychology with specilization in Clinical Psychology
GPA in Major: 3.52 for biology, 3.58 for psychology
Overall GPA: 3.52
Position in Class: Not sure
Type of Student: International Asian female

GRE Scores (Revised):
Q: 169 (96%)
V: 155 (69%)
W: 3.5 (42%)
This is the result from 3 months ago, right now I'm aiming for ~160 in verbal (hopefully able to get the Q+V up to 330) and ~4.5 in writing

B: 86% overall (59% molecule & cell biology, 92%Organismal Biolgoy, 92% Ecology & evolution)
I have registered for the test in October, but I don't seem to have much spare time to prepare for it. And since I'm primarily aim for system-level neuroscience, so I'm not sure if I should retake it.

Research Experience:

• I've been working in the biology lab (neurotoxicology) for ~3 years, have 1 publication (defintely not the 1st or 2nd author; not sure about the exact order since there are 3-4 undergrads on the paper besides the 2 PhD students who will be the 1st and 2nd author) in review now, and I'm in acknoledgement of another published paper. There might be a paper on the project another undergrad and I have just started on, but won't be out until next summer, so probably not helpful for my application
  • I also just started to work at a psycholgoy lab about human emotion and empathy for about a month, and will continue until next summer

not sure if the provost honor will count

Special Bonus Points:

probably Matlab? I'm learning Python for my new psycholgoy lab as well

I've got a couple C+s in my late 2nd and the 3rd year as I'm struggling with depression at that time, and my grades have been back to straight As except some of my lab classes again after that. I'm not sure if I should explain this situation somewhere.

LORs:
UCSD  PI (current biology lab)
UCSD PI (current psychology lab)
UCSD professor (Chair of circaidan center)
UCSD assistant professor (psychology class, for backup)
UCSD professor* (neurobiology professor, still trying to get the letter since it is more related to my interest area)

Applying to Where: those I've decided on so far

Yale PhD Program in Biological and Biomedical Science (BBS)
WUSTL PhD Program in Biology and Biomedical Sciences
UCSD Neurosciences PhD Program
UCLA Interdepartmental PhD Program for Neuroscience

(Posted this in the 2017 thread as well, sorry)

Hello! I am a student from the Philippines that wishes to see where he can reach with his current credentials. I'm not too familiar with the landscape in the US, and I hope that some of you can offer me a hand in my decision-making. Specifically, I would like to find out how far my credentials will go from the context of a 3rd world country that, clearly,  isn't really the best in research.

Undergrad Institution: University of the Philippines Diliman - (foremost research university in the Philippines)
Major(s): Molecular Biology
Minor(s): -
GPA in Major: ~3.85 (we use a 1 to 5 scale and there is really no clear cut conversion from that system to the 4.0 system used in the US)
Overall GPA: ~3.85
Position in Class: Second
Type of Student: International Asian Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

V: 160

Q: 166

AW: 5.5

Research Experience: 

Worked for 2 years in a laboratory inside our institute, one year as an apprentice and another as a full-fledged thesis student

Phi Sigma Biological Honors Society Student of the Year - highest GPA/GWA of all Biology/Biology-related undergraduates in the country.

An unheard-of award given to the top 2 students in a batch.

summa cum laude - top 30 in the entire undergraduate graduating batch of ~3600 students

Consistent dean's lister throughout undergrad

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 
N/A -very worried how this will impact my application

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

N/A

Special Bonus Points: Southeast Asian male. I'm not sure how much this matters though. One of my professors tell me that some universities give some priority to international students but i'm not sure how far that will get me. 

Member of an organization that aims to promote molecular biology to the country. Actively helped in events that pertains to this goal.

May also get a recommendation from our institute director/head

Applying to Where:

Boston University

Northwestern University

NYU Biology (looking at the Abu Dhabi fellowship as well)

University of Michigan Ann Arbor

Columbia University

Baylor College of Medicine

NYU

Can anyone tell me if these universities are huge reaches? I'm well aware of my disadvantage, coming from a country not very developed in research, so I would really appreciate honest opinions on where I stand with regards to competitiveness and the universities I will have a better chance with. Thank you so much!

