Fall 2018 I/O Psy

I got a call from the departmental secretary at Akron (she left a message as I was in class) and she said she had a question for me; called back but it was after business hours so I had to leave a message. Anyone got any ideas what it might be about? I checked online and and all my forms were submitted and no paperwork is missing..

2 hours ago, Daisy0124 said:

I got a call from the departmental secretary at Akron (she left a message as I was in class) and she said she had a question for me; called back but it was after business hours so I had to leave a message. Anyone got any ideas what it might be about? I checked online and and all my forms were submitted and no paperwork is missing..

They may just want to check up on something that might be wrong paperwork related on their end! I don’t think it’s anything to be concerned about as long as you got all your stuff in.

5 hours ago, Left Skew said:

Just got an email from UNC: Charlotte, their interview day is February 23rd. On my way down, I'll be sure to stop at NC State, roll my eyes, then drive into the night.

To add: Just heard back from George Mason (PhD). Their interview day is on the same day (Feb 23rd)... :wacko: I hastily responded to the UNC: Charlotte email with "I would love to make the drive down". I can't say no to George Mason. Please good people of Grad Cafe guide me. What should I do? I was thinking I could recruit someone to pose as me, all you need are 3 things: a monotone voice, be sarcastic 97% of the time, and been described as "endearingly creepy". Direct message me for applications.

41 minutes ago, Left Skew said:

To add: Just heard back from George Mason (PhD). Their interview day is on the same day (Feb 23rd)... :wacko: I hastily responded to the UNC: Charlotte email with "I would love to make the drive down". I can't say no to George Mason. Please good people of Grad Cafe guide me. What should I do? I was thinking I could recruit someone to pose as me, all you need are 3 things: a monotone voice, be sarcastic 97% of the time, and been described as "endearingly creepy". Direct message me for applications.

Would you be comfortable doing a Skype interview with one of the schools?

12 hours ago, Left Skew said:

I would say pick the one you want more.  If you have a chance at George Mason, take it!  Apologize to UNCC and ask for another opportunity. 

10 minutes ago, Gradday said:

Hello,

I got waitlisted from CMU but got invited to the Open House. Any advice? 

If you have the resources, go. There are always people on the wait-list that get accepted. Socialize, charm them, show them what they're missing. You won't better your chances sitting at home. 

32 minutes ago, Left Skew said:

I just got a feeler email from a program asking me how many schools I applied to and if they have reached out to me yet. Has anyone dealt with this?

I just got an email like that from ODU today. I was also unsure how to respond because they only asked those two questions in their email. I ended up just thanking them, answering those questions, and asking more about their research (wasn't one of my POI). Not sure if that was the right way to go about it...

1 hour ago, Gradday said:

Hello,

I got waitlisted from CMU but got invited to the Open House. Any advice? 

I agree that you should go if you can- not everyone who was offered admission will accept, so if you go it's more likely they'll choose to admit someone off the waitlist that they've met than a stranger. 

2 hours ago, StrawberrySmoothie said:

I just got an email like that from ODU today. I was also unsure how to respond because they only asked those two questions in their email. I ended up just thanking them, answering those questions, and asking more about their research (wasn't one of my POI). Not sure if that was the right way to go about it...

Yes it was ODU. @StrawberrySmoothie can you message me your POI? 

10 minutes ago, makanmakan said:

So I applied to ODU and did not get such an email. What do you think it means for me?

It means that you may have another POI, or that you're a stand-out that doesn't need to answer an awkward question to make it to the next round. 

On 2/3/2018 at 8:48 AM, Lola3 said:

Has anyone heard back from Portland State yet?

I have not heard back. I emailed my POI two weeks ago and didn't hear back from her either. Let me know if you do!

Could you PM me your POI? 

@Left SkewNo, but I heard this is pretty common now. We talked about it in my research lab. My professor mentioned schools were using it as a way to assess their "tier." But everyone was pretty unsure why they were doing it. It shouldn't change anything for you. I spoke with a couple of grad students who also said they were even asked this in their interviews. 

1 hour ago, Imposter_Me said:

I have not heard back. I emailed my POI two weeks ago and didn't hear back from her either. Let me know if you do!

Could you PM me your POI? 

I heard back from Portland State. Their funding situation is still unclear (I think that's the reason your POI didn't write you back). They may not have funding to admit any I/O candidates.