2018 Applications Thread

I got an email from NYU GSAS while I was at my NU email, except it was dated 3/5 and there was no decision posted! According to results search, this was widespread across multiple departments there. Get it together NYU!

In other news, am having a blast here in Chicagoland!

Edited by deshypothequiez

@deshypothequiez Awesome!  And the weather is cooperating for your visit too.  I hope you love the city.  How's Northwestern's program?  Are you getting excited about them?

@E-P Just getting a chance to unwind now that I'm back home! I feel really good about the program as a whole, but have a lot to consider about my place in it, I think. I applied to work with a particular faculty member there, whose research agenda admittedly doesn't seem to mesh with most of the other things going on in the department from what I could tell. Multiple current students I talked to kinda seemed like they didn't get why he's in the department either. So I'll definitely want to talk with him and his current student more in depth if I get an offer to get a better sense!

Unfortunately I didn't get a whole lot of time to see the city, but I did enjoy what I saw of Rogers Park and Boystown! And did not enjoy the transfer from the red to the purple, even at 8:30pm on a Saturday night.

On 3/2/2018 at 4:22 PM, E-P said:

After a long talk with my Spouse, another talk with the program director, and more stress than necessary, I have officially accepted an offer.  SO MUCH RELIEF.

I decided that I'm going to do a University Reveal Party. I’ll gather all my friends together, perhaps ask for gifts, and have us cut into a cake. The inside will either be green and white (MSU) or yellow and black (Purdue). It’ll be my way of creating artificial suspense for something that matters to nobody except me and my family.

Time to go get some cake dye!

This sounds like a really fun thing to do! I turned down one school today so I'm down to 4 to consider. :/

@deshypothequiez Do you know if that faculty member is more closely connected to the Communication studies  program? NU is designed to be inter-sectional/interdisciplinary, so they may be more important to a cluster or something, maybe even connected to a specific grants or fellowship that doesn't exist anymore. Or to provide a theoretical perspective that is needed in the department for course work, but isn't really represented in the research. When I was applying I was interested in Goankar, who doesn't seem to fit well in the Comm department (a lot of English people in that section of the School) but make sense for the kinds of course that are required.

What research are you looking to do there?

@whitmanifesto I think he's more central to MTS as he's not listed in the RPC faculty IIRC (I was just confused when I was applying about what the difference was). Similarly, I don't think he's taught any courses at the grad level in the last couple of years, although he does have undergrad courses listed that I'm sure are important to the dept. NU definitely values him though because, based on some insider knowledge, it sounds like he's been able to negotiate better pay using multiple job offers (including from NYU!). I think his work is pretty reliant on the local Chicago scene which is why he's chosen to stay.

That said, I should say that he isn't the only one working in that area (cultural studies, pop culture, media production), but the MTS student population seems to represent more of the other focal areas (health comm, media technology, child development) which probably explains why they don't work with him that much. (And I'm hoping that the fact that I'm vying for a less well-represented focal area in the dept will work in my favor!)

My research interests are about media representation of women of color and trans/GNC ppl (particularly Asian/Americans) in pop culture. Trying not to go too into detail to give away who I'm talking about but I'm sure you could probably piece this together...

On 3/2/2018 at 6:22 PM, E-P said:

I decided that I'm going to do a University Reveal Party. I’ll gather all my friends together, perhaps ask for gifts, and have us cut into a cake. The inside will either be green and white (MSU) or yellow and black (Purdue). It’ll be my way of creating artificial suspense for something that matters to nobody except me and my family.

Time to go get some cake dye!

I AM SO HERE FOR THIS!!!

Well all the visit to Milwaukee on Friday was amazing. I felt so welcomed by their community, and I could see fitting in there perfectly (both interest wise and interpersonsonally). I got the feeling that I was really valued and wanted in the department.

So I accepted this morning! Even though I still have an outstanding application decision, I feel 100% confident that this is where I should be going.

I'm just so pumped right now guys!

On 3/4/2018 at 12:51 PM, deshypothequiez said:

Unfortunately I didn't get a whole lot of time to see the city, but I did enjoy what I saw of Rogers Park and Boystown! And did not enjoy the transfer from the red to the purple, even at 8:30pm on a Saturday night.

Yeah, the red line feels like it's the busiest train line in the city.  And because of that, combined with the fact that it bisects a lot of less fortunate neighborhoods as well as the more fortunate ones, I feel like there's more dicey characters on it, more often.  During "business hours," the Purple line comes down to the Loop, then runs express from the Belmont Stop up to Evanston.  But on weekends..yeah.  For me, it was a matter of getting thicker skin - the city aloofness of ignoring people asking for money, and strategically positioning myself so that creepy people wouldn't be able to get at me.  I think you'll find it in any city with a well-used train line.

If you choose Northwestern, I would also check into the regional train, Metra.  It's a bit more expensive, but it's faster if you need to come downtown, and classier overall.

@surprise_quiche  Congrats!  I have a friend from my MA program who is studying up there, and she seems happy enough.  Her name is Samentha; I'm sure you'll bump into her at some point. :-)

@E-P I'm no stranger to dicey people on public transpo, so that's fine for me! If I get in and decide to go, I'm definitely considering looking around the express Purple stops (particularly Wilson and Belmont, so I'm not too far from Evanston) because it's important for me to have easy access to the city. I prefer to schedule my day as close to a 9-5 schedule as possible so the rush hour express service would be ideal. 

@deshypothequiez I wish you luck! But I think you've got this! Hopefully we can plan some cross-university research projects for us Chicagoland researchers! I'm going to the Rawley conference this weekend as members of the Big Ten Academic Alliance, but unfortunately UIC is no longer apart of that coalition :(

Anyone applying to the AoIR conference in Montreal? I'm applying to the PhD colloquium because I didn't have an appropriate paper to submit in time.

Hey y'all! I'm so happy to see so much good news from everyone. I had an interview with for a PhD the other day and think it went really well. I hope to hear from the school soon because it's a great program and not too far from my family compared to my other current options. (I'm not mentioning the program just bc I'm a lil paranoid they'll find me here lol but feel free to message if you're curious). I thought all hope was lost because I wasn't contacted sooner but I was called a "promising fit" so we'll see, I suppose! Automatic funding, too, if I'm admitted. 

How is everyone coming to this point in the process? Who are you still waiting on and how are you making your final decisions about where to attend?  

With so much going on right now and many people hearing/making decisions, to all lurkers and people who haven't heard news yet:

We are here for you and know how hard it is to be waiting while overs move forward. I know (for me) feeling discouraged or not wanting to bring people down with bad or no news makes me not post results, but just know that you're amazing and have our support with whatever's going on!

7 hours ago, surprise_quiche said:

With so much going on right now and many people hearing/making decisions, to all lurkers and people who haven't heard news yet:

We are here for you and know how hard it is to be waiting while overs move forward. I know (for me) feeling discouraged or not wanting to bring people down with bad or no news makes me not post results, but just know that you're amazing and have our support with whatever's going on!

Completely agree! I didn't get in anywhere last cycle, but the encouragement of fellow gradcafe-ers helped me pick myself up and work on my apps for this year. Keep posting whether you have good news or bad. We're here for you either way. <3

Happy news, though! I got into the rhetoric and political culture PhD at the University of Maryland last week! Fully funded for 5 years. I'm pretty sure that's where I'm going ❤️ 

The only place I haven't heard back from is the MA program at UGA.