Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering - PhD Application Profiles for Fall 2018 Admittance

PickleRick

7 minutes ago, gaattc said:

That was me. I got an email acceptance with a formal offer letter and all but there was no mention of a recruitment or visit weekend

Congrats! Their PhD open houses are February 23 and March 2, according to their website. I really like their research, hopefully they're not done sending emails!

5 minutes ago, gaattc said:

Haha thanks, but I'd gladly trade for one of your many impressive interviews!

Heh, thanks :D still, they're not lying when they say BU competes with top synthetic biology programs, they're stuff is legend. Also, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

Congrats @kangaroomr and @gaattc! That is wonderful news!

6 hours ago, gaattc said:

Is Georgia Tech BME done?

Speculation ahead: The only person I know IRL who heard back (for the joint program with Emory) was nominated for a fellowship, and also didn't hear back until the second or third wave just a few days ago. GT/Emory definitely staggers invites -- we have admits from at least two different waves in this thread (sonnelala and bmeupscotty), and in previous years a few applicants weren't accepted until they received an automated email to check the website (in February).

In short, I imagine there are more offers still to come.

On 1/11/2018 at 6:37 PM, thaibear said:

Got an email from UW-Madison's Biomedical Engineering Program saying

"Based on your excellent record, I am pleased to inform you that the Biomedical Engineering PHD Admissions Committee has recommended to the Graduate School that you be admitted to our Ph.D. Degree program for the Fall 2018-2019 semester.  Formal confirmation of your admission will be sent to you after an official review of your application by the University of Wisconsin-Madison Graduate School."

Does this mean I am accepted? I'm a little bit worried that the decision from the Graduate School will be different from the department's.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! 

@thaibear are you invited to the visit weekend (March 8 -11) of UW-Madison? I got a slightly different email from you and I'm not sure if there are different versions of it and what each of them means...

"The Admissions Committee in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison has recommended to the Graduate School that you be admitted to our Ph.D. degree program for the Fall 2018 semester. Of the applicants recommended for acceptance to the program, we invite our most promising applicants to spend a weekend on campus. We enthusiastically invite you to join our Visit Wisconsin Weekend, March 8th - 11th."

44 minutes ago, danbrownie said:

@thaibear are you invited to the visit weekend (March 8 -11) of UW-Madison? I got a slightly different email from you and I'm not sure if there are different versions of it and what each of them means...

"The Admissions Committee in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison has recommended to the Graduate School that you be admitted to our Ph.D. degree program for the Fall 2018 semester. Of the applicants recommended for acceptance to the program, we invite our most promising applicants to spend a weekend on campus. We enthusiastically invite you to join our Visit Wisconsin Weekend, March 8th - 11th."

Hello,

I was not invited to the campus visit.

In fact, I just got an acceptance letter last week...

"Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you of your admission to the University of Wisconsin-Madison Graduate School program for Biomedical Engineering PHD. The University of Wisconsin is a renowned institution and you have been selected from a very qualified group of applicants." 

2 hours ago, nwa5fz said:

Anyone hear from MIT BE yet?

Yeah, I think they sent out all official invites circa January 8. Interview weekend is March 16-17.

EDIT: I take that back, looks like there was a second cluster of invites on January 20, so I’m not sure if they’re done sending invites...

Edited by Some violinist

Hey everyone. Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.  I am unapologetically desperate for interviews at UCLA and USC as I am limited to the LA-metro for PhD programs due to my wife's job.  Based on historic data in Grad Cafe it looks like both programs are late in offering interviews/admissions, but I saw a poster on the Results page had been offered interviews at both programs today.  I wanted to know if anyone had any further/inside  information on where these programs are in their process. UC-Irvine updates would be welcomed as well.

On 1/19/2018 at 2:54 PM, kangaroomr said:

ok my question got answered. Just got invited to northwesterns recruitment weekend. They must be staggering invites. 

Holy hell, didn’t get in last year but you try again and things fall in place. Godamm. I’m speechless

From what I've been able to find out from the department office, your batch of invites was likely the last one. Congrats on the invite!

2 hours ago, laveritecestla said:

Anyone happen to know when Case Western/Stanford/Michigan are sending out decisions? Also haven't heard from BU but I'm currently assuming that's a lost cause lol. 

I got an email from Case January 11th inviting me to the open house in March.

5 hours ago, laveritecestla said:

Anyone happen to know when Case Western/Stanford/Michigan are sending out decisions? Also haven't heard from BU but I'm currently assuming that's a lost cause lol. 

I think Stanford sent all invites out around Jan 12