Fall 2018 Social Psych PhD/Master applicants

PokePsych

As all the other fields are also starting their own sub-threats :) 

Program of interest: I'm very into how the direct environment we live in influences behavior, but that are outside or direct awareness (e.g., culture, socio-ecology, minority/majority ratios) and how people respond to them. Any leads to people working in this direction are very welcome at this point! I'm also looking at business schools atm

Schools you have looked at: I've narrowed it down to Virginia, UBC, NYU, Stanford, and Singapore Management Uni (love their work on multiculturality). The latter one is my 'safe' school. But I'm still exploring possible schools..

Number one worry about applying: GRE, deadlines! And whether I'm overestimating myself in terms of how competitive I am as an applicant!

Hi all! Thanks for making this thread:

Program of Interest/ Research interest: I'm interested in how platonic friendships and romantic relationships affect the individual as well as how the internet has affected our relationships (online dating, social support through social media/forums, etc.). Another interest is romantic relationships in adults with autism spectrum disorder.

Schools you have looked at: My list as of now is composed of 4 masters programs and 3 PhD programs. Masters: William and Mary, Villanova, Wake Forest, Towson (safety). PhD: NYU,, CUNY Graduate Center, VCU. (If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know)

Number one worry about applying: My GPA is very low (2.85). I have lots of research experience and my GREs are pretty solid, but I don't have any publications.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8-8-2017 at 11:07 PM, Trillian8 said:

Hi all! Thanks for making this thread:

Program of Interest/ Research interest: I'm interested in how platonic friendships and romantic relationships affect the individual as well as how the internet has affected our relationships (online dating, social support through social media/forums, etc.). Another interest is romantic relationships in adults with autism spectrum disorder.

Schools you have looked at: My list as of now is composed of 4 masters programs and 3 PhD programs. Masters: William and Mary, Villanova, Wake Forest, Towson (safety). PhD: NYU,, CUNY Graduate Center, VCU. (If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know)

Number one worry about applying: My GPA is very low (2.85). I have lots of research experience and my GREs are pretty solid, but I don't have any publications.

Don't know if helpful but I'm doing a Research Master here in Amsterdam - international one. ALthough classes have general themes, you can tailor usually the assignment to your interests (i.e., often proposal - for example proposal on 'the self', 'interdependence theory', etc.) that for sure will lend themselves to your interest. Also staff here that works on relationships (Righetti). Send me a PM if you want to know more ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, Psygeek said:

^up

I've seen a lot of interviews/POI contact in the other threat. Curious about Social Psych specific. I haven't heard anything from my schools and doubt if I will hear before 2018 :P

Just commented on a couple other threads because I was wondering a similar thing. I keep seeing a lot of people receiving emails but it seems a vast majority are clinical. I am trying to remain optimistic. It is unclear to me if social psychology just has a bit later of a timeline.

On 12/22/2017 at 9:46 AM, Stauce said:

Anyone hear anything yet? I had an informal interview/conversation last Wednesday, but that's it. I am getting increasingly anxious about the fact that I haven't heard anything thus far.

I haven't heard anything. I can assume that I didn't get an interview at UCLA. I saw some social psych people say they heard back and that the interview weekend is around 1/19, so I doubt they would reach out any later than now. Starting to get pretty nervous though :(

Besides UCLA, I'm waiting to hear from University of Washington, CU Boulder, Penn State, U Michigan, and USF (all PhD). My interests have more of a social neuroscience focus, so most of those schools had opportunities to collaborate with the neuro department. The UM program that I applied to was the oddball, as it's a joint Psych & Women's Studies PhD.

My stats:

GPA: 3.95

GRE V/Q/W: 165, 158, 5.0.

1 publication, 1 conference, and about 2 years of research experience. 

Edited by rnf13

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Trillian8 said:

Anyone else terrified that invites from your programs already went out and none of the invitees are on grad cafe so they never uploaded their results??

Hahah yep. I haven't heard back from a single program of mine.

