Rin

Online [American] Classics/Classical Studies Master's Degree?

Hello,

I am hunting around for a Master of Arts program in Classics / Classical Studies / Ancient History (preferably Classical Studies so I am getting both the language and culture courses in my MA), but my issue is that I would need to pursue the program online. I would prefer the school be based in the United States (non-profit, no for-profit schools) as I would need to get financial aid to attend, and there are little to no scholarships that I have found that would apply to a distance program learner, especially one that is for an American student attending a British school at a distance (if you know of one or more and want to share, it would be much appreciated).

So far, the only school I have found that is a non-profit school in America that allows a Classical Studies Master's degree to be taken completely online is Villanova University in Pennsylvania. The downside of this is that the school is synchronous, and I currently live in Las Vegas, so arranging the time to be able to go to class would be doable but challenging. 

My second option is a distance program through a school in the United Kingdom, but those are my final option due to the lack of being able to do it right out of pocket. 

I also know of the Harvard Extension School, but as that requires residency and beginning the courses by paying out of your own pocket, I would not be able to pursue that path, either.

The reason I want a Master of Arts in Classical Studies as an online program is because the local University doesn't have an option for Classical languages or archaeology or ancient history, but I cannot yet afford to move to a place that would offer such a program. The local university is also notorious for delaying graduation for their students by not offering the courses they need to graduate, so I wanted to avoid that as well. If anyone knows of any other non-profit schools, please let me know. I would need it to be without a residency requirement (the maximum I could be gone would be 2 weeks and I doubt I would be able to afford that, regardless) but would consider schools with short residences. I will be fine if Villanova is my only option, but I wanted to see if there were more schools I may have missed? I would prefer asynchronous coursework, but synchronous would be doable.

Thank you all in advance!    

Rin -

I wish I had found your posting much sooner than 3 months later. Unfortunately this forum isn't as active with postings as it should be, but I'll gladly engage your message.

Bottom line up front: I don't have any news to share other than what you've already discovered about online MA programs. I've been trying to find a suitable MA in Classics by an American school for probably a decade, but our options are very, VERY miniscule. Here's a few bullets of what I know:

- Villanova is the closest to what you're looking for.

- University of Florida does a Latin-based MA and PhD, mainly for Latin teachers however.

- University of Georgia has an online Post-Bac in Classical Languages, but this is not your interest.

- American Military University has an online Graduate Certificate, and maybe an MA, in Ancient Mediterranean history, but it's FOR PROFIT.

- University of Wales, Trinity Saint David, does distance in Classics, but it's in Great Britain. Other British schools include Birmingham, London, Open University, and perhaps a couple more.

- Texas Tech at one time advertised a distance MA and then the Dean immediately rescinded the program, probably because of a failure to have it accredited properly.

- There are a few Great Books based programs offered online more and more nowadays, but this isn't quite your interest either. See Harrison Middleton University, Knox Theological Seminary, Faulkner University.

- New Saint Andrews in Moscow, Idaho, offers a distance M.St., I think, in classical languages, or you can create a classical languages based program if you pick all the right courses for electives. 

- I once found a distance MA or PhD from a university in South Africa and maybe even New Zealand. 

I think that's all I can remember through the past dozen years I've been looking. Good luck.

On 11/6/2017 at 12:06 PM, Talmid said:

Rin -

I wish I had found your posting much sooner than 3 months later. Unfortunately this forum isn't as active with postings as it should be, but I'll gladly engage your message.

Bottom line up front: I don't have any news to share other than what you've already discovered about online MA programs. I've been trying to find a suitable MA in Classics by an American school for probably a decade, but our options are very, VERY miniscule. Here's a few bullets of what I know:

- Villanova is the closest to what you're looking for.

- University of Florida does a Latin-based MA and PhD, mainly for Latin teachers however.

- University of Georgia has an online Post-Bac in Classical Languages, but this is not your interest.

- American Military University has an online Graduate Certificate, and maybe an MA, in Ancient Mediterranean history, but it's FOR PROFIT.

- University of Wales, Trinity Saint David, does distance in Classics, but it's in Great Britain. Other British schools include Birmingham, London, Open University, and perhaps a couple more.

- Texas Tech at one time advertised a distance MA and then the Dean immediately rescinded the program, probably because of a failure to have it accredited properly.

- There are a few Great Books based programs offered online more and more nowadays, but this isn't quite your interest either. See Harrison Middleton University, Knox Theological Seminary, Faulkner University.

- New Saint Andrews in Moscow, Idaho, offers a distance M.St., I think, in classical languages, or you can create a classical languages based program if you pick all the right courses for electives. 

- I once found a distance MA or PhD from a university in South Africa and maybe even New Zealand. 

I think that's all I can remember through the past dozen years I've been looking. Good luck.

I've found all of the above to be true; Villanova is the only place I found that has an online program. 

And I found a couple of distance programs abroad, mostly in the UK and Australia, when I looked. Good luck!