Edited by vienana

Undergrad Institution: Florida Institute of Technology
Major(s): Mechanical Engineering
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.79
Overall GPA: 3.69
Position in Class: (No numbers needed, but are you top? near top? average? struggling?)
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) International, male

Q: 164
V: 148
W: 3.5
B:

TOEFL Total: 

Research Experience: 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  TBP

Special Bonus Points: 

Applying to Where:

UT-AUSTIN

ASU

UFL

MSU

Purdue

USC

Hey everyone!! Application procedures are making me go crazy with nervousness and hope for some inputs regarding the same. 

Undergrad Institution: State level University in my Country

Major(s): B.Tech Biotechnology (4 years program)
GPA in Major: 3.92
Overall GPA: as above
Position in Class: Not sure
Type of Student: International Male
GRE Scores (Revised): 
Q: 156 (62%)
V: 149 (43%)
W:  4.0 (60%)

B: -

Research Experience:

• 1 year research experience in the molecular biology lab in the institution working on population genetics for DM as well as Bioinformatics (structural modeling for the interaction of proteins involved in the disease). 
  • Currently at one of the national cancer research institutes working on neuro oncology [medulloblastoma] ( experience of 1 year by the date of application).

One co-author paper in BBRC Journal, one  (2nd Author) paper in progress. 

Special Bonus Points:

I don''t know if this will be considered but been in association with a neuroclinician and a neurohospital trying to collate data for my own research work while working as a Consultant advisor for their Marketing dept.

2 LORs from the PIs, one of which is quite known in her field of Medulloblastoma, one from the clinician and another one from a professor at the uGrad institute.

Applying to Where:

( All neuroscience or Mol Bio)

Brown

Vanderbilt

UChicago

OHSU

UMichigan

Emory

UPenn

Columbia

Need suggestion on which of these aren't a big of jump for me and which others might be a possible reach for me.

Undergrad Institution: One of the top universities in UK (not Oxford and Cambridge though)
Major(s): Molecular Genetics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: Translated to 4.0/4.0 or 3.7/4.0 depending on the scale
Overall GPA: Same as above
Position in Class: No official figure, but I guess is top 5%?
Type of Student: International, asian, male

Q: 170 (97%)
V: 160 (86%)
W: 5.0 (93%)
B: not taking

Research Experience: 

Second year Jan~Sep: helped with a PhD to study Arabidopsis root using confocol microscopy & my own cloning project to make a fusion protein

Third year summer Jun~Oct: synthetic biology project which I developed myself 

But unfortunately I didn't generate enough data for publishing

It's a shame that my school doesn't have ANY of these.. 

1) Class representatives of one course

2) Won a grant to cover round trip from UK to Boston to attend a conference

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Nothing. Will this affect a lot?

Special Bonus Points: Nothing really special. One referee being a plant biotechnologist whom I worked for around 8 months, another a synthetic biologist whom I worked for around 6 months, and the third one being a department head of stem cell and regenerative medicine, but he only teaches me for 2/3 courses.

I guess one thing that I should point out in the statement would be my third year project is 99% original, i.e. I concenptualised the idea and designed my own experiments?

Applying to Where:

MIT

UCB

Harvard

Yale

Cornell

Columbia

Princeton

UPenn

Johns Hopkins

Boston

Any advice? Am I aiming too high? 

14 minutes ago, ptdcg03 said:

Undergrad Institution: One of the top universities in UK (not Oxford and Cambridge though)
Major(s): Molecular Genetics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: Translated to 4.0/4.0 or 3.7/4.0 depending on the scale
Overall GPA: Same as above
Position in Class: No official figure, but I guess is top 5%?
Type of Student: International, asian, male

Q: 170 (97%)
V: 160 (86%)
W: 5.0 (93%)
B: not taking

Research Experience: 

Second year Jan~Sep: helped with a PhD to study Arabidopsis root using confocol microscopy & my own cloning project to make a fusion protein

Third year summer Jun~Oct: synthetic biology project which I developed myself 

But unfortunately I didn't generate enough data for publishing

It's a shame that my school doesn't have ANY of these.. 

