Guest AH_MA

Austin, TX

@madamoiselle's breakdown of neighborhoods is still fairly accurate through today, though I should warn that all the rent prices are at least 1.5 - 3 times described.

On 2/2/2018 at 11:35 AM, RK092089 said:

I'm thinking about Austin for an English PhD. My wife is an English adjunct professor, and we're wondering whether there are commonly English adjunct jobs available in Austin or the surrounding area one can apply to externally?

There are quite a few options within the city or up to an hour's drive from UT. These include Texas State University, St. Edwards, Southwestern College, Huston-Tillotson, and Austin CC (probably one of the best community colleges in the country). There is also Concordia Texas, though that is a pretty conservative, religious university.

On top of those, driving an hour and a half will get her to the various San Antonio schools (UTSA, Alamo colleges, St. Mary's, U of Incarnate Word, Out Lady of the Lake, TAMU-SA, Trinity), Texas Lutheran, a few Texas Central Colleges, A & M Central Texas, Mary-Hardin Baylor, and one of the Blinn College locations. Some of these are also pretty conservative, religious universities.

Hope that helps!

@Excelsior!It really depends on how much debt you're currently carrying. I have friends who are on 18k/yr that live fairly comfortably (though in surrounding area). I have debt though, so I have to supplement my income with content writing gigs. I would imagine with no debt, I would want at least 20k/yr if I was to live in Austin.

@madamoiselleit just keeps getting higher and higher. If I do manage to get off the waitlist at UT, I'll probably stay where I am in San Marcos. Even if we hypothetically move the following year, I doubt we'd find a comparable place north of Slaughter lane or south of Research blvd.

12 hours ago, CulturalCriminal said:

@madamoiselle's breakdown of neighborhoods is still fairly accurate through today, though I should warn that all the rent prices are at least 1.5 - 3 times described.

There are quite a few options within the city or up to an hour's drive from UT. These include Texas State University, St. Edwards, Southwestern College, Huston-Tillotson, and Austin CC (probably one of the best community colleges in the country). There is also Concordia Texas, though that is a pretty conservative, religious university.

On top of those, driving an hour and a half will get her to the various San Antonio schools (UTSA, Alamo colleges, St. Mary's, U of Incarnate Word, Out Lady of the Lake, TAMU-SA, Trinity), Texas Lutheran, a few Texas Central Colleges, A & M Central Texas, Mary-Hardin Baylor, and one of the Blinn College locations. Some of these are also pretty conservative, religious universities.

Hope that helps!

Thank you!

Hi, 

I am an incoming student at UT Austin joining LBJ the coming fall. In lookout for a UT student to share accomodation with. Can anybody direct me to a fb page/ site where I could catch up with other fall admits

Thank you

Hi, 

I am an incoming student at UT Austin joining LBJ the coming fall. In lookout for a UT student to share accomodation with. Can anybody direct me to a fb page/ site where I could catch up with other fall admits

Thank you

1 hour ago, paul101 said:

Hi, 

Thank you

Hey there! Congrats on the acceptance to UT! I'm a native to Austin so if you have any questions about the city or housing, let me know!

These links may be helpful: UT Austin Roommate/Sublet finder and UT"s Graduate Housing Resources

If you're new to Austin, I would advise avoiding the housing off Riverside/Oltorf. There are large complexes off East Riverside that cater to students, 99% undergrads. I've lived there and it's not pleasant. They basically pair you up randomly unless you have roommates you'd already like to live with, and since it's not official university housing, sometimes you aren't even matched with other students (one of my roommates was an aspiring graffiti artist who left the place smelling of spray paint, let random people in to sleep on the couch who would later break back in to sleep on said couch after being kicked out, and was such a terror in the kitchen that we had a permanent fruit fly infestation). Even if you find roommates you'd like to live with, please look elsewhere with them, as these places are loud and there are lots of car break-ins. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nothingtown said:

Hey there! Congrats on the acceptance to UT! I'm a native to Austin so if you have any questions about the city or housing, let me know!

These links may be helpful: UT Austin Roommate/Sublet finder and UT"s Graduate Housing Resources

If you're new to Austin, I would advise avoiding the housing off Riverside/Oltorf. There are large complexes off East Riverside that cater to students, 99% undergrads. I've lived there and it's not pleasant. They basically pair you up randomly unless you have roommates you'd already like to live with, and since it's not official university housing, sometimes you aren't even matched with other students (one of my roommates was an aspiring graffiti artist who left the place smelling of spray paint, let random people in to sleep on the couch who would later break back in to sleep on said couch after being kicked out, and was such a terror in the kitchen that we had a permanent fruit fly infestation). Even if you find roommates you'd like to live with, please look elsewhere with them, as these places are loud and there are lots of car break-ins. 

I lived in the Ballpark West off Riverside during undergrad, and it was okay because I picked my roommates. I agree that it's extremely risky if you get matched with strangers.

However, there are a lot of factors that make Riverside desirable in my opinion. Most of those large complexes are walking distance from a grocery store, which is vital if you don't have a car (I didn't). The area is pretty well-connected to public transportation, and there's a UT shuttle that stops right at the gates of many complexes. You're going to pay a high premium for these amenities in other neighborhoods. I knew people who lived in worse apartments close to campus (specifically West Campus), and they paid $200-300 more per month.

If you do have a car, I might recommend looking in the North Loop area. It's more expensive than Riverside, but from what I saw not by much. It's a quiet area with a few hip restaurants and stores (plus a coffee shop that stays open late-night!).

Edited by feralgrad

1 hour ago, feralgrad said:

I lived in the Ballpark West off Riverside during undergrad, and it was okay because I picked my roommates. I agree that it's extremely risky if you get matched with strangers.

However, there are a lot of factors that make Riverside desirable in my opinion. Most of those large complexes are walking distance from a grocery store, which is vital if you don't have a car (I didn't). The area is pretty well-connected to public transportation, and there's a UT shuttle that stops right at the gates of many complexes. You're going to pay a high premium for these amenities in other neighborhoods. I knew people who lived in worse apartments close to campus (specifically West Campus), and they paid $200-300 more per month.

If you do have a car, I might recommend looking in the North Loop area. It's more expensive than Riverside, but from what I saw not by much. It's a quiet area with a few hip restaurants and stores (plus a coffee shop that stays open late-night!).

Good point about the public transport. There's a UT shuttle that leaves from Riverside (Crossing Place and a few others). It was a decent place to live in terms of general walking distance to things. 

If you have a car though, the hidden cost of living there is that your car insurance will go way up in that area. I saved $50/month just by moving out of Riverside. You could put that towards rent in a better area--again, if you have a car. 

19 hours ago, paul101 said:

Hi, 

Thank you

Hey there! I'm joining a business program at Mccombs this summer! 

If anyone has any good resources for roommates/housing, please let me know! I've sent in a join request to the facebook group, but it's still under processing

Also, how authentic is 24th street realty? They have very divided reviews online

Hi! Anyone have advice on how early to come to UT Austin to secure decent housing? Class starts August 19 officially. Thank you!

On 4/24/2019 at 12:04 PM, madrid said:

Hi! Anyone have advice on how early to come to UT Austin to secure decent housing? Class starts August 19 officially. Thank you!

I actually think classes don't start until August 28th but I may be mistaken

On 4/24/2019 at 12:04 PM, madrid said:

I'd love info on this as well! I'm going down the second week in June to apartment hunt and can't tell if I am too early or too late!

On 5/8/2019 at 9:38 PM, slptobe97 said:

I actually think classes don't start until August 28th but I may be mistaken

I agree. I think that they don't start until the 28th.