FRQSC (Quebec) 2018/2019

Adelaide9216

Anyone here living in Quebec? I was not eligible for this scholarship when I first applied for my MSW, my grades were a little bit below what was required, but I was told that with my entire undergraduate studies, I am now elligible.

Anyone here is going to apply to it?

13 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Amazing! Any advice ?

Because you are already in grad school, your chances are much higher. I think when you already have a supervisor (i.e., you write the name of your supervisor IF APPLICABLE in the application), it looks much better. And you are competing with people who are still in their undergrad who don't know yet who their advisor will be (unless a prof agrees they write their name). Having a SSHRC CGS-M will also help. Good grades/research history always helps :)

Good to know. I already have a supervisor and since I got the CGS-M and have a lot of volunteer/work and a bit of research experience, I think I have good chances to get it. I will start working on my application this August. Fingers crossed! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-07-21 at 7:47 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

I noticed that they ask for a justification for the university and supervisor I've chosen. I don't really know what to put in there. Any thoughts or suggestions ? 

Ironically I think you're the only one who can answer that question! What does your supervisor/institution bring you that others couldn't? It can be an area of expertise, a specific methodology, the strength of the program, etc. 

On 2017-08-03 at 7:33 PM, PsychBoy said:

Ironically I think you're the only one who can answer that question! What does your supervisor/institution bring you that others couldn't? It can be an area of expertise, a specific methodology, the strength of the program, etc. 

If I say that she is an expert on my topic, that I've worked with her since the beginning of my undergraduate studies, that she offered me funding, that she is extremely reknown, kind, accessible and a great listerner, is that okay? 

On 2017-08-06 at 4:20 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

If I say that she is an expert on my topic, that I've worked with her since the beginning of my undergraduate studies, that she offered me funding, that she is extremely reknown, kind, accessible and a great listerner, is that okay? 

expert in your area, yes--but you need concrete explanations, examples, article references, etc.

you need to show how working with the same person for several years is a strength for you/in your field...for some reviewers, this could show a lack of mobility and diversity...how is your supervisor vital in conducting your graduate research? 

the other elements are not relevant imo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see that the form is online, but we cannot access it. We can only access it 24 hours before the deadline (which I find weird, it must be a bug.)

Also, for my CV and other experiences, I've got a lot of volunteer experience and I don't know if it's worth it to put it all in there. I already cut a lot of the non-relevant stuff, but I would like to include everything else that's left because there were a lot of major volunteer experiences, even if they aren't "research-based".

But I am attending a workshop at the end of next month at my uni and hopefully I'll get even more feedback, just like I did when I applied for SSHRC. 

On 2017-08-08 at 1:02 AM, PsychBoy said:

expert in your area, yes--but you need concrete explanations, examples, article references, etc.

you need to show how working with the same person for several years is a strength for you/in your field...for some reviewers, this could show a lack of mobility and diversity...how is your supervisor vital in conducting your graduate research? 

the other elements are not relevant imo

Hello, so I am currently working on this part. I mentioned her 20+ years of experience in the field, the fact that she is the director of a research center that focuses a lot on my research topic, that she has research chairs, that I've been an RA for her, etc. I also justified the program that I've chosen as being the perfect fit for my research project in terms of courses and course content. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. I entered the emails of the two profs that have accepted to write a LOR for me. Now I log in and I don't see their names and emails anymore. I'm assuming it's a bug from their new system. Does anyone else have trouble with their new website?

2 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Wow. I entered the emails of the two profs that have accepted to write a LOR for me. Now I log in and I don't see their names and emails anymore. I'm assuming it's a bug from their new system. Does anyone else have trouble with their new website?

My honours student told me the exact same thing today. I made her try the French version of the portal and it worked... 

11 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

9 hours ago, PsychBoy said:

My honours student told me the exact same thing today. I made her try the French version of the portal and it worked... 

The same thing is happening to me... I just tried the French version and it still doesn't save my referees information...

1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I am using the French version as well, and I still don't see my referees. 

I will contact them, this makes no sense... I have tried it with many browsers and OS and none worked. 

Edit: Just sent a message and got this automatic reply. I don't have this section where they say I'm supposed to see my referees saved... I just messaged my referees to ask whether they have received a message to send a reference letter... This is so confusing!

Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 2.12.16 PM.png

Edited by Neposydko

I can translate what they are saying if that's helpful to you.

So they are saying that it is normal that we do not see the section for referees, that it's a bug. They are asking to not add them once again otherwise they will appear twice. They suggest verifying the section "Autres statuts" to be able to see their names.

3 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I can translate what they are saying if that's helpful to you.

So they are saying that it is normal that we do not see the section for referees, that it's a bug. They are asking to not add them once again otherwise they will appear twice. They suggest verifying the section "Autres statuts" to be able to see their names.

I understand the note, I'm just confused because I don't have this "Other statuses" section anywhere in the application. Do you see it in yours? 

But regardless, I asked my referees if they got an invitation for a reference letter from them, and if they didn't receive it (before I got this note I must have entered them at least 10 times... =.=) then I will call the FRQSC. 

3 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Yes, I see it. It's on the page right before you can get access to your form in progress. I don't know if I explain it well, but it's the step before you can access your form. 

Oh thanks! :)

Yes I just found it! Wow... So it did send like 10+ e-mails to one of my referees.... 

So if I understand this right, the bibliography section of the application is basically the references we used in our proposal. Is this right? It's not including anything more, such as additional relevant references to our topic of research right?