HGSE 2018

Edugy

1 hour ago, Alse14262331 said:

Is it safe to assume at this point that if you haven’t received an invite to interview for the PhD, you’re out?

Also, congratulations and good luck to everyone who is interviewing!

@Alse14262331 From previous years, it does seem to be the case that nearly all PhD offers were given only to those who received interview invites. However, I remember seeing somewhere that there were a few cases where applicants were accepted without the interview. I'm assuming that such cases are rare. But, as my friends have all been saying, you never know until you get a phone call and or an email regarding the final verdict lol.

1 hour ago, Alse14262331 said:

Is it safe to assume at this point that if you haven’t received an invite to interview for the PhD, you’re out?

Hopefully not all of the emails re: interviews have gone out yet though, unless someone knows that they have for sure - as did any applicants hear anything yesterday (Saturday) or today (Sunday)? Unless you did, it seems more emails may still be to come as there are only 5 posts total on the overall results forum for Ph.D. Interviews so far, unless the lucky ones are just not posting over the past couple of days? Anyway, it might be possible that more for various programs are still to go out this Monday/Tuesday due to the very few number of total results posts.

Also HGSE had two snow days earlier this month, so may still be reviewing. Fingers crossed. Good luck to all! ?

3 hours ago, Alse14262331 said:

I'm not ready to give up yet!

1 hour ago, EdPhDHopeful said:

@Alse14262331 From previous years, it does seem to be the case that nearly all PhD offers were given only to those who received interview invites. However, I remember seeing somewhere that there were a few cases where applicants were accepted without the interview. I'm assuming that such cases are rare. But, as my friends have all been saying, you never know until you get a phone call and or an email regarding the final verdict lol.

I would assume folks who are not interviewed would have to be really strong candidates—which is not, by any means, an insinuation that those interviewed are not strong candidates. I admit I am curious about this. I suppose we won't know definitely about anything until the acceptances/rejections are sent. It's hard to wait, but keep your hopes up, everyone!

Edited by dh17

12 minutes ago, Seattle Gal said:

Hopefully not all of the emails re: interviews have gone out yet though, unless someone knows that they have for sure - as did any applicants hear anything yesterday (Saturday) or today (Sunday)? Unless you did, it seems more emails may still be to come as there are only 5 posts total on the overall results forum for Ph.D. Interviews so far, unless the lucky ones are just not posting over the past couple of days? Anyway, it might be possible that more for various programs are still to go out this Monday/Tuesday due to the very few number of total results posts.

Also HGSE had two snow days earlier this month, so may still be reviewing. Fingers crossed. Good luck to all! ?

Another thing to keep in mind is we don't really know how many applicants there are compared to how many applicants have found this forum and are posting, so it's hard to judge by anything, I guess, except for the final word from the school. 

51 minutes ago, dh17 said:

Another thing to keep in mind is we don't really know how many applicants there are compared to how many applicants have found this forum and are posting, so it's hard to judge by anything, I guess, except for the final word from the school. 

According to my HGSE friend, between 45-50 applicants receive interview invitations in the past admissions cycles (so about 16 per program, give or take). When we talked last year there were a little under 600 applicants if I remember correctly. Not to be discouraging, just something to keep in mind, the number of interviews compared to applicants is REALLY low.

11 minutes ago, jmaroon said:

According to my HGSE friend, between 45-50 applicants receive interview invitations in the past admissions cycles (so about 16 per program, give or take). When we talked last year there were a little under 600 applicants if I remember correctly. Not to be discouraging, just something to keep in mind, the number of interviews compared to applicants is REALLY low.

That is something I figured. I imagined the number of people applying was much greater than the number of people posting here. 

How have interviews been going for those of you who had them already? I think mine went well... I think I could have been more clear with some of my answers, but overall I think it went okay. How is everyone else feeling?

On 1/23/2018 at 9:48 AM, Blue94 said:

How have interviews been going for those of you who had them already? I think mine went well... I think I could have been more clear with some of my answers, but overall I think it went okay. How is everyone else feeling?

