2018 Applications Thread

@surprise_quiche I can't send emails to the POIs now, cause I have a pathological fear of bothering people, but is your POI Janice Radway? I requested to work with Kate Baldwin and Dilip Goankar because I'm politics focused. I've applied to UIC and Wayne State now, at UIC I did get to speak ad attend a class with my POI, she's great. Not with the other two I mentioned in my SOP. 

@whitmanifesto JR is my POI yes.

I totally understand that feeling though; the thought of inconveniencing people fills me with dread. However the worst that could happen is they don't answer or they are too busy. All in all it helps relieve the stress and helplessness caused by the unrelenting radio silence from programs.

@surprise_quiche That is true. If you get any information on when their prospective/recruitment day is let me know! I may do the same with UIC, I was less intimidated at that campus. Plus, their quarter system at NU makes it much more difficult to get on their schedules.

Finished an interview today with one of my top schools. I was very nervous but I think it will pretty well. My POI and I seem to have matching tastes & I could definitely see her as my adviser. Haven't heard anything back from any other programs so I'm trying not to panic yet. 

Just had my Madison interview, and he my POI said they've already made their first cuts. Unfortunately I didn't make it unless something changes. But he was super helpful and said to keep going on this path, which was really thoughtful. He said there were only four spots avail. and a really competitive pool.

Edited by surprise_quiche

@surprise_quiche sorry to hear that about madison, but I second the congrats about milwaukee! 

how is everyone else faring? i've only had one interview and no other word from any other programs. some deadlines were as recent as monday so i'm trying not to panic. 

Edited by sriracha18

All the talk of Madison interviews is rattling me a little to be honest! I've heard nothing from anywhere else, and starting the season with a probable rejection is not easy. Especially because lately I've been thinking about what type of program I want to attend. I'd obviously like to attend the type of program whose graduates go onto prestigious jobs in PhD granting programs, and so I did some research. I looked at the faculty at all the PhD programs in comm to find faculty who look like they might have responded to job calls that, if they were open once I hit the job market, I would apply to. Unfortunately, I did this after applications were sent out. What I found were that five of the programs I applied to have a much more impressive record of their graduates going onto prestige jobs than the others. Wisconsin is one of those, and I'm less and less sure I want to attend a program whose graduates don't go on to prestigious jobs. My list can be divided into three tiers in terms of job placement, and I'm desperately hoping to get into a school in at least the middle tier. Hopefully the response from Madison is not indicative that I'll get dinged from all the top programs. 

3 hours ago, surprise_quiche said:

CSCA President just emailed; my project got accepted to the undergraduate research conference in April! YAY!! I only wish it wasn't so close, since then I'd be able to travel.

Wow! You might want to try with NCA as well. I’ve been to the convention of 2017 and presented my paper there. Great event to meet and mingle with POIs. 

@Dan_Xu @GreenEyedTrombonist  I know right?

I was thinking about submitting, but my research doesn't really fit with the theme this year since its about sexual education competency in early adulthood (not play-esque lol). But I was talking with my sponsor about it so who knows? The deadline is in March so there's still time.

@surprise_quiche My MA research was on Twitch (specifically looking at one community that frequents several channels). I'd love to find a way to discuss the evolution of gaming as a large-scale entertainment medium (so the move to gaming tournaments and livestreams that have turned games into entertainment, not only for the player, but for an audience).