Fall 2018 I/O Psy

Hey, everyone! Hope everyone is ready for the upcoming cycle!

Program of interest: Industrial-Organizational Psychology

Research interests: Talent retention, military and law enforcement, high reliability organizations, selection, training and development, conflict resolution, and diversity research. Also interested in power in the workplace, as well.

Scores:  

Verbal GRE: 158/580     (new/old)

Quant GRE: 155/710       (new/old)

Written GRE: 5

Undergrad. GPA: 3.44

Current Grad GPA: 3.71

Education:

B.S. in Psychology, Minor in Communications

(current) M.Ed. in Student Personnel Administration in Higher Education

Research Experience:

Research Assistant with Psychology Clinical Doc Student for 1 semester

Research Intern for the Center of Housing and Community Studies for 1 semester

Graduate Research Assistant for the past two months for a doctoral student (currently)

Presentation at Guilford College LGBT Conference for Higher Ed. Officials

Schools looked at:

Portland State University, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, SUNY Albany, Harvard University, NC State, Michigan State University, Virginia Tech, University of Illinois Urbana-Champage, University of Maryland, Pennsylvania State University, University of Georgia

I am pretty stoked to apply this cycle, but I am pretty nervous. I definitely cannot afford to retake the GRE, and my undergrad GPA is a little low. I am pretty excited still!

On 11/30/2017 at 5:34 PM, Fitz101 said:

Hey, everyone! Hope everyone is ready for the upcoming cycle!

Program of interest: Industrial-Organizational Psychology

Research interests: Talent retention, military and law enforcement, high reliability organizations, selection, training and development, conflict resolution, and diversity research. Also interested in power in the workplace, as well.

Scores:  

Verbal GRE: 158/580     (new/old)

Quant GRE: 155/710       (new/old)

Written GRE: 5

Undergrad. GPA: 3.44

Current Grad GPA: 3.71

Education:

B.S. in Psychology, Minor in Communications

(current) M.Ed. in Student Personnel Administration in Higher Education

Research Experience:

Research Assistant with Psychology Clinical Doc Student for 1 semester

Research Intern for the Center of Housing and Community Studies for 1 semester

Graduate Research Assistant for the past two months for a doctoral student (currently)

Presentation at Guilford College LGBT Conference for Higher Ed. Officials

Schools looked at:

Portland State University, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, SUNY Albany, Harvard University, NC State, Michigan State University, Virginia Tech, University of Illinois Urbana-Champage, University of Maryland, Pennsylvania State University, University of Georgia

I am pretty stoked to apply this cycle, but I am pretty nervous. I definitely cannot afford to retake the GRE, and my undergrad GPA is a little low. I am pretty excited still!

Does Virginia Tech still have an I/O program? (It may be hearsay but I thought they were going to end it in the next few years). 

On 12/9/2017 at 2:39 PM, EgyPsychologist said:

one of my PIs said they ll be scheduling interviews in early January. Crossing my fingers to hear back that soon!!

Same. I bet most December 1st apps will respond early Jan. The mid December and early January by early Feb.

On 11/29/2017 at 6:59 PM, Daisy0124 said:

Hey everyone!

I was just curious how your apps were going since Dec. 1st is creeping up on us! Where did everyone end up applying to? 

I applied to:

Penn State Ph.D

Clemson Ph.D

TU Ph.D

Uni. Oklahoma Ph.D

Rice Ph.D

CMU Ph.D

Texas A&M Ph.D

Akron Ph.D

DePaul Ph.D

Middle Tennessee State Masters

My schools were

Ohio

Wayne State

Colorado State

Central Michigan University

DePaul

Clemson

Texas A&M

Tulsa

Georgia

Interested in work-family conflict and teamwork.

Good luck!

Im currently attending TU, so if anyone is applying there PM me and I can give you more information! 

My top choices are TAMU and Penn State- I am really interested in the work of professors there, they seem like places I could see myself living, and are good schools all around. 

5 hours ago, Daisy0124 said:

Im currently attending TU, so if anyone is applying there PM me and I can give you more information! 

My top choices are TAMU and Penn State- I am really interested in the work of professors there, they seem like places I could see myself living, and are good schools all around. 

I'm really interested in the Penn State program too! There is an interesting lab there, and the research of the faculty is great! 

I'm a bit torn; all the POIs I emailed were welcoming. George Mason and NC State impress me on paper, but we will see. It's funny how much of a numbers game it becomes. The I/O programs have far lower odds than the other programs I'm applying to. Best of luck to everyone!

On 12/23/2017 at 1:52 AM, IOhopeful11 said:

Hi! I am currently in the process of applying to masters programs in I/O

I was wondering if anyone knows how competitive the masters programs in NYC are to get into? (Mainly Columbia and Baruch) 

Does anyone know anything about the Baruch program specifically?

Not sure about any master's programs

On 12/8/2017 at 1:53 PM, Fitz101 said:

When do you all think we will start hearing back about interviews? 

I was looking through the old results section and it looks like some schools started notifying invitations to interview weekends as early as Jan. 13th- so we could hear back soon!

6 hours ago, Daisy0124 said:

I was looking through the old results section and it looks like some schools started notifying invitations to interview weekends as early as Jan. 13th- so we could hear back soon!

Here comes the anxiety...

The NC State candidate must've really impressed someone given that the app deadline was the 1st of Dec and they got an acceptance email on the 13th. My POI told me to email him in early January (when he starts to look at applications). This makes me nervous...

On 12/29/2017 at 3:13 PM, Sparkybob said:

I received an email from Tulsa saying I made it pass the initial cut. 21 out of the 38 applicants passed the initial hurdle. So finally some fringe good news!

Me too! Hopefully you will make it to the second hurdle and I will see you at their interview weekend!

On 12/28/2017 at 5:09 PM, Fitz101 said:

NC State and Rice have started! There are two admissions already!! :wacko:

Thats pretty fast- I am really curious about what their app looked like! I wish I was that impressive haha

10 hours ago, Daisy0124 said:

Thats pretty fast- I am really curious about what their app looked like! I wish I was that impressive haha

The applicant from NC State messaged me. They were accepted by my POI, so it was a bit of a bummer. I'm going to message him anyway because he may be getting 2 students. Regardless, really nice person and they deserve it.

On 1/1/2018 at 10:41 AM, Left Skew said:

The applicant from NC State messaged me. They were accepted by my POI, so it was a bit of a bummer. I'm going to message him anyway because he may be getting 2 students. Regardless, really nice person and they deserve it.

Did the NC student share any of his/her information? I'd be interested to know how they pulled off an acceptance so early! 

Edited by Imposter_Me

On 1/1/2018 at 1:45 AM, Daisy0124 said:

Me too! Hopefully you will make it to the second hurdle and I will see you at their interview weekend!

Thanks wish you the best. They aren't my top choice but in I/O psych you can't be too picky. I am still waiting for one of my professor to send a recommendation for a school that had it's deadline on December 1st...