NSF GRFP 2017-18

spectastic

Okay, so this might be a website glitch or completely normal, I don't know, but I'm really panicked.

My GRFP application that I am really really sure was successfully submitted on the application day and all of my references got in on time has disappeared from the portal. Now, it says that my application is incomplete and when I click to "view my application", it says that I never uploaded any documents and no reference letters were submitted either. I even have a screenshot of one of my professors "confirmed" submissions for the reference letter. 

Is this normal because they're reviewing them or is it a glitch? Does anyone have any experience with this because I feel like I could throw up!!! :(

On 2/9/2018 at 10:57 PM, Bayesian1701 said:

Mine says completed. Did you get a receipt email?

Oh my gosh, I figured out what I did. I made 2 accounts. So yes, I did get a confirmation of receipt, but it was in an email I wasn't looking at. Crisis averted, everyone! 

Do we know for sure that they are only giving 1,000 awards this cycle?  This makes it sound like the budget isn't going to be cut.  Also any guesses on when awards will be announced?  Last year they came out in the middle of March but before that it was usually the end of March or April. 

I think we'll never know how many are awarded until the decisions are out. My guess with the government shutdowns is that decisions will be closer to the end of March or early April as the reviewers aren't able to work during those periods. In addition with the natural disasters there was a second later deadline for applicants that will need to be reviewed also which could cause them to come out later.  

16 hours ago, Bayesian1701 said:

Do we know for sure that they are only giving 1,000 awards this cycle?  This makes it sound like the budget isn't going to be cut.  Also any guesses on when awards will be announced?  Last year they came out in the middle of March but before that it was usually the end of March or April. 

See this link to a question asked on stack exchange regarding funding. It seems that if there was a change to the funding, it wouldn't occur until next cycle.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else want to guess the release date?

Here are the historical dates (thanks @Spaghettyohz for the dates from 2009-2016):

• 2017: Friday,  March 17
  • 2016: Tuesday, March 29
  • 2015: Tuesday, March 31
  • 2014: Tuesday, April 1
  • 2013: Friday, March 29
  • 2012: Friday, March 30
  • 2011: Tuesday, April 5
  • 2010: Tuesday, April 6
  • 2009: Friday, April 10

I am going to go with Friday March 23rd.  That's the average of dates from the past two years.  We are down to approximately 3 to 5 weeks of waiting left!

I doubt it'll be before the last week in March.  Considering Irma-delayed deadlines for many applicants and the government shutdown delaying the review process, I'd be shocked if they were close to last year's decision date.

On 2/25/2018 at 7:21 PM, Bayesian1701 said:

Does anyone else want to guess the release date?

Here are the historical dates (thanks @Spaghettyohz for the dates from 2009-2016):

• 2017: Friday,  March 17
  • 2016: Tuesday, March 29
  • 2015: Tuesday, March 31
  • 2014: Tuesday, April 1
  • 2013: Friday, March 29
  • 2012: Friday, March 30
  • 2011: Tuesday, April 5
  • 2010: Tuesday, April 6
  • 2009: Friday, April 10

I am going to go with Friday March 23rd.  That's the average of dates from the past two years.  We are down to approximately 3 to 5 weeks of waiting left!

I think if you look closely at solicitations and old grfp website, it seems like the first application due dates for the application were as follows:

• 2018: Oct 22
  • 2017: Oct 23 (13K applicants)
  • 2016: Oct 26 (17K applicants)
  • 2015: Oct 29 (16.5K applicants)
  • 2014: Nov 4 (14K applicants)
  • 2013: Nov 13
  • 2012: Nov 14
  • 2011: Nov 15
  • 2010: Nov  2
  • 2009: Nov 3 

If I was to guess, probably it'll be about the same time as last year. Also, the 2017-2018 are on the same solicitation so probably review process runs the same. This with Hurricane Irma and that Saturday-Tuesday Govt shutdown. If I was going to conclude anything, its that this type of analysis isn't super helpful or healthy ha ha. 

18 hours ago, masbrkom said:
"03/07/18  - 

FastLane will be unavailable from 12:01AM ET to 8:00AM ET on Saturday, March 10 for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Is this it? 

Maybe but it seems early and it is fishy that it's a weekend so it may be a false alarm.  However, I will still check it on Saturday.  This is pure speculation but could the application limit that is just now fully in effect maybe lead to faster application processing due to less applications?  Since the number of applications per applicant was lowered for 2017 the number could have gone down this year since less graduate students are eligible to apply. But if less current second-year students did not apply last year and waited the number of applications could be the same or higher. 

Was last year the last year that current grad students could apply twice, e.g. they were allowed to apply a second time as a grad student because they had applied once before the new rules had taken effect/they were grandfathered in? If it is, I could see it the same way bayesian sees it. Less applicants = faster turnaround. 

1 hour ago, prospective_ecology said:

Was last year the last year that current grad students could apply twice, e.g. they were allowed to apply a second time as a grad student because they had applied once before the new rules had taken effect/they were grandfathered in? If it is, I could see it the same way bayesian sees it. Less applicants = faster turnaround. 

Last year, any student that had applied their 1st year of grad school, they were grandfathered in under the old rules and could apply again as a 2nd year grad student. If you applied as a 1st year grad in 2017, you can't apply this year.

29 minutes ago, prospective_ecology said:

I didn't want it to be true, but according to this document, NSF is only requesting 1000 rewards. 

I'm not sure if I am interpreting it wrong, but that may mean the 2018-2019 round and not this time....?

And that is not to say that they won't award more, only that they requested 1000. I'm also unsure as to how old that document is and what effect all the legislative fury of February had on it. Right now, I'm looking at it as 1000 awards and pleasantly surprised if its 2000. Of course, all that means nothing to me if I'm not awarded :( though I'll be happy for everyone who does get it.

At least it looked like the preliminary stuff for  the FY 2019 budget doesn't have a funding cut for NSF like the FY 2018 budget did.  I think that document is old and from the beginning of this process.  They didn't want to cut spending obviously but they were trying to comply with the president’s budget. So maybe there will be 2,000 awards.   Or at least that's what I hope because I don't want my chances to be cut in half.  Plus there might be another shutdown on March 23rd.   I guess we will know soon enough.   

That document was from the original president's request posted end of May 2017. As of February 12, 2018, the cuts have been mostly rejected, and a proposed status quo from FY2017 is the most likely scenario now. That should, theoretically, mean that we're staying at 2000 awards. 

Source: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/02/trump-rescinds-planned-29-budget-cut-nsf

Edited by Marinebio444

On 3/7/2018 at 3:04 PM, masbrkom said:
"03/07/18  - 

FastLane will be unavailable from 12:01AM ET to 8:00AM ET on Saturday, March 10 for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Is this it? 

False alarm unless I am missing something.  I guess it will be the next one.