2018 Applications Thread

@whitmanifesto @surprise_quiche @sriracha18 which one of you wrote this though? lol

Northwestern University Communication Sciences, PhD (F18) Rejected via E-mail on 21 Mar 2018 A 21 Mar 2018
  • "We regret to inform you..." Looks into the camera like in the office. Music from the curb your enthusiasm meme plays.

21 hours ago, xxNot_Surexx said:

Hi All, not sure if this is taboo but I’m wondering if my UIC offer is competitive. It’s around 18k for 10 months. Any UIC applicants negotiate with luck?

Its not negotiable. It's a state school with a flat rate for all TA positions. The take home is about $1,800 a month, which is doable in the Chicago for a small studio. I will be staying over state lines though, because thats where my research population is. This is the .50 teaching offer, which can be increased to .67 teaching/research/professional aide and all the current graduate students said that if they wanted to find more work, it is definitely available. I plan on searching for it in the summer when I'm not doing field research. The department has multiple journals that will need assistant editors, lots of funded research projects and we are welcome to search for other work outside the department. The healthcare and benefits at UIC are very good and it is unionized. The pay was just increased and is predicted to be increased again next year.

When I say it is not negotiable, it is only negotiable through the union. All GA's are paid the same rate. We aren't part of the union until after accepting the package and signing our paperwork.

Edited by whitmanifesto

@surprise_quiche I think there are different levels of competition for each division. Newer and smaller divisions are going to be more competitive since they have fewer panels. However, that could also mean fewer people are submitting to them. I expect Game Studies to be pretty competitive this year, given the theme. :/ 

Man, I'm only doing one submission this year. More power to you!

I find it surprising that all y'all are submitting.  I had thought about it, but the theme isn't anywhere near my research, and I don't really have an advisor right now since I finished my MA and am waiting for my PhD.  I figure that I'll just GO this year, if at all possible, and then work on a submission for next year.

CLEMSON VS. NC STATE. I'm torn. My research interests are in rhetorical theory, digital media and media theory. My far-too-simple analysis of these two programs, which are my finalists and are both offering similar funding packages, is that Clemson RCID focuses more on rhetorical theory, while NC State CRDM focuses more on communication, media theory and social media. I can't really go wrong with either-- both boast nearly 100% job placement rates. 

For anyone with inside knowledge of the programs, could you perhaps give me some advice on how they differ/which better sets up someone who'd like to one day publish in Kairos, Computers & Composition, and Philosphy & Rhetoric? 

My gut inclination as of now is to head to Raleigh and commit to NC State based on the faculty, the cohort, the awesome city, the location, the focus on media theory (which attracts me), and the overall level of comfortability. I haven't visited Clemson, so I haven't a clue what life would be like there. But they have big-name faculty and a history of excellence. 

Anyone have any inside knowledge on these programs? Thanks in advance!

On 3/30/2018 at 11:23 AM, Isocrates2.o said:

CLEMSON VS. NC STATE. I'm torn. My research interests are in rhetorical theory, digital media and media theory. My far-too-simple analysis of these two programs, which are my finalists and are both offering similar funding packages, is that Clemson RCID focuses more on rhetorical theory, while NC State CRDM focuses more on communication, media theory and social media. I can't really go wrong with either-- both boast nearly 100% job placement rates. 

For anyone with inside knowledge of the programs, could you perhaps give me some advice on how they differ/which better sets up someone who'd like to one day publish in Kairos, Computers & Composition, and Philosphy & Rhetoric? 

My gut inclination as of now is to head to Raleigh and commit to NC State based on the faculty, the cohort, the awesome city, the location, the focus on media theory (which attracts me), and the overall level of comfortability. I haven't visited Clemson, so I haven't a clue what life would be like there. But they have big-name faculty and a history of excellence. 

Anyone have any inside knowledge on these programs? Thanks in advance!

@Isocrates2.o

I'm a current MA student in Comm at Clemson though I'm not in that rhetoric comm program (I'm in dept of Comm, and the rhetoric program is in dept of English). I don't know their program a lot but I know some of their PhDs also collaborate with professors in my dept. I highly recommend Clemson as a nice place to live! Here is rural but I love here A LOT. Housing is very cheap here and you never have to deal with bad traffic cuz we are a small town. We are 1 hr driving to Greenville, 2 hr driving to both Atlanta and Charlotte so it's still convenient to shop and take flights, etc. Weather is awesome, we get snow maybe once or twice a year. 

36 minutes ago, deshypothequiez said:

I officially accepted the offer to attend Northwestern! We should have a Chicagoland meetup ;)

When you're in the area, let me know! My partner and I just got an apartment, I'll be moving to Hammond/Whiting in May, so we'll both be commuting a lot into Chicago.

@surprise_quiche I'm always in Chicagoland!

Is anyone else feeling the "senioritis" blues? I've been so depressed lately, and so busy. I'm hoping it'll dampen when I move into our new apartment.

Anyone can add me on Facebook or Instagram (same username) my full name is on my academia.edu link so I'm easily searchable. It'll be much easier to meet up with people on there. 

Also, Comm forum should be more focused on coordinating our research and conferences! Anyone interested in critical media theory, especially about political economy of media focus, let me know. I'm going to try to restart a graduate student group within the conference in which I'm on the steering committee.