Just speaking from what I have observed from the results page and people's comments here but it seems to me that social psychology program's are sending invites quite late, relative to other psychology fields. I really have only seen a few social psychology postings whereas I've seen several postings for pretty much every other field.

Edited by Stauce

Guys, I just couldn't take the agony of waiting any longer -  decided to email two of my POIs to inquire if they have sent out all invitations already.  

I figure I may as well know and focus my energy on schools that I have heard from instead of wallowing in this ball of anxiety - I also may as well begin discussing with them on  how I can improve my application and be more competitive for next year's cycle if I'm not going to get in this year :) 

Heard back today from my first school! Asked to have an informal interview by my POI at the University of South Florida. I applied to their CNS program with a focus on social psych. I had reached out to my POI prior to applying. Now I need to start preparing for an interview :mellow:

Also heard back from CU Boulder today. They asked to do a phone interview later this week. This is my top choice so I'm super excited!

Edited by rnf13

I was finally contacted on 1/6/18 from my POI at Virginia Commonwealth. We spoke on the phone for about 45min on Monday. He said based on these preliminary phone interviews, he will be choosing who to invite to the official visit day, so here's hoping I didn't completely bomb the phone interview. Also, I was the first person he spoke to (come on primacy and recency effect!), so if you're waiting to hear from VCU, there's still hope. I think I did fairly well and my officemate said it sounded like it went well lol.

One problem... He asked for a few of my papers, but they're all on my old laptop... that is dead and I can't find the charger for. I know I'm an idiot for not backing up the files :'(. I ordered a new charger, but it's not supposed to get to my house until Thursday. I feel like that's too late and I don't want to seem unresponsive! What should I do? Should I send him an email telling him the truth and send the files when I can access them or wait until I can get the files to email him. All I have right now is two posters from my presentations that I can send pictures of. I was thinking about sending them with my papers anyway, but I'm not sure if that's weird or not. Someone, please help!!

50 minutes ago, Trillian8 said:

I was finally contacted on 1/6/18 from my POI at Virginia Commonwealth. We spoke on the phone for about 45min on Monday. He said based on these preliminary phone interviews, he will be choosing who to invite to the official visit day, so here's hoping I didn't completely bomb the phone interview. Also, I was the first person he spoke to (come on primacy and recency effect!), so if you're waiting to hear from VCU, there's still hope. I think I did fairly well and my officemate said it sounded like it went well lol.

One problem... He asked for a few of my papers, but they're all on my old laptop... that is dead and I can't find the charger for. I know I'm an idiot for not backing up the files :'(. I ordered a new charger, but it's not supposed to get to my house until Thursday. I feel like that's too late and I don't want to seem unresponsive! What should I do? Should I send him an email telling him the truth and send the files when I can access them or wait until I can get the files to email him. All I have right now is two posters from my presentations that I can send pictures of. I was thinking about sending them with my papers anyway, but I'm not sure if that's weird or not. Someone, please help!!

I'd just be open about it. And just say lesson learned. Don't make it long - you can send whatever you have already

9 hours ago, Trillian8 said:

Just like @Psygeek said, be honest and open about it. If you want, you can feel free to DM me with your POI. Not only was VCU where I went to undergrad, I work in one of the labs there. The majority of the researchers here are really wonderful about pretty much everything!

School: Syracuse University

Program: Social Psych PhD 

Type of interview: Skype

School: University of Pittsburgh

Program Developmental Psych PhD

Type of interview: Skype

School: University of Nebraska-Lincoln

Program: Social-Cognitive Psych PhD (Social track)

Type of interview: phone call 

No official in person invites as of yet! I've been told I should hear about in person interviews following the above Skype/phone interviews in late January. 

Have not heard from: Rutgers, UMich, Penn State, Purdue, Univ. of Utah, Univ. of Kentucky, SUNY Albany, Stonybrook, Indiana University, Colorado State, or York U (all social programs)