Fall 2018 I/O Psy

On 2/20/2018 at 1:30 PM, tb77 said:

To the person who received an interview request at Clemson University, could you message me your POI and research interests. I am hoping to hear from Clemson, it was my first choice.

Can you also message me your POI and research interests? Thanks!

5 hours ago, AGL42 said:

Yeah I've seen two people, I think, say they scheduled interviews... I still have not heard anything :(. Has anyone heard back from UCF's MS program? 

@AGL42 I made a profile just to tell you that I called the school and they said that the interview requests are sent out rolling style over the next couple weeks. I started panicking when I saw SDSU on the admissions page, but fret not, your email might still be coming!

8 hours ago, PsychYouOut said:

I meant Oklahoma. I follow football pretty closely and they're always referred to as OU, which is why I use that acronym! Thank you though!

I applied to another area of psych for OU, but i emailed my POI about a week ago and he told me that the department had sent out acceptances and that I was on the wait list so that may be the case with you as well if you have not received an official rejection or acceptance yet. 

On 2/20/2018 at 8:54 PM, Sparkybob said:

If I don't hear good news from my other schools I might just decline my 1 offer and try my luck next year in hopes for a better program. It is a very risky decision of course which is why it makes it tough. 

if you don't mind can you PM me which school sent out an offer ? I noticed I applied to similar programs. Thnks

1 hour ago, jewelzio said:

I was just offered an interview by UMD’s Masters program. Can anyone give any advice/guidance on what to expect for a 20-30 minute phone interview? 

Just make sure you have some good questions to ask them. Depending on how qualify you are the interview might just be them trying to convince you to come there rather to see if you are a good fit.

20 hours ago, mehabib7 said:

@AGL42 I made a profile just to tell you that I called the school and they said that the interview requests are sent out rolling style over the next couple weeks. I started panicking when I saw SDSU on the admissions page, but fret not, your email might still be coming!

awe thank you!! haha that was so sweet of you. Well fingers crossed for both of us! :)

On 2/22/2018 at 10:22 PM, PhDchallenger said:

Has anyone heard from Bowling Green?

Their meet and greet is next week. I met a lot of the candidates attending at George Mason.

Hey, everyone! Congrats on all of your acceptances for the 2018 year.  I stumbled upon this forum when searching for I/O Psych programs and was wondering if someone could give me their honest opinion on my chances of being accepted by any program, given that you have seen the process firsthand.

Program of interest: Industrial-Organizational Psychology

Research interests: Emotional regulation, work-life balance, productivity, how diversity influences job application processes, social undermining and social support, CWBs

I haven't taken the GRE's yet but I test pretty well and plan on studying all summer using various tools to get ready.

Undergrad. GPA: 3.44

Education:

I'm graduating in May with a B.S. in Biobehavioral Health from Penn State and I've taken 15 credits of psychology courses (including I/O Psychology) and the combined GPA from those courses is a 3.8

Research Experience:

7 months of data entry in Alicia Grandey's Emotional Labor Lab at Penn State

6 months as a research assistant in a Diversity Lab at Penn State

I plan on continuing the research assistant job into the summer and fall before I apply in December.

Could someone please weigh in on my chances at being accepted to a Ph.D. program given my background and grades? I decided a year ago that I wanted to do IO psych and it was too late to change my major.  Biobehavioral Health is very related to psychology and sociology.  I have asked my advisors and professors about my chances and they all say to keep going for it, but I'm not sure if they just don't have the heart to give me the hard facts.  

Just someone who doesn't want to keep barking up the wrong tree,

Thanks!

7 hours ago, StudentGuy said:

Research interests: Emotional regulation, work-life balance, productivity, how diversity influences job application processes, social undermining and social support, CWBs

I haven't taken the GRE's yet but I test pretty well and plan on studying all summer using various tools to get ready.

Education:

I’m  graduating in May with a B.S. in Biobehavioral Health from Penn State and I've taken 15 credits of psychology courses (including I/O Psychology) and the combined GPA from those courses is a 3.8

Research Experience:

I plan on continuing the research assistant job into the summer and fall before I apply in December.

Hi! I definitely think you should apply. Obviously no one can really guess where/whether you’ll get an offer, but I think you have a shot. Some people will probably say your research experience section is smaller than ideal, but I only worked in one lab for 3 semesters and I have 2 offers so far. I think it’s just as important to be able to articulate what you got out of the experience as anything else. Definitely make sure that you’re forming a close relationship with both of your research supervisors, because good rec letters will help you out a lot. Your overall GPA is a little low, but you can offset that with a strong GRE score. Have you taken any stat courses? If so, it helps to emphasize them because quant abilities are important in I/O. 

Personal opinion on this may differ, but I think it’s ok to briefly mention in a personal statement that you became interested in I/O later in your undergrad career. NOT from a perspective of making excuses for less experience or anything like that, but giving it as context to show how you then immediately dove headfirst into research and learning more about the field. 

