Austin, TX

Guest AH_MA

Is west campus notorious for partying? It looks like it's pretty close to the mechanical engineering building, so that would be nice...

Yes. West Campus is where the frat houses and many of uh...less studious...undergrads live.

There are apartments way closer to the mechanical engineering building on north campus, which is a much more quiet area. Many of these are condos, though, so you may need to get a Realtor to help you find them. Usually they will do this at no cost to you. Also, many of these places will rent out 6 months in advance, so you could probably set something up with a Realtor during your visit and go ahead and get a place while you are there.

Hey guys,

As I mentioned, I'll be moving down to Austin with my significant other (a lawyer) late in the summer. I'm trying to get a feel of the job market down there (and, yes, I realize this is an unbelievably difficult/unfair time to assess employment opportunities anywhere). Does anyone have any insight? As I mentioned, he's a lawyer and will be looking for legal work down there after passing the TX bar. I don't want to drag him there if it will be impossible to get a job, so I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of perspective on the situation. Please let me know!

Thanks,

Liz

• 2 weeks later...

Graduate On-Campus Living: Has anyone experience with either Brackenridge, Colorado or the Gateway Apartments? Are these primarily "family" apartments? I'm a relatively young male (27), and I prefer privacy. I'm not interested in a place that is raging with parties like West Campus appears. From the posts, it seems like the North Campus area is pretty good, but I thought I would investigate the University apartments--just to be sure. Any suggestions? Have experience, or know about these places? THANKS A MILLION! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks,

I have been admitted as a grad student in UT Austin (Yeaah!!! Go Longhorns :D ). I am thinking of staying off campus preferably close the Engineering block and East Mall area. Most of my CS and EE classes take place there. Could you guys give me some tips which are the closest (or atleast on the UT Shuttle route) places which are reasonably priced and most preferably away from the party zones. (It would be awesome to have some peace and quiet during exam times.)

Thanks in advance

TDE

Hello folks,

I have been admitted as a grad student in UT Austin (Yeaah!!! Go Longhorns :D ). I am thinking of staying off campus preferably close the Engineering block and East Mall area. Most of my CS and EE classes take place there. Could you guys give me some tips which are the closest (or atleast on the UT Shuttle route) places which are reasonably priced and most preferably away from the party zones. (It would be awesome to have some peace and quiet during exam times.)

Thanks in advance

TDE

I put up a map a few weeks ago, but it appears that my image host put the kibosh on it.

Never fear, here is is again.

The colored area in the bottom right is the Mechanical Engineering building. All of the other engineering buildings are somewhere around there. Don't worry about the part on the left side of the map. I was trying to dissuade a previous user from living on west campus. What you're interested in is above and to the right of the ME building. I'd call a Realtor that knows the campus area well, because many of those buildings are condos for lease by individuals.

As far as noise, that isn't usually too bad, especially during exam times, on north campus. North campus is close to engineering and law, and is mostly frat house free, so it is much quieter than west campus. You can get a decent 1 bedroom for around ~750-800. 2 bedrooms around $1200-$1400.

Hook 'em.

ncampus.JPG

I put up a map a few weeks ago, but it appears that my image host put the kibosh on it.

Never fear, here is is again.

The colored area in the bottom right is the Mechanical Engineering building. All of the other engineering buildings are somewhere around there. Don't worry about the part on the left side of the map. I was trying to dissuade a previous user from living on west campus. What you're interested in is above and to the right of the ME building. I'd call a Realtor that knows the campus area well, because many of those buildings are condos for lease by individuals.

As far as noise, that isn't usually too bad, especially during exam times, on north campus. North campus is close to engineering and law, and is mostly frat house free, so it is much quieter than west campus. You can get a decent 1 bedroom for around ~750-800. 2 bedrooms around $1200-$1400.

Hook 'em.