1) Class representatives of one course

2) Won a grant to cover round trip from UK to Boston to attend a conference

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Nothing. Will this affect a lot?

Special Bonus Points: Nothing really special. One referee being a plant biotechnologist whom I worked for around 8 months, another a synthetic biologist whom I worked for around 6 months, and the third one being a department head of stem cell and regenerative medicine, but he only teaches me for 2/3 courses.

I guess one thing that I should point out in the statement would be my third year project is 99% original, i.e. I concenptualised the idea and designed my own experiments?

Applying to Where:

MIT

UCB

Harvard

Yale

Cornell

Columbia

Princeton

UPenn

Johns Hopkins

Boston

Any advice? Am I aiming too high? 

Though your numbers are great, I think that applying to mostly top schools with roughly one year of research experience might be a risk. I would suggest balancing your list out with schools that are not Ivy Leagues— you are applying to all of them but two— or super top schools.  Also, is there a specific reason why your list is so top heavy? Applying for the prestige might hurt your app if it’s obvious in your statement of purpose. Meaning, make sure you have a good reason to apply to the schools you are applying to besides name recognition. 

Hi there! I wanted to post my stats and objectives. If anyone has feedback as to whether I should report my biology GRE score to schools where it states the score is "optional," let me know. I don't want to include something that might hurt my application. Also, I have a lot of teaching experience (a requirement for my current program), and most institutions care more about research than teaching, so if anyone has advice on how I can spin that aspect of my application to make it more relevant for my hopes to do research, I'm all ears!

Undergrad Institution: Large Public State University in California, a research-based institution.
Major(s): Animal Science (BS) and Animal Biology (MS)
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 3.6 (Undergraduate), 4.0 (Graduate)
Overall GPA: 3.7 Cumulative (Undergrad), 4.0 (Graduate)
Position in Class: Graduated with Honors from undergrad, so near top?
Type of Student: Female, not a minority, domestic (US)

GRE Scores (percentiles unknown for now):
Q: 160
V: 161
W: Unknown for now, on previous exams I've scored 5.0.
Biology Subject Test: 770 (79th %tile)

Research Experience: No publications but currently drafting a manuscript. Worked in a research lab for 3 years in undergraduate, continued research in the same lab for my Master's degree. Work is related to the microbiome of an animal model. I've presented preliminary data at several research conferences, usually via poster.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: In undergrad, I received a departmental citation for good academic achievement just prior to graduating, and I graduated with honors. In my graduate program I've received one scholarship. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Currently a TA, and had a side job as adjunct faculty for a local community college this past year.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: The class I currently TA for, and have TA-ed for in the past as well, is a molecular biology lab. So I have a lot of experience with molecular biology/genetics, because I've dealt had to trouble shoot just about every possible situation with students. 

Special Bonus Points: I've contacted several potential research professors at the institutions where I will be applying, and have heard back from several of them with seemingly positive feedback.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: This will be my second time applying, my first application round didn't go as well as I'd hoped. So I decided to take another year for my Master's degree to really develop my research fully, do well in classes, and gain more experience teaching (because I wanted to be sure this is something I want for a career), and I'm hoping my work this past year will improve my application.

Applying to Where:

Washington University in St. Louis, Microbiology and Molecular Pathogenesis
University of North Carolina, BBSP
University of Colorado, Denver - Microbiology Ph.D.

Cornell University, Microbiology Ph.D.

UCSD, Microbiology and Microbiome Sciences

Stanford, Biomedical Sciences, Microbiology and Immunology

UCSF, BMS

University of Washington, Microbiology

University of Wisconsin-Madison, MDTP

University of Chicago, Biomedical Sciences, Microbiology. 

Edited by KayLouisa
Blurb at top

Kind of in a weird place where I think my numbers look fine for acceptance to the places I'm applying to (this might be wrong, too, but that's my impression), but concerned about my overall lack of other distinguishing factors.

Undergrad Institution: UW-Madison
Major(s): Biochemistry and Neurobiology
Minor(s): -
GPA in Major: ~3.79 (Kind of hard to calculate with Madison's weird way of allocating classes to majors in the life sciences school)
Overall GPA: 3.75
Position in Class: They're very quiet about that, so no clue.
Type of Student: Domestic white male.