Hey, everyone! Congrats on all of your acceptances for the 2018 year.  I stumbled upon this forum when searching for I/O Psych programs and was wondering if someone could give me their honest opinion on my chances of being accepted by any program, given that you have seen the process firsthand.

Education:

I'm graduating in May with a B.S. in Biobehavioral Health from Penn State and I've taken 15 credits of psychology courses (including I/O Psychology) and the combined GPA from those courses is a 3.8

Research Experience:

Could someone please weigh in on my chances at being accepted to a Ph.D. program given my background and grades? I decided a year ago that I wanted to do IO psych and it was too late to change my major.  Biobehavioral Health is very related to psychology and sociology.  I have asked my advisors and professors about my chances and they all say to keep going for it, but I'm not sure if they just don't have the heart to give me the hard facts.  

Just someone who doesn't want to keep barking up the wrong tree,

Thanks!

I think your GRE will matter more for your chances than others because of your average GPA. That being said, if you've taken more science/natural science courses and that's why your GPA is under a 3.5 then that might look better for you than if you were a psych major with a 3.4. You have a good GPA for your psych classes so you're good there. Have you taken statistics? Did you get A's in those classes? 

You have fine research experience (and length) so you'll want to get glowing LORs from those professors and emphasize the skills that you learned in those labs. Can they speak to your capabilities and initiative in a research setting and vouch for your success in a PhD program which is heavily research? That will matter a lot for you. 

If you can bring your GPA up to at least a 3.5 before you apply that would be best since some schools will expect that for a PhD program (depends on the program though) and since your competition is going to be that much higher due to fewer applicants being admitted to doctoral programs you're going to want to get your numbers as competitive as possible. So right now I would definitely try to do very well on your GRE so you have that to fall back on. 

Definitely go for it, nothing you can lose and you can have a fair shot, but make sure to apply broadly. Good luck :) 

2 hours ago, TNZD90 said:

I think your GRE will matter more for your chances than others because of your average GPA. That being said, if you've taken more science/natural science courses and that's why your GPA is under a 3.5 then that might look better for you than if you were a psych major with a 3.4. You have a good GPA for your psych classes so you're good there. Have you taken statistics? Did you get A's in those classes? 

You have fine research experience (and length) so you'll want to get glowing LORs from those professors and emphasize the skills that you learned in those labs. Can they speak to your capabilities and initiative in a research setting and vouch for your success in a PhD program which is heavily research? That will matter a lot for you. 

If you can bring your GPA up to at least a 3.5 before you apply that would be best since some schools will expect that for a PhD program (depends on the program though) and since your competition is going to be that much higher due to fewer applicants being admitted to doctoral programs you're going to want to get your numbers as competitive as possible. So right now I would definitely try to do very well on your GRE so you have that to fall back on. 

Definitely go for it, nothing you can lose and you can have a fair shot, but make sure to apply broadly. Good luck :) 

Thanks for the insight. To answer some of your questions, the reason my GPA is low is getting C's in organic chemistry and nutrition classes. Other than that I'm a solid A student with B's sprinkled in.  I have taken a calculus class and a statistics class, but I got B's in both. So that's definitely not going to a strong suit of my application, but I have vastly improved my statistics skills through research. Do you have a suggestion on how to make this point within the application process?

2 hours ago, StudentGuy said:

I have vastly improved my statistics skills through research. Do you have a suggestion on how to make this point within the application process?

Not who you replied to but from personal experience, I used my personal statement to express this! I think the important thing is to emphasize the positives rather than focusing on any negatives (not that a B in stat is terrible or anything, but you get my point). For example, my GRE quant was mediocre (62nd percentile). I didn't bring this up in the statement (no need to remind them about it lol), but I went into detail about my experiences applying stats knowledge to the research process. My letter writers also asked me if there was anything specific I'd like them to highlight, so I asked the professor in charge of my lab to discuss my involvement with statistical analysis. 

Thanks for the insight. To answer some of your questions, the reason my GPA is low is getting C's in organic chemistry and nutrition classes. Other than that I'm a solid A student with B's sprinkled in.  I have taken a calculus class and a statistics class, but I got B's in both. So that's definitely not going to a strong suit of my application, but I have vastly improved my statistics skills through research. Do you have a suggestion on how to make this point within the application process?

Like the person above said, talk about your experience with stats in your research setting and what you did/learned. If you've learned a lot about a specific program (R, SPSS, etc) put that in too. C's in inorganic chemistry is going to matter less and like the person above said you should emphasize that you changed your career path and pursued I/O once you found out about it (and highlight your grades and research there). Chemistry doesn't apply to I/O so don't worry *too* much since your other grades are good. Don't make excuses in your personal statement but it's okay to say that you realized biohealth wasn't for you and I/O was more your forte, or something like that. Make sure to look at the stats of the programs you want to apply to so you know how you compare and which make sense.