Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

I just found a crazy thread about ETS purposely giving people opposing experimental sections to their field.  So STEM majors get Verbal, and humanities and social scientists get quant.  This is because all people hate the sections opposite to their field, and they will then score lower and make ETS more money through retakes.  Currently, the responses are 5 opposing sections and 3 matching.  If you count the multiple attempts it's 8 opposing and 3 matching.  That would be a p-value of about 0.11 for you to get 8 or more opposing sections.

This will still be in the anecdotal phase, but this is distracting me so what did you get for your third section?  And do you agree that the data is not sufficient yet to declare this a trend? 

No Duke news for me today.   Just checked portal for rejection and there wasn't one, checked spam as well.  They are closed on Monday.  I might email them next Friday if no one has heard anything.  Hoping this doesn't mean more applications or less spots.

31 minutes ago, Bayesian1701 said:

No Duke news for me today.   Just checked portal for rejection and there wasn't one, checked spam as well.  They are closed on Monday.  I might email them next Friday if no one has heard anything.  Hoping this doesn't mean more applications or less spots.

Nothing here either. I also have a mild fear that apps are up substantially or maybe even dramatically this year.

On 1/11/2018 at 8:40 AM, Bayesian1701 said:

Mainly only the top programs, but not necessarily all of the top programs, and some lower ranked ones interview.  Where in particular?  Duke, Purdue, Virginia Tech, and Yale do, but Columbia,  UT Austin, and Texas A&M do not.  It varies a lot but it seems like most don't regularly interview.  Besides Ohio State and NC State, most programs usually don't start accepting until the end of January, but interview requests should be coming out soon for the places that do interview.

I don't think anyone gets in everywhere, especially international students.   You have already done well and you still have 7 schools to go.

How about Umich and Minnesota ? Do you know whether the schools do interview?

Edit: More details.

I just got a duke interview invitation for a skype interview.  I am domestic so I thought that was odd that they didn't want to fly me out.  It is a one on one interview with an assistant prof.  Maybe they aren't doing visits this year until acceptance.  I only thought I had like a 30% chance of getting interview.  Guess my 2 years of Bayesian research helped more than I thought it would.  They are interviewing top 15% as usual.

Edited by Bayesian1701

58 minutes ago, Bayesian1701 said:

I just got a duke interview invitation for a skype interview.  I am domestic so I thought that was odd that they didn't want to fly me out.  It is a one on one interview with an assistant prof.  Maybe they aren't doing visits this year until acceptance.  I only thought I had like a 30% chance of getting interview.  Guess my 2 years of Bayesian research helped more than I thought it would.  They are interviewing top 15% as usual.

That's great news! Bodes well for the rest of admission season

1 hour ago, Bayesian1701 said:

Congratulations! That's awesome!

3 hours ago, statbiostat2017 said:

That's great news! Bodes well for the rest of admission season

Thanks.  As a Bayesian, I am updating my beliefs with this new information. :D 

3 hours ago, speowi said:

Congratulations! That's awesome!

Thank you.  Have you heard anything?

I did some math and about 75% of domestic interviewed Duke applicants (if the 15% cut is constant and it appears to be based on past posts) are eventually offered admission.  My results may be a case study in the importance of research fit.   I was clear about my narrow research interests (applied Bayesian statistics for social science) in my SOP and mentioned that I really want to continue my undergraduate research.    Duke is a pretty good fit for me, but some of the others are not.  If fit is very important I could still get rejects at places that would look surprising given my profile.   

3 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

Thank you.  Have you heard anything?

Still nothing for me. I can't find much information about how this process goes, but it seems like it's possible that the interview invitations are released over the course of two or three days, so if I don't hear back by the end of the week, I'm probably out.

Been avoiding this forum since I sent in applications because I was so burnt out, but I'm so anxious about waiting on offers I decided to come back and see how everyone is doing! So far radio silence on everything for me except an offer for a fully funded Masters at Waterloo. Definitely hoping a PhD acceptance comes in soon!

Silence but I am expecting silence until like the 29th of January.   It was a pretty quiet day on results.  UWashington stats and UNC stats might send out results this later this week based on last year.    I think things might start to really pick up next week.  

@statbiostat2017 I am surprised NCSU rejected you.  cyberwulf thought you had pretty good odds at top programs so I think you will be fine.   

2 hours ago, statbiostat2017 said:

NC state has sent out their admissions offers. They'll be sending out rejections/waitlist on Monday. Oof

You talked to the department and this is what they said? Seems pretty early. 

Edited by Taheel

31 minutes ago, Taheel said:

You talked to the department and this is what they said? Seems pretty early. 

Friend called and relayed the info to me.

1 hour ago, Bayesian1701 said:

@statbiostat2017 I am surprised NCSU rejected you.   cyberwulf thought you had pretty good odds at top programs so I think you will be fine.   

Yep all it takes is one admit!