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 165
V: 165
W: 5.0

Research Experience:

I've been working in a genetics lab on campus since freshman year, and pretty much part or all of every summer, involved in neurogenetics and synaptic plasticity, have one publication, albeit as second-to-last author out of 6 authors.

My only presentations have been at our undergraduate research symposium, and that was like freshman and sophomore year, so it's been a while.

Editor of content at the undergrad research journal that got started up a few years back.

Applying to Where:

Harvard - Neuro
MIT - Biology
UCSF - Tetrad
Columbia - Neurobio & Behavior
Mt. Sinai - Neuroscience
Vanderbilt - IGP
Yale - BBS
UNC Chapel Hill - BBSP
UC Berkeley - Molecular and Cell Biology
Scripps - TSRI
Stanford - Neurosciences

My research interests are in structural and chemical neurobiology, and the intersection of chemistry and neurobiology, thus the mix of bio and neuro programs.

Edited by DontchaWantaPharma
Forgot to add time in lab.

I am very nervous about my application quality, but I got some side-eye from my PI about some of the programs I'm applying to for them not "being good enough" programs. What do y'all think? Am I aiming too high?

Undergrad Institution: Top 5 private university
Major(s): Biochemistry, Chemistry
Minor(s): n/a
GPA in Major: 3.3/3.32
Overall GPA: 3.5
Position in Class: I'm probably above average? It's very hard to tell
Type of Student: domestic, nonbinary (though I'm applying as female most places), Latinx

Q: 170 (97%)
V: 165 (96%)
W: 5.0 (93%)
B: --

Research Experience:

I spent 2-3 combined months over two summers in high school volunteering in a biomedical engineering lab at a well-known state university. I've spent all 3 summers in undergrad working essentially full time in labs. I spent 6 months in a behavioral genetics lab my first year of undergrad. I've been in my current lab a year and a half now, so by the time I graduate, it'll be 2 years and change. I'm second author of 7 on a paper that we're almost ready to submit (I think; I'm not sure it'll be published or even submitted before applications are due), and I've presented my research at two regional conferences (neither of which awarded the best poster, but I got glowing feedback from one). I'm working on an honors thesis in my current lab, but that won't be done before apps are due, either.

I've made the Dean's List every year of undergrad so far. And I applied for a diversity supplement on an NIH grant a year and a half ago (and got it).

I was a Spanish-language math tutor at the local middle school for a year and a half.

I mean, this is pretty much it...

Special Bonus Points:

I'm currently in a grad biochem class! And of course there's graduating with departmental honors (which given my advisor and department chair's approval so far, seems almost a given). I'm definitely queer/nb/Latinx, but I'm not sure how gender/sexuality/ethnicity could affect me, considering adcoms don't see that... I'm also fluent in Spanish?

At least two of my LORs are going to be fantastic (my 2 PIs). My third I'm not sure about---but I'll assess that when I meet with my recommender (soon). I think it'll be good. I'm a bit backed into a corner with that one, considering most of my major classes have been very large, and I have at most interacted with the TAs in most of them. One PI I've tangentially worked with has offered (through the postdoc I work with) to write me a LOR if I need it. I'm applying to pharmacology PhD programs that have a focus on neuropharmacology, particularly those researching psychosis, depression, epilepsy, and chronic pain. I also plan on making it pretty clear that I intend to pursue a career in the pharmaceutical industry.

Applying to Where: (all PhD)

Columbia (Pharmacology and Molecular Signaling)

Yale (BBS)

NYU (Sackler BioMed: Mechanisms of Disease)

UCLA (Bioscience: Molecular Pharmacology)

Rockefeller

Boston U (Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics)

U of Kansas (Pharmacology and Toxicology)

Rosalind Franklin (Biosciences PhD)

Brown (Molecular Pharmacology)

Dartmouth (Experimental and Molecular Medicine)

Vanderbilt (IGP)

UC Irvine (Pharmacological Sciences)

I feel I'm going too high, but on the other hand I find going to places "not as good as my undergrad" (for the sake of argument, no offense intended) a bit hard to swallow, and I'm also extremely picky about locations. Would appreciate any advice. Thank you all in advance!

