Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

2 hours ago, realllllJulia said:

It seems that UMich has also started to send out acceptances

I can hardly sit down and do my work now.

Only for the PhD program or have MS acceptances begun to roll out as well?

Excuse me while my I take some heart medication...

40 minutes ago, edward130603 said:

@rosebud123 uw biostat phd applications have already been reviewed and interview invites should be sent out soon if not already

There are two interview reports on results for uw biostat today.  They were both international students.  I think they got put up a few hours ago, so it's too early to tell if more will show up later today.  

19 minutes ago, rosebud123 said:

from past results, it seems like they usually don't do interviews. does anyone know if this is something new for them?

Maybe based on here and here.

Edited to avoid double posting:

@Catsharknado last year they admitted MS starting in February, and no MS reports have come out.  

Edited by Bayesian1701

I don't know if I've ever seen someone completely strike out on these forums but there might be some reporting bias. For those still waiting for that first acceptance, do you have a backup plan? 

I initially thought I would start applying to schools with apps due in February if I hadn't heard anything but I got a research job for this spring. I think I would just try again next year but not shoot so high.

1 hour ago, statbiostat2017 said:

I don't know if I've ever seen someone completely strike out on these forums but there might be some reporting bias. For those still waiting for that first acceptance, do you have a backup plan? 

I initially thought I would start applying to schools with apps due in February if I hadn't heard anything but I got a research job for this spring. I think I would just try again next year but not shoot so high.

Florida State's deadline is Feb 1, you could fill out the application and wait to pay the application fee until later.   They have a biostat Ph.D. but it is new(ish) I think.   I really do think you will get in somewhere. You still have 4 schools that haven't started notified and you probably aren't out of the running for NCSU and Michigan because they don't look like they have admitted a full first round yet.  I haven't seen anyone with a good profile in stats apply to multiple places and get all rejections on any of the applicant threads in recent years.  

My backup plan is to get a second undergraduate degree in economics or political science at my current university.  I have a year of scholarship left that would cover my tuition, and luckily my parents are willing to help with living expenses for the second degree if I strike out.  I doubt I could get a non-teaching job (that pays decent) on short notice so staying in school is basically my only option.  

I am also worried about the academic placement history of some of my programs.   My backup plan after graduate school is industry, but I am not sure that is what I want.  Hopefully, I can get in somewhere that won't hurt my chances on the academic job market.  I had trouble finding programs that were both good fits for me and had success on placing graduates into TT jobs.  I also don't know how competitive the academic job market is for statisticians compared to other fields (hopefully less competitive than math and the humanities).  Anyone else thinking about going into academia?

1 hour ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

Do stat programs usually do interviews? I am a CS graduate applying to few Stat PhD programs so quite curious about this

I think a few programs, like Yale and Duke, do. I don't have a comprehensive list of which programs interview, but I'm willing to bet that someone in this forum would know if a particular school you applied to interviews.

On 1/8/2018 at 2:12 PM, Bayesian1701 said:

No.  I also applied to Duke stats.   They went out 2nd week of January for the last three years.  In 2015, they sent out (some) rejections a few days before invites.   I am constantly checking my email hoping for an interview and the portal hoping not to have a rejection.  I will post on results and here too if I hear anything.  My guess is any day now since their semester starts on Wednesday.   Where else are you applying?

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this. I'm applying to 8 or 9 schools in the top 20 (vaguely defined, as Ph.D. rankings tend to be). My poor application strategy of not applying to schools that are perhaps more realistic for my profile makes the waiting process pretty nerve-wracking for me. Thanks for the signature template--I'll update my signature with details as results come in.

Edited by speowi

5 hours ago, speowi said:

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this. I'm applying to 8 or 9 schools in the top 20 (vaguely defined, as Ph.D. rankings tend to be). My poor application strategy of not applying to schools that are perhaps more realistic for my profile makes the waiting process pretty nerve-wracking for me.

I feel you! I applied to 4 top schools and plan to continue working if I'm not admitted. I don't really know how I will strengthen my application if I don't get in this cycle, so maybe I'll just be a bit less ambitious next year.

For those who got the UW Skype invitation, do you know how many people they usually admit and if all potential admits are being interviewed?

