Fall 2018 I/O Psy

10 hours ago, TheFork said:

Two students, huh? I wonder how many she's been emailing! Probably more than two! Good luck, either way :) She does seem nice, I looked around for info about her and other people seem to like her as well. 

Yeah definitely more than two. Good luck! I was also trying to do some research on her and I've only found publications in her psychometric interest area. If you happen to find a paper in her OHP interest do you mind dropping a link? 

12 hours ago, Left Skew said:

I emailed my POI on the 3rd of Jan, and he's accepted one person but also emailed me that they were still making decisions. I've lost hope. The world is so dark now.

I'v also emailed my POI from Georgia and am waiting for a response. Good luck to everyone that has been contacted by them and is scheduled for an interview! 

13 hours ago, TheFork said:

Two students, huh? I wonder how many she's been emailing! Probably more than two! Good luck, either way :) She does seem nice, I looked around for info about her and other people seem to like her as well. 

I was contacted by her as well, she seems super sweet! Her research is pretty interesting though, I found some old articles of hers from more than 5 years ago. She really did work thoroughly with the hospitality industry, it seems. 

19 hours ago, eternallyephemeral said:

Hi! When I applied, I heard back from Waterloo around Feb 5-9th, and one person I know who applied to St Mary's took quite a while to hear back, I think it was March/April, after she received another offer and accepted that one. I don't know if that is common, but the visit day for Waterloo was late February, so you have to hear back before that (and they typically give you a few weeks to get travel plans in order).

That's good to hear. I was getting pretty worried, but I'm glad to hear that I may not have missed either university's wave of offers. I saw in the 2016 thread that someone had received a rejection from Saint Mary's at the end of the January, so I assumed that they would be trying to schedule interviews for short-listed candidates at about this time.  Waterloo and SMU are two of my three top programs, so I'm glad that there's still hope. 

Thanks for your response! :)

2 hours ago, RememberFit said:

May I ask if the emails being received from NCSU, are personal or if they are directing you to a qualtrics survey? Just trying to gauge where I am.

Good luck!

We have been receiving personal emails from the POI. It might be that you didn't fill out the qualtrics survey when you submitted your application and they're interested in you but they want the survey completed first. Good luck!

Edited by StrawberrySmoothie

21 hours ago, Left Skew said:

So can we agree that Rice, NC State, UMD, Wayne State, UGA, Tulsa, and Northwestern have sent out their results?

It looks like NC State has sent out a good portion of their results. I know for sure that Tulsa has already sent out their interview weekend invite. 

On 1/15/2018 at 9:03 PM, Left Skew said:

So can we agree that Rice, NC State, UMD, Wayne State, UGA, Tulsa, and Northwestern have sent out their results?

By my comment I meant "started sending results" not "completed results", sorry for the confusion.

I've scraped the results survey with R and attached some longitudinal data for I/O decisions. See the title of each page for the type of decision. I've attached it. As you can tell the sample size isn't so strong...so take it for what it's worth.

Takeaways:

• Jan 15th - Feb 15th seems like peak time for interviews
  • February is ride or die: 23rd - 28th prime for interviews but rejection is also high in Feb
  • Notice that the Accepted numbers are higher than the others, this may be due to self-selection but let's hope that it isn't
  • Wait-list....who knows

Grad Cafe Decisions IO.pdf

Edited by Left Skew

57 minutes ago, makanmakan said:

Anyone know what to expect with UGA? If you haven't received a rejection or an invitation does it mean you're in a awkward limbo? I guess this can apply generally to all schools though.

From what I got from talking to other applicants is they  are only accepting 3-4. 

11 hours ago, makanmakan said:

Anyone know what to expect with UGA? If you haven't received a rejection or an invitation does it mean you're in a awkward limbo? I guess this can apply generally to all schools though.

From what I understand the IO department got together as a whole yesterday and finalized their admission/waitlist/rejection decisions. As such, I think that the department will be reaching out formally to applicants in the next couple of days. Further, visitation weekend is March 8-9th. So if you haven't heard from UGA by then I would take that as a sign. 

Does anyone know if Penn State has sent out interview offers or acceptances? I haven't heard anything on this forum about Penn State, which surprises me because I would've thought their decisions would be made by now (at least decisions about who they are going to ask to interview). Thanks :)

5 hours ago, PsychYouOut said:

Does anyone know if Penn State has sent out interview offers or acceptances? I haven't heard anything on this forum about Penn State, which surprises me because I would've thought their decisions would be made by now (at least decisions about who they are going to ask to interview). Thanks :)

I haven’t heard anything! Data from the results page in the past couple years had them giving interview invites 1/13 and 1/19, so based on that I would bet we might hear something by this Friday or early next week! I’m very anxiously awaiting any news, lol. 

8 minutes ago, PhDchallenger said:

Just received my first official rejection this cycle from Wayne State. They said they reached the capacity of the program for this time!

Congratulations to the folks who got and accepted the offers from there and best of luck to everyone!

Yup got rejected too. Oh well it wasn't my first choice so I wasn't too  bummed out. I am just glad I got two interviews so far and I am greedy hoping for more ^_^

30 minutes ago, Sparkybob said:

Yup got rejected too. Oh well it wasn't my first choice so I wasn't too  bummed out. I am just glad I got two interviews so far and I am greedy hoping for more ^_^

That's interesting. I applied to Wayne and never got an email saying I was accepted or rejected. On my application page it still says "decision pending". I wonder if something went wrong with my application and it didn't get submitted correctly. That or I'll be receiving a rejection letter soon. Has anyone had a situation like this before? Should I contact their graduate admissions office?

Edited by PsychYouOut

2 minutes ago, just_waitinginkzoo said:

Does anyone know anything about Seattle Pacific's IO PhD program, especially funding wise? Thanks everyone, and good luck!

I wouldn't take this as fact because they could have changed their funding procedure, but one of my professors is close with some of the people that run the program over there and he said that they don't give typical funding, but most of their students are able to get paid internships/jobs that cover some of the cost. The only other thing I know is that it's the only I/O PhD program with a Christian focus.

20 minutes ago, PsychYouOut said:

I wouldn't take this as fact because they could have changed their funding procedure, but one of my professors is close with some of the people that run the program over there and he said that they don't give typical funding, but most of their students are able to get paid internships/jobs that cover some of the cost. The only other thing I know is that it's the only I/O PhD program with a Christian focus.

Isn't all of SPU based on faith? For those of you that applied, did that aspect influence you more than anything? They'd definitely reject me.

1 hour ago, PsychYouOut said:

Thanks so much for the info! I got an interview there and I didn't do much research on the school when I applied honestly; however, I'm still obviously grateful for the opportunity. 

13 hours ago, PsychYouOut said:

That's interesting. I applied to Wayne and never got an email saying I was accepted or rejected. On my application page it still says "decision pending". I wonder if something went wrong with my application and it didn't get submitted correctly. That or I'll be receiving a rejection letter soon. Has anyone had a situation like this before? Should I contact their graduate admissions office?

From what I have read from other threads is that you are wait listed most times that you don't hear anything. I have a couple schools that I have not heard either an invitation or a rejection and my account says pending. Others can chime in on this but I am told it isn't a rejection until they send you a letter saying that.