Undergrad Institution: University of Chicago
Minor(s): Classical Studies
GPA in Major: 3.75-ish
Overall GPA: 3.79
Position in Class: Average as a freshman,  getting better every year (It depends on the class. Maybe above average to close to top?). One poor grade in chem. (I've been told 3.8+ would be top 10% at my school)
Type of Student: International, female

Q: 167 (92%)
V: 170 (99%)
W: 5.5 (98%)
B: 900 (98%; Mol&Cell: 96%; Organismal: 98%; E&E: 92%)

Research Experience: Less than two years at my school, cancer biology. One publication in preparation (Nat med), middle author (If the reviewers are quick, could expect to hear back from them right before 12/1). One poster presentation at school symposium.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: One academic merit award upon matriculation, dean's list every year. Got school grant awards for two summers that I can put on the CV. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Ongoing research honors project. 

Special Bonus Points: 1 LOR from my PI, 3 from professors who have taught me, one of which is a dean here. I wouldn't call any of these LORs "fantastic" though-I just don't know. 

Contacted one UChicago alumnus professor at top choice school. He seemed to have interest. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Can't think of any for now. 

Applying to Where:

Harvard 

Yale

Rockefeller

Weill

Memorial Sloan

Columbia

Icahn

Johns Hopkins

U of Washington

U of Pennsylvania

U of Chicago

Northwestern

^ I'm not a biologist so I can't comment, but I would add a couple of lower ranked schools to your list. Not that you're not competitive, but one of my best friends graduated from a top three ivy with a similar GPA (but weaker GRE) and got rejected across the board for physical science PhDs. Literally across the board. A similar thing happened to another friend. 

Lemma, thank you for your reply! I'm actually prepared to get "rejected across the board" since my school list is so top heavy. In that case I will probably stay at my undergrad school as a lab technician and apply for the next season. Since this is brought up, anyone has any suggestion on jobs/industry opportunities in case my application falls through? I didn't look into it so I'm pretty ignorant on this subject. 

Take a look at the NIH Post-Bac Program. The experience is obviously lab/PI dependent but if you do your due diligence (talk to previous post-bacs from the lab, ask about what a PIs goals for their post-bacs ect) it can be a great experience. I've been in it for a year and a half (applying now) and its given me a chance to explore and meet faculty from NIH and extramural programs. Plus most people I know in the program walk out with a publication or two.

17 hours ago, climber13 said:

Take a look at the NIH Post-Bac Program. The experience is obviously lab/PI dependent but if you do your due diligence (talk to previous post-bacs from the lab, ask about what a PIs goals for their post-bacs ect) it can be a great experience. I've been in it for a year and a half (applying now) and its given me a chance to explore and meet faculty from NIH and extramural programs. Plus most people I know in the program walk out with a publication or two.

Thank you for the information! Yeah I agree that the NIH program sounds like a fantastic opportunity for recent graduates. Sadly I'm neither a US citizen nor a permanent resident and therefore am not eligible to apply. 

On 10/20/2017 at 6:19 PM, JacquelineY said:

=

On 10/20/2017 at 6:19 PM, JacquelineY said:

I feel I'm going too high, but on the other hand I find going to places "not as good as my undergrad" (for the sake of argument, no offense intended) a bit hard to swallow, and I'm also extremely picky about locations. Would appreciate any advice. Thank you all in advance!

Undergrad Institution: University of Chicago
Minor(s): Classical Studies
GPA in Major: 3.75-ish
Overall GPA: 3.79
Position in Class: Average as a freshman,  getting better every year (It depends on the class. Maybe above average to close to top?). One poor grade in chem. (I've been told 3.8+ would be top 10% at my school)
Type of Student: International, female

Q: 167 (92%)
V: 170 (99%)
W: 5.5 (98%)
B: 900 (98%; Mol&Cell: 96%; Organismal: 98%; E&E: 92%)

Research Experience: Less than two years at my school, cancer biology. One publication in preparation (Nat med), middle author (If the reviewers are quick, could expect to hear back from them right before 12/1). One poster presentation at school symposium.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: One academic merit award upon matriculation, dean's list every year. Got school grant awards for two summers that I can put on the CV. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Ongoing research honors project. 

