Fall 2018 I/O Psy

21 hours ago, Sparkybob said:

Sorry for the double post but just heard back from Ohio Athens and got an interview! I was just hoping for 1 interview this cycle so I am glad I reached that goal! Best of luck to everyone else.

That's exciting news, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere this cycle. Good luck!

Also, if you don't mind would you PM me you POI in OU :)

Hi Everyone,

I've also sent out all 7 of my applications,  yet the only university I have heard back from is the private institution, Adler University. I'm a Canadian applicant and would appreciate it if anyone could tell me whether they've heard back from either Waterloo or Saint Mary's. 

Thanks in advance. ;)

Applied to 11 schools:

UConn

BGSU

PennState

Rice

Minnesota

George Mason

Colorado State

Texas A&M

East Carolina

Clemson

Auburn

Have not heard back yet. The anxiety grows!!!!!

Edited by tb77
Updated

7 hours ago, tb77 said:

Applied to 11 schools:

UConn

BGSU

PennState

Rice

Minnesota

George Mason

Colorado State

Texas A&M

East Carolina

Clemson

Auburn

Have not heard back yet. The anxiety grows!!!!!

We have Penn State, George Mason, Colorado State, and Clemson in common, I haven’t heard anything either! I’m not sure if you’ve looked at data from past years, but those should start notifying soon I think (except Clemson obviously lol since their deadline is the 15th). The results section had Penn State notifying about interviews on 1/13 and 1/19 for 2017 and 2016 respectively. Also, based on their websites I think we’ll hear back from George Mason and Colorado State around February 1st!

I have heard back on no official rejections so far (though I think I did not make it for Georgia and Texas A&M) but got 2 interview request so far from Ohio and Tulsa. 

Still got:

Clemson

Central Michigan

Wayne State (Though I think this is a rejection, my last recommendation still has not be handed in and I have seen other people got accepted)

Colorado State

DePaul.

Just seems our field likes to take their time for interviews ^_^

Just heard back from NC State today- there was a new professor, not my POI, whose research aligned better with mine and emailed to ask for more information.  This is the first inkling of information I've gotten back, so I'm pretty excited!

So, I was planning to apply to PhD programs or master's programs next winter, to enter fall 2019. I am not sure if I would be able to get into any PhD program, so I'm unsure how to move forward. I have not taken my GRE yet but generally do well with testing (2220 SAT.) My GPA is 3.41, Psych GPA 3.94, I had a very bad junior year in undergrad due to health issues. I got to take an I/O class my senior year and loved it. I have 1 year minor experience in a social psych lab (setting up the lighting and computer, entering data) because I didn't plan to get a PhD until I discovered the I/O field in my last semester. I recently tried to find research positions available for where I leave (financially I cannot move out right now) ant the best I could find was a local professor, and I was able to do a small amount of data entry. My research interests vary, but especially motivation, productivity/focus, satisfaction, health, work-life balance, the impact of play, exercise, sleep, meditation, or other breaks at work.

Any suggestions, both PhD and master's? Are PhDs even worth looking into with my history- if so, what are some schools I may have a chance at? The search is so challenging as there is only the SIOP database and no way to filter, just one by one going through each program.

Edited by lilkittenlove

2 hours ago, lilkittenlove said:

So, I was planning to apply to PhD programs or master's programs next winter, to enter fall 2019. I am not sure if I would be able to get into any PhD program, so I'm unsure how to move forward. I have not taken my GRE yet but generally do well with testing (2220 SAT.) My GPA is 3.41, Psych GPA 3.94, I had a very bad junior year in undergrad due to health issues. I got to take an I/O class my senior year and loved it. I have 1 year minor experience in a social psych lab (setting up the lighting and computer, entering data) because I didn't plan to get a PhD until I discovered the I/O field in my last semester. I recently tried to find research positions available for where I leave (financially I cannot move out right now) ant the best I could find was a local professor, and I was able to do a small amount of data entry. My research interests vary, but especially motivation, productivity/focus, satisfaction, health, work-life balance, the impact of play, exercise, sleep, meditation, or other breaks at work.

Any suggestions, both PhD and master's? Are PhDs even worth looking into with my history- if so, what are some schools I may have a chance at? The search is so challenging as there is only the SIOP database and no way to filter, just one by one going through each program.

Hi,

Just from my history, I was able to get into a couple of master's program in I/O with no research experience at all so you are better off than me in that regard. If I were you I would look to take more stat heavy courses (if you haven't already) to show schools you have a strong background in it to offset lack of I/0 courses.

Going straight from undergraduate to PHD is a tough road so if you have the financial ability, getting a masters won't be a bad idea. Gives you more ideas on if you really want to study I/O psych full time or not. 

Good luck!

7 hours ago, Sparkybob said:

Hi,

Just from my history, I was able to get into a couple of master's program in I/O with no research experience at all so you are better off than me in that regard. If I were you I would look to take more stat heavy courses (if you haven't already) to show schools you have a strong background in it to offset lack of I/0 courses.

Going straight from undergraduate to PHD is a tough road so if you have the financial ability, getting a masters won't be a bad idea. Gives you more ideas on if you really want to study I/O psych full time or not. 

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! 

That's my main issue..  have no idea how I will handle a masters financially. With a psych BA I do not make much money, I'm not sure if I could handle working while in school, and I am unsure how I will pay for both bills upon moving to wherever the program is, and the program itself. And I am already about 32k in debt :/

Thanks for the honest about the difficulty in going straight to a PhD. I'm just not sure about the 6 years for both a masters and PhD before earning anything while getting more in debt. Is it hard as in admissions (of course) or are you referring to the difficulty? I am excited by research, and I found undergrad relatively easy, but I do have some mental health problems currently fairly under control which could add some difficulty in handling the stress and workload of a PhD. 

