Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

I want to create a thread for applicants to Statistics MS and PhD programs to discuss schools to apply to, chance each other, exchange SOPs, and later discuss admissions results.

I personally am applying to Statistics PhD programs and am hoping to specialize in applied Bayesian statistics.  I am a domestic female applicant.  I am applying to Baylor (first choice), Duke (reach), Missouri, Florida State, Kansas State, Virginia Tech, Rice, and Southern Methodist University.  I am also applying to the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program.  

Great idea! I'm also interested in Bayesian statistics, particularly their uses for understanding the theory behind deep neural networks. This fall I'll be applying to PhD Statistics programs at Chicago, Penn, Columbia, and MIT (Operations Research), plus Toronto and Waterloo in Canada (where I live). Still considering whether I'll also apply to Berkeley and CMU. I'd love to swap SOPs with someone, so message me if you're interested!

I was hoping to narrow my research interests by now but they have only grown broader. If there is enough interest in swapping SOPs we could make a slack group. I put the schools I am applying to in my signature but in case it doesn't appear on mobile I am applying to biostatistics programs: Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, UNC, Duke, Michigan, NC State. My list feels risky* so I might drop NC State for more of a safety school somewhere in the east.

Edited by statbiostat2017

• 3 months later...

Visited Baylor this week and loved it.  Changing my list to:  Baylor (first choice), Duke, Columbia, UT Austin, Missouri,  Kansas State, Florida State, and Virginia Tech.  My list is probably final at this point.  I guess it is time to start customizing SOPs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2017 at 7:51 PM, BrittanyA1701 said:

Visited Baylor this week and loved it.  Changing my list to:  Baylor (first choice), Duke, Columbia, UT Austin, Missouri,  Kansas State, Florida State, and Virginia Tech.  My list is probably final at this point.  I guess it is time to start customizing SOPs.

That's great that you were able to visit. I am out west and my list is basically the east so I am hoping to visit schools if I get any acceptances.

I shit the bed on the GRE this past monday with a 165Q/156V but my letter writers letters are in so now it's just months of the waiting game :wacko:

On 10/29/2017 at 7:51 PM, BrittanyA1701 said:

I'm applying to Baylor too! I haven't been able to visit, but it seems really cool. BTW- is that 1701 a star trek reference? 

My stats are here: 

I think I've finalized my list now - definitely open to advice/suggestions on this list. It feels like I'm applying to a lot of schools.

Statistics PhD 

University of Wisconsin

Ohio State 

Michigan 

Statistics MS

UNC

Duke

Minnesota

Penn State

Biostatistics PhD

UNC

Michigan

Minnesota

Columbia

Brown

Edited by Taheel

2 hours ago, Taheel said:

My stats are here: 

I think I've finalized my list now - definitely open to advice/suggestions on this list. It feels like I'm applying to a lot of schools.

Statistics PhD 

University of Wisconsin

Ohio State 

Michigan 

Statistics MS

UNC

Duke

Minnesota

Penn State

Biostatistics PhD

UNC

Michigan

Minnesota

Columbia

Brown

Your list looks solid given your profile. What is your thinking in applying to masters programs? 

13 hours ago, lilchow said:

I'm applying to Baylor too! I haven't been able to visit, but it seems really cool. BTW- is that 1701 a star trek reference? 

Definitely considering emailing them and asking any questions you have.  They are very responsive and helpful.  They paid for my hotel and gas (it was impractical for me to fly but they offered to buy me a plane ticket).  They confirmed 6 spots for this cycle (all funded) and they start sending out responses in February.  Baylor's average gre scores of admitted students (from the department) are about 90% quant and 70% verbal (they don't care about AWA).  Also, 1701 is a star trek reference.  

On 11/8/2017 at 8:46 PM, statbiostat2017 said:

That's great that you were able to visit. I am out west and my list is basically the east so I am hoping to visit schools if I get any acceptances.

I shit the bed on the GRE this past monday with a 165Q/156V but my letter writers letters are in so now it's just months of the waiting game :wacko:

Assuming the rest of your application is good and you aren't exclusively applying to top programs your GRE score shouldn't ruin your chances.  Totally agree that the waiting game sucks.  

Also anyone want to trade SOPs?  Mine is done.

On 11/9/2017 at 11:34 PM, statbiostat2017 said:

Your list looks solid given your profile. What is your thinking in applying to masters programs? 

