Fall 2018 Applicants

hesiodandhomer

just saw the e-mail that I was accepted into Villanova for the MA program! I withdrew my UGA application so that I could get started on all of the things I need to prepare for Villanova. I didn't manage to secure the funding for it since there were so many applicants, but the head of the department sent me a list of other funding opportunities through the school that I could apply to; a lot of them are due tomorrow, so I guess I know what I'm doing tonight! I'm super excited now and feel like a lot of weight has been lifted! I hope more people hear from schools they're waiting for soon! 

4 minutes ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

just saw the e-mail that I was accepted into Villanova for the MA program! I withdrew my UGA application so that I could get started on all of the things I need to prepare for Villanova. I didn't manage to secure the funding for it since there were so many applicants, but the head of the department sent me a list of other funding opportunities through the school that I could apply to; a lot of them are due tomorrow, so I guess I know what I'm doing tonight! I'm super excited now and feel like a lot of weight has been lifted! I hope more people hear from schools they're waiting for soon! 

Congrats!

2 hours ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

Congrats!!!

39 minutes ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

Thank you for the congrats @Histrio and @aigilipos ! I've been applying for scholarships and making a list of to-do of scholarships I still need to apply for; I'm very excited :D

No rest for the wicked! The work is never done, I guess?

Edited by Histrio

23 hours ago, ClassicsCandidate said:

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

9 hours ago, Pig With Wings said:

I hope they're not staggering their rejections...  If anyone else applied to Harvard, please share what you know!    

I applied to Harvard and did not hear anything yet. I suppose I’ll receive a rejection soon though since I was not interviewed.

1 hour ago, Passer said:

does anyone have any advice on how to email a department to ask about decision notifications?

Hi,

I simply asked either the person that contacted me (a faculty member, or a staff member) or the coordinators of graduate studies when should I expect decisions to be sent. 

Congrats to the UGA MA admit! Let me know if you have any questions about the program or Athens, and I'm happy to tell you all about it.

Has anybody gotten good news recently? I'm still waiting on a handful of schools.

2 hours ago, ARG92 said:

Hi all, has anyone heard from Columbia about Classics ?

Since I already have admissions from other institutes and want to plan visits in the area, I contacted them today. I'll let you know if they had any useful information.

On 3/1/2018 at 12:39 PM, FlosVeterisVini said:

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

Thanks! I'm really excited to start; I just have to wait for all the other administrative stuff to get taken care of and make sure I focus on my final semester right now as well! 

On 3/1/2018 at 7:17 AM, Histrio said:

No rest for the wicked! The work is never done, I guess?

Nope! It took me over 50 applications before I got one last time (from Mensa, oddly enough), and now I'm going to try and do a lot of essays in the summer between my programs ending and starting! 

I hope everyone is getting some good news soon! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 3:50 PM, Withnail said:

What circle of hell are we in here, I wonder?

If things don't end up working out for you this time, I think you should try again next year and just apply to a lot more schools. 

I think you said you were first at Saint Andrews. It's understandable why you'd think this would be enough to put you in the running (and honestly, I think it should be), but for some reason it may not be. It's  just that competitive, and they aren't just looking for raw intelligence or raw academic achievement (although I kind of think they should be). 

I had finished apps for ten schools, and I messaged my best friend and said, "I've completed apps for ten schools, and I really don't want to do anymore. Do I have to apply to X school? I don't think it's even a match for my research interests." And she said "no, you don't." And then I said, "well, the weather seems great in that city, so I guess I'll just apply." It was the only funded PhD offer I got. I accepted and I am quite happy. I've heard similar stories from friends about regular job applications.

You may be awesome but you need to give yourself "luck" by applying to a bunch of places. Just my two cents. I hope you hear something good this round and don't need my advice :)

• 2 months later...

Hello all, again!

I hope more people got good news while I wasn't floating around as much. 
I just got an e-mail that I made it in for full-tuition funding for my M.A. at Villanova, so I suppose I was just at the cut off for the funding!
So that's my good news. I hope everyone is ready and excited to start the new semester!