Edited by lilkittenlove

1 hour ago, lilkittenlove said:

Thanks for the advice! 

That's my main issue..  have no idea how I will handle a masters financially. With a psych BA I do not make much money, I'm not sure if I could handle working while in school, and I am unsure how I will pay for both bills upon moving to wherever the program is, and the program itself. And I am already about 32k in debt :/

Thanks for the honest about the difficulty in going straight to a PhD. I'm just not sure about the 6 years for both a masters and PhD before earning anything while getting more in debt. Is it hard as in admissions (of course) or are you referring to the difficulty? I am excited by research, and I found undergrad relatively easy, but I do have some mental health problems currently fairly under control which could add some difficulty in handling the stress and workload of a PhD. 

I was in a similar situation debt-wise. My MS actually was pretty cheap because of my assistantship (my tuition was waived both years). However, I'm only talking about my experience, but there is a good chance you can find a similar program. I'd say an MS in IO will get you a 65 to 70k salary first year out.

Edited by Left Skew

On 1/10/2018 at 2:14 PM, Fallen_Pheonix said:

Hi Everyone,

I've also sent out all 7 of my applications,  yet the only university I have heard back from is the private institution, Adler University. I'm a Canadian applicant and would appreciate it if anyone could tell me whether they've heard back from either Waterloo or Saint Mary's. 

Thanks in advance. ;)

Hi! When I applied, I heard back from Waterloo around Feb 5-9th, and one person I know who applied to St Mary's took quite a while to hear back, I think it was March/April, after she received another offer and accepted that one. I don't know if that is common, but the visit day for Waterloo was late February, so you have to hear back before that (and they typically give you a few weeks to get travel plans in order).

On 1/13/2018 at 8:30 PM, lilkittenlove said:

Thanks for the advice! 

I'm in Canada, where it seems much more common to go right into a PhD (commonly a combined and fully funded Masters + PhD) from undergrad. That is what I did 1.5 years ago.

However, I know that people do this in the US as well. It's not impossible to go straight into a PhD, but you need to recognize and plan for the effects of moving, isolating work, potentially having a bad supervisor (you can do everything right and still get into a terrible situation, unfortunately), basically not being able to leave for that many years without giving away everything you worked on, and having next to no structure with really distant and ambiguous deadlines.

I'm not saying you can't do it because you are dealing with mental health problems, but it can already be hard enough without adding an extra challenge to the mix. So it's one thing to have done research, which is great, and to want to do in the future, which is awesome. It's another thing to be aware of all the extraneous issues that can come up, and to acknowledge those. The PhD is a long commitment, and I'm not saying you shouldn't do it - I am, and so are a lot of my colleagues. But many of us have been lucky. I've seen things go completely off the rails, and I've seen people take 7-10+ years for what is supposed to take 4-5.

However, you should be earning money while you're in the PhD. In masters programs too. Some you can work at the same time, either full- or part-time, in others you can do internships, and I know a lot of people working during their PhDs. In my program, a lot of my colleagues make mad money - if you pile internships on top of scholarships on top of extra money from profs, you can make more money and save more (due to low COL areas) in our grad program than you would make if you left at the masters and started working (even at a taxed salary of 65-70k). Many grad students in other areas of psychology and other fields altogether make very little money and they have to deal with that for years. However, it is very easy (in my experience) to pick up other work as a grad student in IO, and this is corroborated by all the people I see on linkedin who are in IO grad programs making lots of money working on the side.

Masters programs vary in price a lot, so you could look into one where you work would cover part of it, or where you could cover the cost with your work as you go to school part time or in the evenings.

1 hour ago, Left Skew said:

So can we agree that Rice, NC State, UMD, Wayne State, UGA, Tulsa, and Northwestern have sent out their results?

Have other people heard from POIs at NC State?  I haven't seen anybody else mention it!  

On 1/13/2018 at 2:51 AM, TheFork said:

Just heard back from NC State today- there was a new professor, not my POI, whose research aligned better with mine and emailed to ask for more information.  This is the first inkling of information I've gotten back, so I'm pretty excited!

I heard back from the new professor as well. She is very nice!

15 minutes ago, StrawberrySmoothie said:

I heard back from the new professor as well. She is very nice!

I emailed my POI on the 3rd of Jan, and he's accepted one person but also emailed me that they were still making decisions. I've lost hope. The world is so dark now.

3 minutes ago, Left Skew said:

I emailed my POI on the 3rd of Jan, and he's accepted one person but also emailed me that they were still making decisions. I've lost hope. The world is so dark now.

Yeah I am feeling a bit anxious because I think she is going to take a bit of time to make her decisions. She said she was taking two students so maybe your professor is as well. Don't lose hope!

15 minutes ago, StrawberrySmoothie said:

Yeah I am feeling a bit anxious because I think she is going to take a bit of time to make her decisions. She said she was taking two students so maybe your professor is as well. Don't lose hope!

Two students, huh? I wonder how many she's been emailing! Probably more than two! Good luck, either way :) She does seem nice, I looked around for info about her and other people seem to like her as well. 

13 hours ago, Left Skew said:

So can we agree that Rice, NC State, UMD, Wayne State, UGA, Tulsa, and Northwestern have sent out their results?

I spoke with three professors at Rice University, two stated that they were unsure about funding this year and one stated that they will not be taking students.  I do not believe that ALL the results are sent out yet, but it seems they may not take many students. In past years they have accepted students into February. As for your other schools, I am unsure.