2018 Applications Thread

So sorry to hear that @deshypothequiez. do you think you will leave or reapply? (or move everyone with you lol) 

@black hippie soul  & @Isocrates2.o congratulations on nc state! I'm an NC native if y'all have any questions. I love the triangle & have many friends who attend state for undergrad or, randomly, their vet school. & @pato if you like the program you should totally consider raleigh! the triangle (raleigh-chapel hill- durham) is really neat and NC has much more to offer than our reputation and political mess leads on (but i know there may be other factors in your decisions lol). 

going to visit IUB tomorrow! I'll be sure to ask questions but they've given both my partner and I very generous financial packages for our respective programs so I can't help but look at them through rose-colored glasses rn. 

still waiting on decisions from NU (expecting a no), UMD, and UGA. hoping for positives for everyone at this point in the cycle. <3 

Edited by sriracha18

@sriracha18 This is my second time applying to MCC. I'm honestly not super surprised, even though I'm still disappointed. A faculty member I spoke to in the department was very sympathetic but ultimately warned me that my project would be difficult to support in the dept and that I'd have to figure out just the right angle to sell it, and I guess I wasn't able to do that.

I've already broached the topic of moving with my SO and unfortunately, he doesn't want to. So I have to decide if pursuing a PhD is worth the strain on my relationship, plus deciding what to do with the cats (would probably make the most sense to leave them with my SO, but one of them I've had since he was 2 months old so it's really hard to think about not having him with me).

It's really bittersweet. I think NU would be an amazing place to be and my POI there does really amazing work that I definitely want to be involved with, but it would also require huge sacrifice and commitment for what is honestly a super unstable career path.

Edited by deshypothequiez

@deshypothequiez  You know, the logical thing is not always the thing that is right.  So yeah, it might be "most logical" to leave your cats behind, but you're going to need the emotional support that a feline friend can provide.  And if you come to Chicago, we'll help you get settled in.  We'll find you a nice cat-friendly place to live and you'll have built in friends and your boyfriend can come visit you.

If that's what you choose!  If it's not, we support that too!  We've got your back, girlfriend/boyfriend/zirfriend*.  Perhaps your graduate career is simply delayed...and you go to a PhD program in Europe when the SO heads their postdoc!  And in the meantime, you'll do something kickass right where you are.

(* In retrospect, grad cafe should have a place in profile where one can choose to note their preferred pronouns.  I shall submit a feature request.)

@E-P Thanks for the support! It's definitely been an emotional couple of days for us (and will continue to be emotional). I did propose the idea of doing monthly visits, since I feel like NY-Chicago isn't too bad of a flight, and it sounds like NU's stipend will actually give me enough money to do that ;)

10 hours ago, deshypothequiez said:

I did propose the idea of doing monthly visits, since I feel like NY-Chicago isn't too bad of a flight, and it sounds like NU's stipend will actually give me enough money to do that ;)

My partner and I do this now. She is doing graduate work in a different state than me and driving 9 hours one way is definitely out of the option. We split the cost of plane tickets and manage to see each other on weekends about twice a month. It has put some strain on the relationship (especially at first when we were getting used to the transition), but we think that the separation has actually made us stronger. Calling/messaging regularly has definitely been key, though! 

I guess making the long distance thing work really depends on the couple, but it is definitely feasible! I wish you luck with whatever you end up deciding :)

NU totally gives you the budget for that! And it's not that hard to find a cat friendly place in Chicago, and NU is really good at offering housing searches for it's students from outside the area. Also between me and @E-P we should be able to help you find a place. NY to Chicago is about $180 ticket or so I think? Its not an uncommon problem during PhD programs and then summer returning to NY may be very helpful too.

On 2/22/2018 at 12:45 AM, E-P said:

In retrospect, grad cafe should have a place in profile where one can choose to note their preferred pronouns.  I shall submit a feature request.)

To follow up, the esteemed @rising_star has added additional gender options and we now have an area for pronouns. Huzzah!

Hi all, just registered for an account. Congrats to all those who got admitted to their top programs and wish everyone will have ideal results coming in! So I just heard from U of Calgary. This is the only program I applied to in comm area. I applied to the PhD program but they offered me an admission towards the MA degree instead. They said because my master's was not in the comm area, they thought it as the best for me to take the MA program, and if I'd be successfull in the first year, they'll consider me for an early admission to the PhD program and credit transfer. I got a Bachelor of Economics in China and a MA in journalism in the US, but both programs are course-based and lead to professional occupations, so I had zero experience in research. I believe the offer came with a funding. I haven't checked it out thoroughly but at least they'll reimburse the extra tuition for international students.

Anyone with some thoughts on my case? Would it be extremely difficult to be transfered into the PhD program? By "successful" I'm assuming straight As in the first year, but phew, just imagine that pressure. I'm not reluctant for another master's program but just want to know about the odds to get into the PhD program in such cases.

9 hours ago, buntaeiji said:

Hi all, just registered for an account. Congrats to all those who got admitted to their top programs and wish everyone will have ideal results coming in! So I just heard from U of Calgary. This is the only program I applied to in comm area. I applied to the PhD program but they offered me an admission towards the MA degree instead. They said because my master's was not in the comm area, they thought it as the best for me to take the MA program, and if I'd be successfull in the first year, they'll consider me for an early admission to the PhD program and credit transfer. I got a Bachelor of Economics in China and a MA in journalism in the US, but both programs are course-based and lead to professional occupations, so I had zero experience in research. I believe the offer came with a funding. I haven't checked it out thoroughly but at least they'll reimburse the extra tuition for international students.