Edited by biostat314
Typo

10 hours ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

Do stat programs usually do interviews? I am a CS graduate applying to few Stat PhD programs so quite curious about this

Mainly only the top programs, but not necessarily all of the top programs, and some lower ranked ones interview.  Where in particular?  Duke, Purdue, Virginia Tech, and Yale do, but Columbia,  UT Austin, and Texas A&M do not.  It varies a lot but it seems like most don't regularly interview.  Besides Ohio State and NC State, most programs usually don't start accepting until the end of January, but interview requests should be coming out soon for the places that do interview.

1 hour ago, Cal1gula said:

Got my first rejection today, from Ohio State. Definitely stings a bit! lol

I don't think anyone gets in everywhere, especially international students.   You have already done well and you still have 7 schools to go.

3 hours ago, Cal1gula said:

Got my first rejection today, from Ohio State. Definitely stings a bit! lol

Don't worry. You have done pretty well. Hope the other 7 are good news!

On the result page, Emory has an interview this year. 

image.thumb.png.4e9207c774aa075b8bf75fe151db9153.png

I just can't help reload the result page every 5 minutes.

Edited by realllllJulia
Edit to avoid another post

No Duke news for me today.  Maybe tomorrow invites will go out?  The suspense is killing me.  Has anyone heard anything (even rumors) about Duke stats interviews? 

Congrats to all the biostats people getting accepted or invited to interview.  I am so jealous of the quicker response times.  

I wrote to Emory earlier this afternoon, because I found some applicants to the Biostat master program were given a link to register an OPUS (Online Pathway to University Students). I was really panic then as I have never heard about that before.

They replied that:

"We have not begun sending decisions for admission into the PhD program (in Biostat)."

1 hour ago, Bayesian1701 said:

Has anyone heard anything (even rumors) about Duke stats interviews? 

My bud has applied to Duke stats but doesn't use this site. I'll let you know if/when he hears something. I applied about 45 seconds late to their biostat program so I am assuming that is an auto reject but still more than a few weeks away from them sending invites.

3 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

No Duke news for me today.  Maybe tomorrow invites will go out?  The suspense is killing me.  Has anyone heard anything (even rumors) about Duke stats interviews? 

1 hour ago, statbiostat2017 said:

My bud has applied to Duke stats but doesn't use this site. I'll let you know if/when he hears something.

No news for me either. Thanks, @statbiostat2017.

Edited by speowi

2 hours ago, realllllJulia said:

I wrote to Emory earlier this afternoon, because I found some applicants to the Biostat master program were given a link to register an OPUS (Online Pathway to University Students). I was really panic then as I have never heard about that before.

They replied that:

"We have not begun sending decisions for admission into the PhD program (in Biostat)."

Damn, I was kind of hoping the acceptances for the Emory MS programs on the results pages so far were for PhD applicants that weren't good enough for the PhD program, and were instead offered a place in the MS program. Should probably cross Emory off my list as well.

Edited by Cal1gula

1 hour ago, Cal1gula said:

Damn, I was kind of hoping the acceptances for the Emory MS programs on the results pages so far were for PhD applicants that weren't good enough for the PhD program, and were instead offered a place in the MS program. Should probably cross Emory off my list as well.

I found Emory kinda tricky.

The MS program is applied through SOPHAS, I guess, while the PhD program is through the Laney Graduate school.

This reply is from LGS. I also wrote to the Dpt. Biostat, but no reply is received till now. I will update the reply as soon as I get it.

But I believe you can still hope for the good news! No news ≠ Rejection~

P.S. Do you know anything about the OPUS thing?

Edited by realllllJulia

33 minutes ago, realllllJulia said:

I found Emory kinda tricky.

The MS program is applied through SOPHAS, I guess, while the PhD program is through the Laney Graduate school.

This reply is from LGS. I also wrote to the Dpt. Biostat, but no reply is received till now. I will update the reply as soon as I get it.

But I believe you can still hope for the good news! No news ≠ Rejection~

P.S. Do you know anything about the OPUS thing?

Ah, I see. OPUS is just their online portal where the applicants can track the status of their applications. The e-mail advised us to check the portal "frequently" and that the decisions are usually posted in 3-6 weeks (my app. was forwarded to the dept. in the first week of December, so ideally, I should get a decision by the end of this month).

A heartbreaking news about Emory Biostat PhD from the department:

"The Emory Biostatistics PhD Admissions Committee has not made any final decisions on admission into the PhD program.  We are in the process of sending out invitations to visit Emory or to conduct Skype interviews. If you did not hear from us then you are not in the first round of interviews."

Congrat to those who already heard from Emory!