Special Bonus Points: 1 LOR from my PI, 3 from professors who have taught me, one of which is a dean here. I wouldn't call any of these LORs "fantastic" though-I just don't know. 

Contacted one UChicago alumnus professor at top choice school. He seemed to have interest. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Can't think of any for now. 

Applying to Where:

Harvard 

Yale

Rockefeller

Weill

Memorial Sloan

Columbia

Icahn

Johns Hopkins

U of Washington

U of Pennsylvania

U of Chicago

Northwestern

I would only ask for three letters total, no need to add a fourth one, it doesn't add anything. Your numbers are great, but your research experience might be lacking--- though getting a publication will definitely help you (not having it won't break your app, so don't worry about that). I understand the argument that you're bringing up about not going to a school worse than your undergrad, but be aware of the potential consequences. As a poster above said, if no single school accepts you, there's plenty of tech positions available at top schools and postbac programs you can apply to. 

Considering holding off a bit to try to find work as a lab or field tech. I would prefer to have three strong letters of rec., more experience, (maybe a publication), and get rid of some student debt before committing to graduate school. Regardless, I'll be submitting some applications out this December. I'm not really sure how competitive I am, so I've been planning on applying to a spectrum of schools (each with 1-3 potential PI's with closely matching research interests). I appreciate any comments/criticisms/recommendations! 

Undergrad Institution: (research university,  ~top 30 overall universities)
Major(s): Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Minor(s): none
GPA in Major: ~3.56?
Overall GPA: 3.64
Position in Class: (top third?)
Type of Student: (Domestic, male, mixed ethnicity)

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 165(96th percentile)
V: 158(69th percentile) 
W: 4.5(82nd percentile)
B: NA

Research Experience: 

• 2 years as a undergraduate research assistant (insect evo-devo lab)
  • summer internship with the National Park Service (endangered wildlife management)
  • 3-month field research internship (plant ecology)
  • 1 poster presentation

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

• Institutional research fellowship
  • Institutional research grant
  • Dean's list 7/8 semesters (issue with number of credits one semester)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)

• Teaching assistant for a semester in a relevant class

• no publications :(

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

• LGBT (not sure if that's a bonus?)

• 2 strong letters of rec.
  • 1 moderately strong letter of rec.

Applying to Where:

Cornell - (plant-insect interactions)

UT Austin  - (plant-insect interactions)

UC Riverside - (plant-insect interactions)

Vanderbilt - (plant-insect interactions)

Also:

Cornell - (mainly avian) disease ecology and conservation

Princeton - (mainly avian) disease ecology and conservation

Northern Arizona University - (mainly avian) disease ecology and conservation

University of Wyoming - (mainly avian) disease ecology and conservation

U. Southern Florida - (mainly avian) disease ecology and conservation

Hi guys! I posted my profile earlier but didnt get any feedback. I have shortened up my list / gotten my actual GRE scores so I decided to repost. 

I have a psychology/neuro BSc but I would like to point out that most of my coursework is focused on biology, and I hope that my research experience in biology and bioengineering can help me in my applications to programs that ask for biological science degrees. Also, my recommendations should really emphasize my ability to conduct independent biology research.

Undergrad Institution: McGill University, Canada, pretty good international research reputation
Major(s): Psychology + Neuroscience (but most coursework on molecular bio/neuro... almost all classes in Faculty of Science)
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.73
Overall GPA: 3.58 (upward trend: 3.22, 3.72, 3.86, 3.73)
Position in Class: We didnt get ranks, but I have above average grades in all of my classes
Type of Student: Canadian + American dual citizen, Male

Q: 164
V: 164
W: 5
B:

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

1 year in a cognitive psychology/neuroanatomy lab at McGill, 6 hours a week, big PI but not a relevant lab experience

2.5 years in a collaborative project between a professor and an anatomy and cell biology professor at McGill, molecular biology and bioengineering project, 3 full-time summers, around 30 hours a week throughout the school year, trained many graduate students on microscopy and surface patterning techniques

