Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering - PhD Application Profiles for Fall 2018 Admittance

PickleRick

On 1/11/2018 at 6:22 PM, PickleRick said:

I do only see 2 UCSF/Berkeley results so maybe not? Could be right though, I didn’t get one /:

Who knows. In the history of the results there isn't a ton of variation on timing though...

On 1/11/2018 at 6:09 PM, gaattc said:

It seems like a few people got interviews at Berkeley/UCSF from the results survey. Are they done sending invites?

My roommate who graduated from this program last year and heavily involved in the admission while he was there told me that they send invites in rounds. They usually invite 70-80 people for interview, accept around 50 while admit around 30 people. I think I saw 4 interview invites from the forum results search (?), I guess you can still be hopeful :) or give them a call to confirm!

12 minutes ago, katpillow said:

At least UCSF/Berkeley is up front about the rejections. Drives me nuts when programs just send out interviews and then wait to deal with rejects.

i think many programs do this because they'll admit without interview if you end up getting the nsf or ndseg or other fellowship. i prefer to just hear but i also am hopeful about my fellowship applications so it kind of sucks being counted out even if i get them

JHU's BME PhD Program just sent me an email today announcing that I am invited to a Skype/phone interview (since I'm an international applicant). If anyone has prior experience with JHU's BME PhD interview, please feel free to give me some advice. What kinds of questions do they ask, and what are the chances of being admitted after having an interview? 

By the way, JHU will host campus interviews for Feb. 7-10 and Feb. 28 - March 3, 2018.

Good luck everyone! 

Has anyone applied to/heard anything from Northwestern BME? My chances aren’t great because I’ve spoken at length to the PI I’m most interested in and he isn’t taking students right now, but I’m still holding out hope that maybe someone else will take interest...

3 hours ago, bmeupscotty said:

Anyone know if JHU sends out interview invites over multiple days or just one? Also, those who got an invite today, do you mind sharing what your research area/specialization is?

Hi,

I am pretty sure that JHU sends out interview invites over multiple days.

To answer your question, my research area is biomaterials and tissue engineering.

Good luck! 

1 hour ago, thaibear said:

Hi,

To answer your question, my research area is biomaterials and tissue engineering.

Good luck! 

Thanks so much! My field is imaging, so fingers crossed those interview invites are still in progress!

4 minutes ago, thaibear said:

@bmeupscotty When did GaTech send out their acceptances? (Congratulations by the way.) 

I haven't heard from them since I applied. 

Thanks! I hadn't heard anything from them till I got an email today. It looks like they're another one that sends them out over multiple days. It also cc'd professors I had mentioned in my application to connect me with them directly, which was nice!

On another note, are the emails from UPenn about their student chat driving anyone else crazy? My heart starts pounding whenever I see an email from them before I realize that it's not anything related to an interview!

7 hours ago, bmeupscotty said:

Thanks! I hadn't heard anything from them till I got an email today. It looks like they're another one that sends them out over multiple days. It also cc'd professors I had mentioned in my application to connect me with them directly, which was nice!

On another note, are the emails from UPenn about their student chat driving anyone else crazy? My heart starts pounding whenever I see an email from them before I realize that it's not anything related to an interview!

Yeah I receive an email from UPenn every week about the student chat, and every time I saw the title I was like OMG is the result out?

13 hours ago, TinyAquarianNinja said:

Has anyone applied to/heard anything from Northwestern BME? My chances aren’t great because I’ve spoken at length to the PI I’m most interested in and he isn’t taking students right now, but I’m still holding out hope that maybe someone else will take interest...

I got an interview email from them yesterday. Several of my cohort have not yet gotten responses from them though, so there's a chance they are sending emails out on more than one day. I can ask someone in the office if they know anything about the status of this when I'm there tomorrow. Hopefully there are more to come!

20 hours ago, thaibear said:

Hi,

Good luck! 

At what time did you receive the invite? Has anyone received any today?

3 hours ago, dontor said:

At what time did you receive the invite?

Hello dontor, 

The invites I'm aware of went out early morning yesterday (5-6 EST).

DM for research area or additional details.

Best wishes to all!

12 minutes ago, DOG_CABIN said:

Hello dontor, 

The invites I'm aware of went out early morning yesterday (5-6 EST).

DM for research area or additional details.

Best wishes to all!

Thanks, I really hope not all were sent out at once. No one has mentioned any sent out today. Hopefully, they staggered them and will send more out tomorrow.