What did they ask you? I'm wondering how individualized the interview are. 

On 1/24/2018 at 3:48 AM, Blue94 said:

Hi, I personally think I did okay too. I was very nervous but the professors were so nice which put me at ease after a few minutes. 

Would you be open to DMing with me and comparing how your interview went with mine?

Hi Everyone,

I applied for the International Education Policy M.S.Ed program. I want to check with you all to see if you received an interview yet.

Yes, for Master's degree. Many of my friends from China have received an interview. It makes me kind of nervous at this point.

29 minutes ago, CGedu said:

Hi Everyone,

I applied for the International Education Policy M.S.Ed program. I want to check with you all to see if you received an interview yet.

Yes, for Master's degree. Many of my friends from China have received an interview. It makes me kind of nervous at this point.

Yes. I received an interview request today. I am also an international applicant who applies for the Ed.M. program.

I have already sent a message to you. Maybe we can discuss more about it? 

Edited by RealisticIdealist

4 hours ago, RealisticIdealist said:

Yes. I received an interview request today. I am also an international applicant who applies for the Ed.M. program.

I have already sent a message to you. Maybe we can discuss more about it? 

which Ed.M program are you applying for? As the admission process does not require interviews for the masters, it might be program specific. 

11 hours ago, avocadodo said:

which Ed.M program are you applying for? As the admission process does not require interviews for the masters, it might be program specific. 

I am applying for the Arts in Education program. Yes, you are right! The admission process does not require interviews for the masters. I have asked them about it before, and they told me that "a small number of applicants are asked to hold Skype interviews with us so that we can learn more about their English language ability based on the materials that they have submitted, including but not limited to TOEFL scores. This does not vary by program."

I think I received the interview request because I am an international applicant and they want to learn more about my communication skills. Therefore, you guys do not need to worry about that! 

1 hour ago, RealisticIdealist said:

I am applying for the Arts in Education program. Yes, you are right! The admission process does not require interviews for the masters. I have asked them about it before, and they told me that "a small number of applicants are asked to hold Skype interviews with us so that we can learn more about their English language ability based on the materials that they have submitted, including but not limited to TOEFL scores. This does not vary by program."

I think I received the interview request because I am an international applicant and they want to learn more about my communication skills. Therefore, you guys do not need to worry about that! 

Thank you for clarifying this! I'm also applying for AIE. Sending you good vibes for the interview!

On 1/25/2018 at 1:45 PM, Andrew_Doane said:

What did they ask you? I'm wondering how individualized the interview are. 

They were the questions you would expect at first and then more specific about my interests and experiences. Mix of both!

On 1/25/2018 at 5:43 PM, cal03 said:

Hi, I personally think I did okay too. I was very nervous but the professors were so nice which put me at ease after a few minutes. 

Would you be open to DMing with me and comparing how your interview went with mine?

Hello! Yes, I would! :) 

2 hours ago, Nayeom2 said:

I am an international student, who is applying for the Education Policy and Management program. I have not heard any message from the admission office....:(

Hey, so as far as what I know, these interviews were only sent to select international students. It does not mean anything (especially anything bad) if you haven't got any. If you want to talk more about it, you can DM me. No worries and good luck!

I'm also an international student applying for the Education Policy and Management program. I'm in the same with no message, except the financial aids application message lol. By the way, is that program for only Americans because the website says that "If you have an ambitious vision for the future of American educational systems and reforms, you will be right at home in the EPM community."

3 hours ago, sakurajima said:

I'm also an international student applying for the Education Policy and Management program. I'm in the same with no message, except the financial aids application message lol. By the way, is that program for only Americans because the website says that "If you have an ambitious vision for the future of American educational systems and reforms, you will be right at home in the EPM community."

@sakurajima You don't have to be a US citizen or resident to be part of that program, but the EPM coursework is focused on education and policy within the United States education system. The required coursework is mainly US centric. Alternatively, there is the International Education Policy program for those interested in policy worldwide (or in specific countries outside the US)