Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

8 minutes ago, asue said:

Did anyone get the call from Harvard to go to the open house? Does anyone know what the open house entails? I'm assuming an "interview" is included?

I'll try to find it but there was a good summary of the weekend on this forum. It entails meeting with faculty for informal interviews yeah.

Edited by statbiostat2017

On 1/1/2018 at 9:38 AM, Cal1gula said:

Oh man, definitely. We have a long wait ahead of us--I don't think replies from Michigan/Vanderbilt are going to come before mid-February. Honestly, I am super-pumped that I have been accepted to two universities so far, didn't think I would be getting into any. Now only if I could get some funding (getting greedy here...) .

You are applying to all the top programs so you must have a pretty good profile. How is the Duke program btw? I was thinking of applying to it but I couldn't find a lot of info on it and had no idea how competitive it would be.

Also, fixed my sig, hope it's more readable now!

You're talking about MS in biostats? Why do you think it'll take until Mid-February when decisions seem to historically come out in January?

8 hours ago, statbiostat2017 said:

Looks like Penn interview invites went out. Does this forum seem much quieter than in past years?

I thought so too, but then I looked at last year's thread. At this time last year, there were only five or so posts. Maybe we're feeling this way because we are just now entering the period of the cycle when decisions/interview invites start going out in earnest.

Has anyone heard from Duke stats yet?

Edited by speowi

13 hours ago, speowi said:

I thought so too, but then I looked at last year's thread. At this time last year, there were only five or so posts. Maybe we're feeling this way because we are just now entering the period of the cycle when decisions/interview invites start going out in earnest.

Has anyone heard from Duke stats yet?

No.  I also applied to Duke stats.   They went out 2nd week of January for the last three years.  In 2015, they sent out (some) rejections a few days before invites.   I am constantly checking my email hoping for an interview and the portal hoping not to have a rejection.  I will post on results and here too if I hear anything.  My guess is any day now since their semester starts on Wednesday.   Where else are you applying?

17 hours ago, Catsharknado said:

You're talking about MS in biostats? Why do you think it'll take until Mid-February when decisions seem to historically come out in January?

I am not familiar with Vanderbilt. But for Michigan, I think they usually sent ad in a long time range. I have gathered the date of ad from UMich for Fall 17 in thegradcafe as well as a forum in my home country as follow.

thegradcafe1.13, 1.16, 1.19, 1.25, 2.6, 2.7, 2.15, 3.10

another forum: 1.12, 1.19, 1.28, 2.1, 2.7, 2.10, 2.15, 2.16, 2.22

BTW, UMich has already sent some ad for Fall 18 before Christmas...

1 hour ago, Lexie122 said:

I am not familiar with Vanderbilt. But for Michigan, I think they usually sent ad in a long time range. I have gathered the date of ad from UMich for Fall 17 in thegradcafe as well as a forum in my home country as follow.

What other forum is that? I would like another dose of anxiety please

Here is a clean copy of my signature if you want to copy it.  If you didn't know you can change your signature under account settings. which can be found by clicking your username on the top right of a page.

Statistics PhD Applicant Fall 2018

Applying (Submitted):

Interview/Visit (/):

Rejected (/):

Waitlisted (/):

Accepted (/):

GRE: Q/V AWA, GPA:  Overall,  Upper-Level Math (major)

3 hours ago, Lexie122 said:

Really? For the MS-PhD fast track? Nothing's been uploaded to grad cafe :o

Do you have a source on that?

1 hour ago, StatHopeful said:

@Catsharknado

Checking Lexie122's post history, she's interested in MS programs and is international, so both of those may have played a role in an earlier decision.

I don't think @Lexie122 was the one who got the admit, but someone else did on the other forum she mentioned.  Plus an admit almost an entire month before other reports on gradcafe seems like its an outlier (weird circumstance we don't know about).  My experience with reviewing historic dates is that previous records can only pin down future dates by a week or so.   The nonresponse in the results survey plus the between-year variability of review times means that it is unlikely that UMich is done admitting.  An acceptance is still an acceptance, even if it is not the first one.  Mainly wrote this because I am trying to get my heart which is freaking out about my applications to listen to my brain.

23 hours ago, Catsharknado said:

Right, they start out in January but seem to go on till mid-Feb (and sometimes, March as well).

3 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

I don't think @Lexie122 was the one who got the admit, but someone else did on the other forum she mentioned.  Plus an admit almost an entire month before other reports on gradcafe seems like its an outlier (weird circumstance we don't know about).  My experience with reviewing historic dates is that previous records can only pin down future dates by a week or so.   The nonresponse in the results survey plus the between-year variability of review times means that it is unlikely that UMich is done admitting.  An acceptance is still an acceptance, even if it is not the first one.  Mainly wrote this because I am trying to get my heart which is freaking out about my applications to listen to my brain.

No, I am not. I still got nothing like most of you. 

Actually I posted those dates in order to say that UMich usually finish their decision (biostat master) in a LONG time range so it's no need to be too anxious now.

FYI

From a Chinese grad forum's 2017 reports:

The last (reported and listed) UFL's offer to Biostat PhD came April 17

... Duke Stat PhD: April 6

... UNC Stat PhD: April 3; Biostat PhD: March 12

... OSU Biostat PhD: March 31

... UPitts Biostat PhD: March 18

... NCSU Stat PhD: March 6 [FSU as well]

... UCD Stat PhD: March 12

... PSU Biostat PhD: March 7

... Emory [and Vanderbilt] Biostat PhD: Feb 23    [ I believe this is not the last date.

And there are several offer to UMich Biostat PhD around Feb 15. I don't know if I missed anything cuz the thread is a little bit messy.

The list is not complete as I am not able to check all the posts in the thread. And the list shares a small intersection with my apps.

Hope it will help to calm us down a little bit, at least for now. Good luck everyone.

An Ohio State stats acceptance just got put up.  They were one of the first ones to send out decisions the past two years,  with more following shortly after.  Not sure if this indicates that decisions are going to start coming out for stats, but I am hopeful.  I still probably have a month left to wait for decisions on most of my apps.   I wish some of them had earlier deadlines so I wouldn't have to wait for this long.  I am definitely jealous of the quick biostats decisions.