6 months in computational biology lab at Imperial College London while studying abroad at UCL, 1x a week for 3-4 hours

4.5 months post-graduation in a microfluidics lab in Japan as a summer intern, I was brought in to the research group to help develop cellular applications for the platforms they were developing as the lab mainly consisted of physicists and chemists

(Current) Research technician and assistant at Columbia medical center, working full time and will have been working here for two years before joining graduate school, pathology and cell biology lab where I am working on a few projects 

Conference proceedings/Posters: First author conference proceeding and poster presentation at international conference in cell engineering and biomaterials

Third author on conference proceeding and oral presentation at international bioengineering conference

3x poster presentations at Canadian national neuroscience conferences, 3x at Montreal local conferences

Publications: First authored publication should be submitted before application (hopefully accepted) from Montreal lab

Third author and fifth author publication from Japan lab

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans Interdisciplinary Research Award (McGill)

Awarded 3x summer research awards/fellowships through NSERC fellowship program

Invited as an intern to Japanese institute, which included full funding for travel and living expenses

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Full time research technician at Columbia

Special Bonus Points: Took 2-3 grad level biology classes, got A's
Two LoRs are from big names in cell biology/molecular biology 
My projects at McGill were run by me independently as the PhD student I was working with left after about 2 months of work, so I stayed on for the rest of the project and just worked directly with the professor

Applying to Where:

Harvard BBS

MIT Biology

Berkeley MCB

Stanford Biosciences

University of Washington

Columbia Integrated program

MSK Gerstner grad program

BU

David Rockefeller PhD program

Thank again!! Also, I ended up only being able to study for the GRE for about a week because I got swamped with lab work due to a grant deadline... do you guys think it would be worth retaking it at all? 

On 10/6/2017 at 4:34 AM, nt1996 said:

Hello! I would love some feedback on my current list of schools. It feels pretty top heavy right now since I'm not too confident about my GRE scores and I'm not sure if my PI will be able to get the papers with my name on them out in time. I am interested in cellular and molecular biology so if anyone has suggestions for programs that will make my list more well rounded that would be awesome. Thanks!

Undergrad Institution: UC San Diego
Major(s): General Biology
GPA in Major: 3.87
Overall GPA: 3.87
Position in Class: Near top
Type of Student: Domestic female

GRE Scores:
Q: 161
V: 156
W: 4.5

Research Experience: 

2 years as undergraduate researcher in stem cell biology/signal transduction pathways (2 publications will hopefully be under review if all goes well, one first or second author and one middle author)

College honors program for 8/9 quarters

TA for lower division biology lab for 4 quarters

Special Bonus Points: 

1 great LOR from PI 

1 LOR from professor I have TA'ed for and taken classes with multiple times 

1 LOR from  biology lab professor

Applying to Where:

UCSF - TETRAD

Johns Hopkins - BCMB

Duke 

U Washington

U Penn - CAMB

BU - PiBS

OHSU - BCMB

NYU Sackler

Tufts Sackler - CMDB

Looks like you have a solid application - good work!  It's recommended to have the GRE scores in the 160's, but not having that won't keep you from being considered.

As for schools, I'd suggest checking out UT Austin to see if there are labs there that might interest you.  While I ended up choosing a computational biology program, I interviewed at UT's BCMB and it was one of my favorites. Plus, there's plenty of CA transplants out in Austin to commiserate with!

@factanonverba

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think applications at these programs are judged differently on when they're submitted. I think I'll be submitting mid-November, I'm basically waiting for my official GRE scores to come in.

Edited by Some violinist

Undergrad Institution: UC Davis
Major(s): Genetics (BS) and Psychology (BA)
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:3.31
Overall GPA: 3.32
Position in Class: (No numbers needed, but are you top? near top? average? struggling?)
Type of Student: Minority; female (Pacific islander)

Q:164/159
V:156/158
W:4.5/-
B: 730 (67th percentile) : Cell Bio 75th, Organismal 87th, Evo & Eco 28th ( i know, abysmal; I only took one class during college and that was almost 4 years ago); Don't even think I will submit this because i'm so upset with my evo and & eco percentile, even though I'm more interested in Molecular Bio and Immunology Programs 

TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)
I had 14 months of research experience during undergrad in a molecular biol lab, no publications; By the time I go to school, I would have had 3 years of Industry experience in a small chemical and biologics company, mostly with antibodies)
Dean's List last two quarters 

Been on multiple posters and have been co-author on two posters that were presented at many conferences. 

