2018 Applications Thread

@surprise_quiche Congrats on getting that interview! I got notification of a visitation weekend (different school) today and they're also a colder climate (though up to 36 today). Meanwhile, it's 55 in my neck of the woods and my feet are cold, haha.

@surprise_quiche I'm born and raised California (basically central) so it doesn't get much colder than this. Meanwhile, I'll probably be moving to a place with real seasons so that's something to look forward to/be anxious about.

Speaking of, any tips for looking cute and professional while also staying warm?

@GreenEyedTrombonist  So above all else get a really warm coat that you think is cute, since most of the time you'll be wearing that from November to March. In the Midwest, the Spring and Fall are usually in the 30s-60s but we can get snow storms even until May sometimes so never put your warm coat away. In the winter, I usually have a pair of thick-healed boots, and lots of sweaters and blanket scarves. Shawls are really in fashion right now and I usually wear one over all my clothes on the days it stays below zero. Also if you're into wearing dresses I recommend thick stockings/leggings and/or long-johns to go under dress pants if it's cold. 

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while now but I've finally decided to start posting and join you guys for a bit. :)

I'm based in Singapore now (my home country) and am currently a Master student who will be graduating by F18. Before, I graduated from UB SUNY in the US. My research interests lie in the convergence of computer-mediated communication and interpersonal communication. In particular, how social and digital media facilitate patterns that are different FtF and online etc. :P

Anyway, just thought I'll introduce myself. It's pretty early into the cycle, but I am already feeling the jitters. (Yesterday, I woke up at 5.30am to scroll through this forum...HAAHA).

@JF222 Welcome! I feel those jitters, too. I had a nightmare last night that emails from my applications were filtered out from my inbox, so I think we're all a little high strung. Good luck wishes!

Edited by surprise_quiche

@surprise_quiche I booked it! (and under 400. woohoo!) The problem is that I live in a city with flight curfews due to noise, so it's hard to find something that wouldn't get in super late at night. Managed to find a flight with a good layover time that gets in at 5:10 pm though. :) Taking a different airline home, but I'm only bringing one carry-on so that shouldn't be an issue.

19 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

@surprise_quiche I'm born and raised California (basically central) so it doesn't get much colder than this. Meanwhile, I'll probably be moving to a place with real seasons so that's something to look forward to/be anxious about.

Speaking of, any tips for looking cute and professional while also staying warm?

I did my undergrad in LA, and moving to Chicago for an MA was the transition of all transitions. Long-term, you're going to want two winter coats—one of which might be knee-length and the other one of which should go at least to your calves and make you look like you're headed to a casting call for the Michelin Man. Eddie Bauer has good deals—you can shop for them on clearance during the summer. 

Also: thermal underwear. Yes, really. Good thermal underwear. And layer your gloves. 

Most places in the Midwest are great at cranking up the heat inside buildings, so once you're indoors, you can pretty much wear whatever. That said, you'd be smart to layer: you can pack a skirt if you'd like, but depending on the temps you can tolerate, you might be far happier (and still look super cute) in a pair of business trousers. You can pair that with a good blouse and colorful jacket/blazer—maybe one with contrasting/patterned inner sleeves that you can roll up for some added spunk—and voilà! Good to go. 

@GreenEyedTrombonist I actually did all right by wearing a tight-ish, long-sleeved black top and thermals on the bottom. (Underneath several other layers, of course!)

I'd expect, though, that you might find some good tank top thermals on Amazon. I'll have to check and see what company I got my thermals from when I got home (it wasn't Eddie Bauer; I only used them for coats, which are high-quality but pretty expensive when not on clearance!) 

The multiple pairs of gloves saved me, as did a real pair of durable snow boots. 

Did anyone else apply to UMD- College Park?

I saw that one individual posted to the results page that they were offered an interview. I'm curious about their background and qualifications - mostly because I'm nervous about my own chances *being honest*. I wasn't able to study for the GRE and had to rush to complete my application over a two week window - because I'd been in PR, helping with the hurricane response. UMD is the only school that I applied to, this year. 

Edited by Shay825

@Dan_Xu Congratulations! That's awesome news!

I think it's one of those goodness of fit things. Review what you said in your SoP, prep some questions for the profs interviewing you (about their research-be ready to talk about how your research fits with their focus, about their advising style, the campus culture, etc) and you should be pretty good. Is this in person or over phone/video/something else?

@GreenEyedTrombonist Thank you for the info. I think I might need to ACTUALLY read my POI's recent publications. 

It's a Skype interview. All international applicants are to interviewed via Skype even though I am actually living in Texas. So sad. I was so looking forward to visiting Chapel Hill.