Anyone with some thoughts on my case? Would it be extremely difficult to be transfered into the PhD program? By "successful" I'm assuming straight As in the first year, but phew, just imagine that pressure. I'm not reluctant for another master's program but just want to know about the odds to get into the PhD program in such cases.

When I visited Indiana last semester I spoke to a PhD student there with a similar experience. She had a conditional offer of being expedited into the PhD program if she entered the MA program instead and performed satisfactorily. She said she felt like it was pretty beneficial for her to have done that and helped her really find her focus prior to entering the PhD side of things.

In my own experience, my undergrad was more professional/applied in media production so I felt my masters (which is super theoretical/research based) has helped me tremendously in feeling more confident that I can really hit the ground running in my PhD program and successfully tackle coursework already having an idea of things. 

I hope that helps!   

The Northwestern Rhetoric and Public Culture recruitment was today, so their recruits have already been sent out. I follow a few of the PhD candidates on Twitter and one of the posted about presenting research while recruits were present. 

I'm guess anyone waitlisted will probably be contacted next week along with the rejections (I assume I'm one of them).

On 2018/2/25 at 12:05 AM, ProudCatMom said:

When I visited Indiana last semester I spoke to a PhD student there with a similar experience. She had a conditional offer of being expedited into the PhD program if she entered the MA program instead and performed satisfactorily. She said she felt like it was pretty beneficial for her to have done that and helped her really find her focus prior to entering the PhD side of things.

In my own experience, my undergrad was more professional/applied in media production so I felt my masters (which is super theoretical/research based) has helped me tremendously in feeling more confident that I can really hit the ground running in my PhD program and successfully tackle coursework already having an idea of things. 

I hope that helps!   

Thanks! That helps a lot. I just emailed UofC to get further details on this whole thing and funding package.

On 2/24/2018 at 8:46 PM, whitmanifesto said:

The Northwestern Rhetoric and Public Culture recruitment was today, so their recruits have already been sent out. I follow a few of the PhD candidates on Twitter and one of the posted about presenting research while recruits were present. 

I'm guess anyone waitlisted will probably be contacted next week along with the rejections (I assume I'm one of them).

RIP yeah I'm gonna count that one as a reject.

3 hours ago, surprise_quiche said:

In other news my campus visit to Milwaukee is on Friday, does anyone have any clothing suggestions for a day meeting with professors, grad students, and a colloquium?

Ask if the colloquium has a dress code even though you aren't presenting, because usually those are conference clothing only (business casual) but for a general visit office closes are fine. No one at NU or UIC were dressed up when I visited. I sat with the entire faculty and most of the grad students and it was just normal academic wear (I wore a short sleeve button up shirt, chinos and Keds. Everyone else was wearing similar, with a sweater as well or a dressy top).

I will also add, what to wear is pretty different depending on the culture of the department. NU students weren't dressed up, but the university as a whole does a LOT of colloquiums that require nice conference wear. My partner, though is male and masculine presenting so it's easier, dresses nicely for those events and is expected to dress nicely when he teaches next year. My current program is relaxed, and so have been all the places I've gone too. Honestly, students have higher expectations on dress code that faculty. As a masculine-leaning presenting female, I've received negative reviews from students for dressing the EXACT same way as male instructors and not being "professional" enough. 

I now mostly have unnatural colored hair and have visible tattoos and piercings (septum) and it was important that my department be an open culture for that. UIC definitely is (I'm not the only person there with quite visible tattoos). I've noticed that health communications and political communications focused departments are not like this, but my research is social movements and some queer studies so my appearance is very much appropriate. I once went over dressed to a history visit to IU Bloomington and was really uncomfortable (the prof was in a tank top and shorts and I was wearing black slacks and a black shirt).

Edited by whitmanifesto

@whitmanifesto Thanks! I'll definitely send them an email. I was planning on either a plain maroon dress with leggings or a button - up with khakis and heels (I'm female presenting but I like to dress non-binary sometimes).  I have quite a few piercings and tattoos, but they are all easily covered. The colloquium is for a new faculty hire if that makes any difference.

1 hour ago, surprise_quiche said:

@whitmanifesto Thanks! I'll definitely send them an email. I was planning on either a plain maroon dress with leggings or a button - up with khakis and heels (I'm female presenting but I like to dress non-binary sometimes).  I have quite a few piercings and tattoos, but they are all easily covered. The colloquium is for a new faculty hire if that makes any difference.

Both outfits sound fine, so I'd just go with what you think best expresses your personality. Its as much about them getting to know you as the other way around.

Got my rejection from Davis today. Actually glad since I've determined since applying it isn't the best culture fit for me (but it's the closest to my family). Only 1 decision outstanding still and it's probably a rejection. Next up, making the choice. x]

3 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

Next up, making the choice. x]

After a long talk with my Spouse, another talk with the program director, and more stress than necessary, I have officially accepted an offer.  SO MUCH RELIEF.

I decided that I'm going to do a University Reveal Party. I’ll gather all my friends together, perhaps ask for gifts, and have us cut into a cake. The inside will either be green and white (MSU) or yellow and black (Purdue). It’ll be my way of creating artificial suspense for something that matters to nobody except me and my family.

Time to go get some cake dye!