NSF GRFP 2017-18

spectastic

10 minutes ago, engineerwoacause said:

Lol @ the first reply on the reddit post 

“I smell BS” 

And yet that person also commented "A colleague from National Science Board (NSB) that is a part of NSF says the awards will likely be announced on Friday morning" on the other thread...

6 minutes ago, northernchild said:

And yet that person also commented "A colleague from National Science Board (NSB) that is a part of NSF says the awards will likely be announced on Friday morning" on the other thread...

Plus they only have those two posts to their name...very suspicious

Edited by grilledcheese1

I am an undergrad that applied for the GRFP.  So far I haven't been accpeted to grad school. If I receive a GRFP (which I highly doubt I will), do you think I could contact the schools I applied to and ask if my application can be reconsidered? Just looking for opinions! Thank you!

6 minutes ago, keepsmiling:) said:

I am an undergrad that applied for the GRFP.  So far I haven't been accpeted to grad school. If I receive a GRFP (which I highly doubt I will), do you think I could contact the schools I applied to and ask if my application can be reconsidered? Just looking for opinions! Thank you!

That's a possibility, but it highly depends on the program. If the POI is the main decision maker, then it is more likely.

That person is probably just messing with us.  It could even be the same person that said they would come out today that created another account.  I really wanted it to be today because I had an early flight so I could actually be awake when I got the email.  Maybe my initial prediction of 3/23 is right?  Are there any explanations for the Tuesday/Friday pattern?  Could it be just luck?

9 minutes ago, Bayesian1701 said:

That person is probably just messing with us.  It could even be the same person that said they would come out today that created another account.  I really wanted it to be today because I had an early flight so I could actually be awake when I got the email.  Maybe my initial prediction of 3/23 is right?  Are there any explanations for the Tuesday/Friday pattern?  Could it be just luck?

I suppose it could be just luck, but seems like a large enough sample size that some explanation must be behind it in my opinion. 

At this point, I think it’s anyone’s guess when the results will come out. And I don’t think anyone hanging out on Reddit or GC has “inside knowledge,” or any information other than a guess based off of previous years. Other than it being a Tuesday or a Friday sometime before mid (or late?) April, who knows when it’ll come out. 

I knew it wouldn’t be out this morning, but I was still disappointed when I woke up this morning to no email. I’m tired of waiting!! I just want to know. Sigh. 

Edited by mircakes

40 minutes ago, mircakes said:

At this point, I think it’s anyone’s guess when the results will come out. And I don’t think anyone hanging out on Reddit or GC has “inside knowledge,” or any information other than a guess based off of previous years. Other than it being a Tuesday or a Friday sometime before mid (or late?) April, who knows when it’ll come out. 

I knew it wouldn’t be out this morning, but I was still disappointed when I woke up this morning to no email. I’m tired of waiting!! I just want to know. Sigh. 

yes, I think people have figured that the "NSF insider" is likely a troll.

2 hours ago, keepsmiling:) said:

Yes, absolutely! I have heard of people initially being rejected, but then admitted after winning the GRFP (one got into Harvard for bio this way).

1 hour ago, BabyScientist said:

Agreed. Knowing which day the results will come out won't help you get it.

You're asking grad students and future/potential grad students to quietly wait for something potentially life-altering. The level of anxiety in this thread is pretty damn high. We all just want the process to be over. This thread serves as an outlet for everyone's nerves and anxiety. I actually find it pretty therapeutic, and it's actually helping me get my work done (as opposed to just refreshing Fastlane over and over again).

17 minutes ago, siliconchins said:

Dang guys, I'm really hoping for the announcement on Friday, whether good or bad. I'd like to know for sure so I can finally get my boss to stop asking me every morning whether they've released winners yet T.T

I'm just hoping for it on Friday so I can focus again.  I have a class paper due Saturday and a Master's proposal due Monday and haven't been able to do much on either due to all the anxiety.

2 hours ago, nanograd said:

03/21/18  - NSF is closed on March 21st due to inclement weather. FastLane user support is unavailable.

The weather has it out for us. 

been in my own bubble of research in socal and was like huh is it supposed to rain or something? hope everyone is staying safe on the east coast! also agreed I don't think anyone on this thread is delusional enough to think that predicting the day will help with acceptance chance but it's helping me feel like i'm not the only crazy anxious one.

26 minutes ago, AnaChem321 said:

been in my own bubble of research in socal and was like huh is it supposed to rain or something? hope everyone is staying safe on the east coast!

lol, yeah. i live on the west coast, and my half-awake thought was "well, it is raining..."

17 minutes ago, carlsaganism said:

Is there a source that claims a Friday release? 

Another "NSF insider" on Reddit, lol.  If this is true (which it likely isn't), i'm expecting for the storm to push the date back further.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GradSchool/comments/84f5z3/anyone_else_waiting_on_nsf_grfp_results_theyre/dw0hm13/?context=0

Edited by grilledcheese1