Fall 2018 I/O Psy

I think barring something unexpected I ended up with 1 acceptance and 3 wait list out of 9 applications which I think is pretty alright given my weak application (Post application I had 2 poster submitted which would be my first production of my research.) It's weird I think I can have a better chance next year to get into better programs because I know I will have more positives in my profile. 

But as always depends on my waitlist status. 

13 hours ago, sergiololo12 said:

Hello, has anyone heard anything from the master's at University of Maryland or UNC Charlotte?

I got an acceptance from St. Mar

If you're talking about the MPS at University of Maryland, I interviewed for it end of February and was accepted mid-March. I remember the director saying it would take up a month to make a decision, but you can reach out to her if you needed her to expedite it for your decisions. I was transferred from the PhD program. Good luck!

13 hours ago, PhDreamer said:

If you're talking about the MPS at University of Maryland, I interviewed for it end of February and was accepted mid-March. I remember the director saying it would take up a month to make a decision, but you can reach out to her if you needed her to expedite it for your decisions. I was transferred from the PhD program. Good luck!

yeah, I sent my application like early March, maybe that's why I haven't heard anything. Thanks for the info.

On 2/5/2018 at 8:21 AM, Nut-ella said:

I heard back from Portland State. Their funding situation is still unclear (I think that's the reason your POI didn't write you back). They may not have funding to admit any I/O candidates. 

I just heard from Portland today. POI emailed me today saying they made decisions. 3 slots were offer for 100+ applicants. I was wait listed. Please let me know if you were offered an acceptance that you don't plan to accept! 

On 3/26/2018 at 5:58 PM, AGonzalez96 said:

Has anyone heard back from SJSU? They said that they would be sending out admission decisions in mid-March and I've been checking constantly!

I had an interview and was accepted. I heard got my official acceptance on March 19th.

I don't know if this is typical or atypical, but I feel like it is worth sharing to hear your perspectives. 

Due to a very odd road to this point, I had very little research experience. With that said, I applied to 4 schools:

Clemson (PhD), UNC-Charlotte (Master's), East Carolina (Master's), and Appalachian State (Master's)

Clemson was obviously my reach, so I assumed I would end up in a Master's Program where I would have the chance to  research and complete a thesis to have a much more competitive doctoral application. Well, from reading on here, I noticed that Clemson had already had interviews, but I had heard absolutely nothing from them so I assumed a rejection and moved on...

So, about two weeks ago, I received an e-mail from Clemson's School of Management. They are starting their first cohort of Organizational Behavior in their PhD of Business Administration Program. They reached out to me because they had asked the I/O Department for any students who didn't quite make it into their program, but had research interests and experience that would highly qualify for their program. That week, I completed a phone interview with three faculty members and officially was offered acceptance into the program yesterday. Without going into too much detail, the offer came with a full tuition waiver and a great annual stipend.

Has anyone else experienced this? How does an Organizational Behavior PhD from a Business School compare to an Organizational Psychology PhD?

Thanks!

9 hours ago, NDB said:

I don't know if this is typical or atypical, but I feel like it is worth sharing to hear your perspectives. 

Due to a very odd road to this point, I had very little research experience. With that said, I applied to 4 schools:

Clemson (PhD), UNC-Charlotte (Master's), East Carolina (Master's), and Appalachian State (Master's)

Clemson was obviously my reach, so I assumed I would end up in a Master's Program where I would have the chance to  research and complete a thesis to have a much more competitive doctoral application. Well, from reading on here, I noticed that Clemson had already had interviews, but I had heard absolutely nothing from them so I assumed a rejection and moved on...

So, about two weeks ago, I received an e-mail from Clemson's School of Management. They are starting their first cohort of Organizational Behavior in their PhD of Business Administration Program. They reached out to me because they had asked the I/O Department for any students who didn't quite make it into their program, but had research interests and experience that would highly qualify for their program. That week, I completed a phone interview with three faculty members and officially was offered acceptance into the program yesterday. Without going into too much detail, the offer came with a full tuition waiver and a great annual stipend.

Has anyone else experienced this? How does an Organizational Behavior PhD from a Business School compare to an Organizational Psychology PhD?

Thanks!

First congratulations! It's a great feeling to get admitted

Second from the little I read Organization Behavior is a much more Academic focused career path than I/O. Just from the tidbits I have read it seems that field is more concern with getting people into academia than industry. The connection with I/O that I read on reddit/IOpsychology a while ago is that some I/O people go teach at OB programs but OB people don't go teach at I/O programs. So if that is your end goal than it is fine. 

Just I will be worried about how reputable the program will be in helping you get a job in Academia given it's new.

On 3/29/2018 at 7:41 PM, Sparkybob said:

Sorry for the double post but this is an interesting article ranking I/O programs in a different way. Maybe it can help you guys/gals out either this year or next year.

http://my.siop.org/tip/jan18/editor/ArtMID/13745/ArticleID/332/The-Results-Are-In-Updated-Alternative-I-O-Graduate-Program-Rankings

I read up on this as well and a few of the articles lead me to question their methods. Not to be too critical but these rankings do influence the programs people apply to. I think SIOP should get potential applicant impressions before releasing these to the world. 

A field that prides itself on being rigorous shouldn't throw things at the wall and see what sticks.

There are a lot of great elements in the content but some applicants may just look at the rankings without seeing the fine-print. I was one of those applicants.  You can quickly realize that the "best school" and the 10th best school statistically don't differ more than chance, or that a lot samples are based on self-selection.

14 minutes ago, Left Skew said:

I read up on this as well and a few of the articles lead me to question their methods. Not to be too critical but these rankings do influence the programs people apply to. I think SIOP should get potential applicant impressions before releasing these to the world. 

A field that prides itself on being rigorous shouldn't throw things at the wall and see what sticks.

There are a lot of great elements in the content but some applicants may just look at the rankings without seeing the fine-print. I was one of those applicants.  You can quickly realize that the "best school" and the 10th best school statistically don't differ more than chance, or that a lot samples are based on self-selection.

Yea I do agree here. I was guilty of just looking at the SIOP ranking when I first started doing research on programs too. My method of ranking then mostly went to which schools had the most alums in faculty positions elsewhere. Since I have an interest in Academia I feel that would be a good gauge of effectiveness.

I do think after the first tier of schools it becomes a lot more murky in terms of which schools have the most resources.

Has anyone heard from Clemson MS? They're the ONLY program I have not heard back from. I got an email from them on 3/21 that they were beginning to review the MS applications... :blink: lol. They are tied as my first choice with another program I've been accepted into, and I have to get back to them on the 15th but would like a little bit of time to think things over... I'm dying. 

4 hours ago, AGL42 said:

Has anyone heard from Clemson MS? They're the ONLY program I have not heard back from. I got an email from them on 3/21 that they were beginning to review the MS applications... :blink: lol. They are tied as my first choice with another program I've been accepted into, and I have to get back to them on the 15th but would like a little bit of time to think things over... I'm dying. 

I applied to their PHD program and I heard nothing back. I saw my adviser interview different candidates so I assumed I was rejected. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...