phdthoughts

2018 Applications Thread

@deshypothequiez I wish you luck! But I think you've got this! Hopefully we can plan some cross-university research projects for us Chicagoland researchers! I'm going to the Rawley conference this weekend as members of the Big Ten Academic Alliance, but unfortunately UIC is no longer apart of that coalition :(

Anyone applying to the AoIR conference in Montreal? I'm applying to the PhD colloquium because I didn't have an appropriate paper to submit in time.

Hey y'all! I'm so happy to see so much good news from everyone. I had an interview with for a PhD the other day and think it went really well. I hope to hear from the school soon because it's a great program and not too far from my family compared to my other current options. (I'm not mentioning the program just bc I'm a lil paranoid they'll find me here lol but feel free to message if you're curious). I thought all hope was lost because I wasn't contacted sooner but I was called a "promising fit" so we'll see, I suppose! Automatic funding, too, if I'm admitted. 

How is everyone coming to this point in the process? Who are you still waiting on and how are you making your final decisions about where to attend?  

With so much going on right now and many people hearing/making decisions, to all lurkers and people who haven't heard news yet:

We are here for you and know how hard it is to be waiting while overs move forward. I know (for me) feeling discouraged or not wanting to bring people down with bad or no news makes me not post results, but just know that you're amazing and have our support with whatever's going on!

7 hours ago, surprise_quiche said:

With so much going on right now and many people hearing/making decisions, to all lurkers and people who haven't heard news yet:

We are here for you and know how hard it is to be waiting while overs move forward. I know (for me) feeling discouraged or not wanting to bring people down with bad or no news makes me not post results, but just know that you're amazing and have our support with whatever's going on!

Completely agree! I didn't get in anywhere last cycle, but the encouragement of fellow gradcafe-ers helped me pick myself up and work on my apps for this year. Keep posting whether you have good news or bad. We're here for you either way. <3

Congratulations for the offer! @Shay825. Yes, changes sometimes are terrifying but we have to move on. Best wishes for your life in the next few years as a "student" again!

55 minutes ago, whitmanifesto said:

NU sent out they're rejections today! I was one of them lol. I'm not surprised. UIC was my top pick!

Same!

8 minutes ago, surprise_quiche said:

Same!

Joining the NU rejection club, lol. Also not a surprise. I had all but forgotten the application was still active ?

Happy news, though! I got into the rhetoric and political culture PhD at the University of Maryland last week! Fully funded for 5 years. I'm pretty sure that's where I'm going ❤️ 

The only place I haven't heard back from is the MA program at UGA.

@whitmanifesto @surprise_quiche @sriracha18 which one of you wrote this though? lol

Northwestern University Communication Sciences, PhD (F18) Rejected via E-mail on 21 Mar 2018 A 21 Mar 2018
  • "We regret to inform you..." Looks into the camera like in the office. Music from the curb your enthusiasm meme plays.

21 hours ago, xxNot_Surexx said:

Hi All, not sure if this is taboo but I’m wondering if my UIC offer is competitive. It’s around 18k for 10 months. Any UIC applicants negotiate with luck?

Its not negotiable. It's a state school with a flat rate for all TA positions. The take home is about $1,800 a month, which is doable in the Chicago for a small studio. I will be staying over state lines though, because thats where my research population is. This is the .50 teaching offer, which can be increased to .67 teaching/research/professional aide and all the current graduate students said that if they wanted to find more work, it is definitely available. I plan on searching for it in the summer when I'm not doing field research. The department has multiple journals that will need assistant editors, lots of funded research projects and we are welcome to search for other work outside the department. The healthcare and benefits at UIC are very good and it is unionized. The pay was just increased and is predicted to be increased again next year.

When I say it is not negotiable, it is only negotiable through the union. All GA's are paid the same rate. We aren't part of the union until after accepting the package and signing our paperwork.

Edited by whitmanifesto