Fall 2018 I/O Psy

Hey, I applied to FIU, however my application got delayed a little bit due to some missing documents. Have sent them two emails to check the status of my application but no response. Have you heard from them? 

Hope this helps.

9 hours ago, Saman said:

Hey, I applied to FIU, however my application got delayed a little bit due to some missing documents. Have sent them two emails to check the status of my application but no response. Have you heard from them? 

Hope this helps.

Not yet. But from previous years, I think they send out decisions pretty late... 

12 minutes ago, CanadianIO said:

Does anyone have updates about the 5 Canadian I-O schools?

Hey,  Calgary, Western, Waterloo, and Guelph have emailed their short-listed and/or accepted applicants. Calgary and Western both held their visiting day this past weekend, and I believe that Guelph will be holding theirs at a date later this month. Also, Waterloo's visiting day is on March 2nd.

Saint Mary has not yet officially sent out any emails to let their applicants know whether or not they will be given an offer of admission. That being said, I actually emailed my prospective supervisor at SMU on Friday, and he told me that the I/O faculty met that afternoon to finalize their assessment and ranking of applicants. He actually told me that I would be extended an offer. Thus, I think that you can email your prospective advisor at SMU to get information about your status, but I think that you will hear back soon, regardless.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Fallen_Phoenix said:

Hey,  Calgary, Western, Waterloo, and Guelph have emailed their short-listed and/or accepted applicants. Calgary and Western both held their visiting day this past weekend, and I believe that Guelph will be holding theirs at a date later this month. Also, Waterloo's visiting day is on March 2nd.

Saint Mary has not yet officially sent out any emails to let their applicants know whether or not they will be given an offer of admission. That being said, I actually emailed my prospective supervisor at SMU on Friday, and he told me that the I/O faculty met that afternoon to finalize their assessment and ranking of applicants. He actually told me that I would be extended an offer. Thus, I think that you can email your prospective advisor at SMU to get information about your status, but I think that you will hear back soon, regardless.

Good luck!

Do you know how their waitlists work? If they haven't reach out, does that mean this year is a no?

1 hour ago, CanadianIO said:

Do you know how their waitlists work? If they haven't reach out, does that mean this year is a no?

Unfortunately, I don't think that Guelph, Calgary, Western, or Waterloo have wait-lists. I was told by my POI at Waterloo that they usually give out about 10 offers because about 50 percent of people accept them, and they aim for a class size of about 5. Also, I know that Guelph contacts several short-listed candidates that they would like to interview, and then gives out offers/visiting day invitations to a subset of them. Thus, I think that even if they had a wait-list (which I doubt), it would consist of the people who were short-listed but not extended offers/visiting day invites. Generally, I think that Canadian I/O schools take the possibility of offer declines into account when deciding how many offers to extend. 

Thus, If you haven't been contacted by any of the four schools listed above, it's extremely likely that you won't be extended an offer. Saint Mary hasn't even started to send out their offers though, and I think that they have a wait-list because I was told that they rank their applicants. In addition, I believe that someone actually received an offer two years ago in March or April because additional funding was made available, so you still definitely have a shot at SMU. 

On 2/12/2018 at 7:24 PM, clinpsydreams2018 said:

Has anyone heard from University of Missouri - St. Louis' (UMSL) I/O PhD program?

14 hours ago, RememberFit said:

Not yet, though SLU just sent out their rejections - so UMSL can't be to far behind....

Current doctoral student here - final decisions have not been made yet. Everyone should start hearing back soon. Visit day is planned for early March. 

3 hours ago, Gradday said:

Hello everyone here,

If you don't mind, can you share your research experiences? 

Currently procrastinating data cleaning/analysis... so I'll start... 

I've been working in a social psych lab in a small college. It's the dept head's lab, which doesn't mean much at all, and we primarily do work on a longitudinal study that's been going since 2006.  At a small school (with no graduate students in psych), roles often overlap and so I am the lab manager and the "older student" who mentors younger students when they arrive in the lab.  It's a very rewarding experience, but since nobody truly understands the purpose of my job it can be frustrating!  Two of "my" students have gone on to publish and many more to conferences... I am in the middle of publishing my first paper and I have been to a few conferences here and there.  I actually do get paid, but I'm the only student that does get paid and it's not much. Gotta get that resume booster + I love it anyway!  My PI treats me very well and I am sorry I graduate this Spring.  

What grad schools (and my "competition") see: hasn't published (yet), a few conferences, thinks "mentoring experience" is lab experience.