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)
Female and Pacific Islander (minority)
I wasn't born in America but have lived here most of my life; I have a lot of research experience. Getting a LOR from undergrad Pi and supervisors from my current job: VP of protein sciences and director of protein sciences 
Applying to Where: 

Only PhD programs
UCSF - BMS

Scripps - Doctorate program hopefully Immunology, molecular bio or biochemistry

Stanford - Immunology, Cancer Biology and Molecular Biology ( Biosciences Program) 

UCSD - Biology

UCLA - Bioscience - Immunity, Microbes & Molecular Pathogenesis 

CU Boulder - Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology

Arizona State - Molecular Bio 

USC - Biological and Biomedical Sciences

WUSTL- Immunology 

Cornell - Biomedical and Biological Sciences 

Overall, I have a background coming from molecular biology and have been working most with antibodies for the last year and a half and really like it, so I want to go into programs that are more immunology related like T-cell and B-cell studies, otherwise more protein-protein interactions 

I know my GPA is low and I don't have the money or time to take more classes, what are my chances for these programs. My undergrad pI was the adviser for the genetics program and can definitely speak to the rigor of our Genetics major offered at UC Davis and I will mention having a rough first year since I am the first in my family to go to a UC but I still hope to get into a decent program. Do I have a shot at any of the top tier schools? Or maybe not even at the lower tier schools?

Thanks for your advice 

On 10/30/2017 at 6:03 PM, ppratap said:

Undergrad Institution: UC Davis
Major(s): Genetics (BS) and Psychology (BA)
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:3.31
Overall GPA: 3.32
Type of Student: Minority; female (Pacific islander)

Q:164/159
V:156/158
W:4.5/-
B: 730 (67th percentile) : Cell Bio 75th, Organismal 87th, Evo & Eco 28th ( i know, abysmal; I only took one class during college and that was almost 4 years ago); Don't even think I will submit this because i'm so upset with my evo and & eco percentile, even though I'm more interested in Molecular Bio and Immunology Programs 

TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)

I had 14 months of research experience during undergrad in a molecular biol lab, no publications; By the time I go to school, I would have had 3 years of Industry experience in a small chemical and biologics company, mostly with antibodies)
Dean's List last two quarters 

Been on multiple posters and have been co-author on two posters that were presented at many conferences. 

Female and Pacific Islander (minority)
I wasn't born in America but have lived here most of my life; I have a lot of research experience. Getting a LOR from undergrad Pi and supervisors from my current job: VP of protein sciences and director of protein sciences 
Applying to Where: 

Only PhD programs
UCSF - BMS

Scripps - Doctorate program hopefully Immunology, molecular bio or biochemistry

Stanford - Immunology, Cancer Biology and Molecular Biology ( Biosciences Program) 

UCSD - Biology

UCLA - Bioscience - Immunity, Microbes & Molecular Pathogenesis 

CU Boulder - Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology

Arizona State - Molecular Bio 

USC - Biological and Biomedical Sciences

WUSTL - Immunology 

Cornell - Biomedical and Biological Sciences 

Overall, I have a background coming from molecular biology and have been working most with antibodies for the last year and a half and really like it, so I want to go into programs that are more immunology related like T-cell and B-cell studies, otherwise more protein-protein interactions 

I know my GPA is low and I don't have the money or time to take more classes, what are my chances for these programs. My undergrad pI was the adviser for the genetics program and can definitely speak to the rigor of our Genetics major offered at UC Davis and I will mention having a rough first year since I am the first in my family to go to a UC but I still hope to get into a decent program. Do I have a shot at any of the top tier schools? Or maybe not even at the lower tier schools?

Thanks for your advice 

Your list might be a little top heavy. I would say maybe substitute one or two of the reaches (UCSF, Stanford, Cornell, WUSTL) for a middle tier. As you suggested, I wouldn't include the subject test.