Well, I doubt I could get into the PhD program for either UNC or Duke and I'm in-state for UNC so I could afford tuition. For the other two, my reasoning is that I wanted a couple of MS to be safe but I'm still thinking about it.

• 1 month later...

I made a list of first admissions decision (accepted, waitlist, or reject) dates for the programs I applied to for the last few years and I figured it might be helpful to post it.  I think most of the inconsistency within programs is due to nonresponse bias but it is hard to tell.  The amount of data seems to decrease as rankings decrease.   Most of mine (except Duke and UT) had basically no data with GRE/GPA.   I looked at all statistics PhD responses as well and they were similar but I didn't catalog them.  Five of my apps are in and the other four are all done besides my transcript with fall grades.  I designed my list hoping for at least 3 admits and a very low chance of no offers.   

tl;dr: First round application decisions are usually made late January to February, and rejections appear to come after or at the same time as acceptances.  For my list 3-6 weeks is a typical response time. 

Duke Statistics PhD

2017 –  Acceptance 1/31,  Waitlist 1/31,  Reject 2/3

2016 –  Interview 1/11,  Acceptance 2/20, Reject 2/23, No wait list reports

2015 – Reject 1/7,  Acceptance 2/4,  no waitlist reports.

2014 – Reject 1/28, Acceptance 3/10,  no waitlist reports

Columbia Statistics PhD

2017 – Reject 3/8, no acceptance or waitlist reports

2016 – Masters acceptance 2/8, Acceptance 2/24, Waitlist 3/1, no reject reports

2015 –   Acceptance 2/11, Waitlist 2/26,  Reject 3/18

2014 –  Accepted 2/18,  Waitlist 2/19, no reject reports

UT Austin Statistics PhD

2017 – Accepted 2/1, Rejected 2/28, no waitlist reports

2016 –  Accepted 1/30,  Rejected 2/25, no waitlist reports

2015 – Accepted 12/22, Rejected 2/3, no waitlist reports

2014 – Accepted 1/31,  Rejected 2/25,  no waitlist reports

Baylor Statistics PhD (DGS said at visit results come in late January or February)

2017 – Reject  3/04, no waitlist or acceptance reports

2016 – Acceptance 2/23, no reject or waitlist reports

2015 – Reject 2/8,  no acceptance or waitlist reports

2014 – Accepted 3/18, no reject or waitlist reports

Texas A&M Statistics PhD

2017 – Acceptance 1/25, Reject 2/28, no waitlist reports

2016 -  Acceptance 1/30, Reject 2/24, no waitlist reports

2015- Acceptance 1/20,  Reject  2/25, no waitlist reports

2014 – Acceptance 2/24, no reject or waitlist reports

Kansas State Statistics PhD

2017 – Waitlisted for funding 3/2, no reject reports

2016 – No PhD data

2015 –  No PhD data

2014 – rejection 2/24, no waitlist or acceptance reports

University of Missouri Statistics PhD

2017 – Accepted 2/10,  Rejection 3/28, no waitlist reports

2016 – Accepted 2/23, no waitlist or reject reports

2015 – Accepted 2/26, Rejection 3/11, no waitlist reports

2014 – Accepted 2/20, Waitlist 2/24, Reject 3/7

Virginia Tech Statistics PhD

2017 – Interview 2/17,  Accepted 2/24, no reject or waitlist reports

2016 – Accepted 1/12, Rejected 2/16, no waitlist reports

2015 – Accepted 1/24, no reject or waitlist reports

2014 – Accepted 2/19, Rejected 2/19, no waitlist reports

Florida State Statistics PhD

2017 – Accepted 3/2,  Rejected 3/27

2016 – Accepted 2/22, no reject or waitlist reports

2015 – Accepted 3/5, no reject or waitlist reports

2014 – Accepted 3/13,  no reject or waitlist reports

Piggybacking on a previous post I will post the previous three years data on Harvard, UNC, NSU, Duke, Penn, Michigan, Vanderbilt

Harvard Biostatistics:

2017: Interview 1/6 , waitlist 2/3, accept 2/3, reject 2/10
2016: interview 1/7, waitlist 2/10, no acceptances, reject 2/10
2015: interview 1/9, waitlist 2/15, accept 2/3, reject 2/18

UNC Biostatistics:

2017: Accept 1/3, no rejects (  :o )
2016: Accept 12/28, no rejects
2015: Accept 1/12, no rejects

Penn Biostatistics:

2017: interview 12/20, waitlist 2/15, reject 2/21, accept 2/15
2016:  interview 1/13, accept 2/25, reject 3/3
2015: interview 1/15, accept 2/13, reject 3/12

Michigan Biostatistics (Including masters here since they do fast-track)

2017: accept 1/16, reject 1/20
2016: accept 1/28, reject 2/17
2015: accept 1/4 (there was a 12/2 admit but lets call that an outlier), reject 1/21

NC State Statistics:

2017: accept 1/15, reject 1/18
2016: accept 12/23, reject  2/8
2015: accept 12/22, reject 1/14

Vanderbilt Biostatistics:

2017: Interview 1/24, accept 2/23, reject 3/20
2016: accept 3/3, reject 3/4

Duke Biostatstics:
2017: Interview 2/7, accept 3/11, waitlist 3/10
2016: Interview 2/8, reject 2/9, accept 3/11
2015: Interview 1/27, reject 3/5, accept 3/10 

Just submitted the rest of my apps.  Duke (stats) seems to send out the first few weeks of January.   I am checking my email constantly.  I will try to keep y'all updated if I hear anything.   Anyone else struggling with the waiting?

I am checking my mail constantly as well. The wait is definitely brutal. To distract myself, I keep reading all day. Here's a recent article I read which discusses the very real implications of (bad) statistics - https://www.propublica.org/article/thousands-of-criminal-cases-in-new-york-relied-on-disputed-dna-testing-techniques

3 hours ago, Cal1gula said:

I am checking my mail constantly as well. The wait is definitely brutal. To distract myself, I keep reading all day. Here's a recent article I read which discusses the very real implications of (bad) statistics - https://www.propublica.org/article/thousands-of-criminal-cases-in-new-york-relied-on-disputed-dna-testing-techniques

Yes I irrationally check on the weekends and during the holidays just in case. Cal1gula, I see we have Michigan and Vanderbilt in common so its good to know we can keep each other updated on at least those!

Also being colorblind makes reading accepted vs rejected green vs red very difficult!

Edited by statbiostat2017

5 hours ago, statbiostat2017 said:

Yes I irrationally check on the weekends and during the holidays just in case. Cal1gula, I see we have Michigan and Vanderbilt in common so its good to know we can keep each other updated on at least those!

Also being colorblind makes reading accepted vs rejected green vs red very difficult!

Oh man, definitely. We have a long wait ahead of us--I don't think replies from Michigan/Vanderbilt are going to come before mid-February. Honestly, I am super-pumped that I have been accepted to two universities so far, didn't think I would be getting into any. Now only if I could get some funding (getting greedy here...) .

You are applying to all the top programs so you must have a pretty good profile. How is the Duke program btw? I was thinking of applying to it but I couldn't find a lot of info on it and had no idea how competitive it would be.

Also, fixed my sig, hope it's more readable now!

6 hours ago, Cal1gula said:

Oh man, definitely. We have a long wait ahead of us--I don't think replies from Michigan/Vanderbilt are going to come before mid-February. Honestly, I am super-pumped that I have been accepted to two universities so far, didn't think I would be getting into any. Now only if I could get some funding (getting greedy here...) .

You are applying to all the top programs so you must have a pretty good profile. How is the Duke program btw? I was thinking of applying to it but I couldn't find a lot of info on it and had no idea how competitive it would be.

Also, fixed my sig, hope it's more readable now!

I heard about Duke at a conference and a faculty member said PhD students have a chance to get paired with the MD students. The medical researchers coming out Duke are amazing so it seems like a great opportunity. I think they only accept four students (PhD) so it's very competitive.

As far as Vanderbilt goes - I think interview invites will go out before the end of this month. It's probably my #1 choice but also very competitive!

Sig looks great

24 minutes ago, statbiostat2017 said:

Day 35:

Morale is still high but anxiety is building with every MBA program spam email. Food and water remain our most valuable assets. I don't know how much longer we can go like this. Please send help.

Loved this.   Seriously the MBA and MA in education emails need to stop.   When I did GRE search service I was expected stats programs and maybe a few data science or economics programs, but all it is expensive MBAs and MA in education.  Why would anyone drop $70k a MA in math education puzzles me, but they email me still.    The worst is when Duke's MBA emails and I get excited over an email from Duke, and find it is for their stupid MBA.  Are you expecting to hear from anyone soon?  Duke stats interview requests could come any day now.