@was1984:

Thank you so much! Btw, are those areas marked in yellow above the Mechanical Engineering building housing blocks or something? Also, if you do know, could you please tell me how much time it would take me (using pedestrian pathways) to go by walk/sprint from the Engineering Sciences Building (ENS) to Ernest Cockrell Jr. Hall (ECJ). Apparently there is a class that starts in ECJ at exactly the same time another ends in ENS. :|

Thanks in advance

TDE

@was1984:

Thank you so much! Btw, are those areas marked in yellow above the Mechanical Engineering building housing blocks or something? Also, if you do know, could you please tell me how much time it would take me (using pedestrian pathways) to go by walk/sprint from the Engineering Sciences Building (ENS) to Ernest Cockrell Jr. Hall (ECJ). Apparently there is a class that starts in ECJ at exactly the same time another ends in ENS. :|

Thanks in advance

TDE

The areas I marked are areas I know have multi unit housing in them. The reason I marked all the way up to 35th street (and I could probably have marked much further, at least to 45th street) is because there is a bus that picks up along Speedway and drops you off right by the engineering buildings.

You always have at least 10 minutes (unless this is some weird scheduling thing specific to your situation) to walk from one class to another. On Tuesday/Thursday classes you have 15 minutes.

A MWF class that starts at 1:00 ends at 1:50, not 2:00.

A TR class that starts at 12:30 always ends at 1:45, not 2:00.

Besides that, ENS to ECJ is maybe a 1 minute walk. They are right next to each other.

Campus map: http://www.utexas.edu/maps/. The building I marked red above is ETC. ECJ and ENS are both on the other side of Dean Keeton Street.

• 2 weeks later...
Graduate On-Campus Living: Has anyone experience with either Brackenridge, Colorado or the Gateway Apartments? Are these primarily "family" apartments? I'm a relatively young male (27), and I prefer privacy. I'm not interested in a place that is raging with parties like West Campus appears. From the posts, it seems like the North Campus area is pretty good, but I thought I would investigate the University apartments--just to be sure. Any suggestions? Have experience, or know about these places? THANKS A MILLION! :D

I have basically the same question - anyone have any actual housing experience?

David - I drove past all 3 complexes while in Austin recently and thought they looked pretty decent - obviously not luxury apartments, but lots of parking, a small community garden on each complex, and tons of washer and dryers. I think Brackenridge (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is the newest complex and looks a bit nicer than the others. As to families, I definitely saw a few toys/youngins around the complexes, but I also saw a decent number of younger students waiting for the buses sooo... looks like a mix. From what I understand University Apartments are waitlisted, so if you're even considering I would suggest filling out info NOW. I asked when I would receive info about whether or not I have a place and they said 30 days before the desired move-in date I had put down - yikes! But they are super cheap and in a good location so I think I'll stick it out... Maybe put a deposit on another place just in case? Scary!

• 3 weeks later...

Hyde Park is really nice (the high 30s and 40s from Guadalupe to Red River). It's on the shuttle route (as a previous poster mentioned), within easy biking distance of UT, and is even walkable (rare!) if you want a stroll on a nice day. There is a nice little strip of stuff on 43 st as well as up Duval that is probably all that most of the posters here seem to be looking for-- couple of places to eat, a great (though busy) coffee shop, laundry, supermarket, gas station, and...tennis/basketball courts if you aren't into the indoor gym thing. Rent is pretty affordable if you're in one of the motel-style complexes, but I think you can even get a little cottage house without going broke.

(I'm basically writing this because living in a neighborhood like HP sounds surprisingly great right now...come on, Hillcrest)

That said, West Campus really ain't that bad as far as noise and parties. You have to deliberately walk over to the frat section to have much contact with that stuff, and while the landlords may be a little less scrupulous because they're used to dealing with stoners and "musicians," there wasn't one night while I lived there when I found myself cursing the neighbors because I couldn't sleep or something.

Hey everyone, great forum.

I wanted to get some people's opinion on this situation. I will be attending UT-Austin for grad school. I am moving from over 1500 miles away. I found a really really good place, did not seem shady and the pictures and emails that have been sent back and forth are very detailed and thorough. This place pretty much fits every thing I wanted in a place in terms of location, price, roommate atmosphere, furnished, close to the shuttles, all that. My problem is that I am extremely tight on money. I know a lot of students from way out, especially international students, sign leases pretty much without every visiting the place in person. The owner has said many students move in sight unseen (aside from emails and pictures) and were very pleased. I believe it too because this owner is very thorough.

What are people's thoughts on this? It would cost me about $500 to visit Austin for a day or two to visit this place. If I'm going to visit I figure I may as well visit other places for rent as well. How crazy is it to not visit and sign a lease for August in the next few weeks? I'd like to hear from anyone who moved a long distance or is an international student. I would feel more hesitant about it except that I have been very impressed with this particular place and the communication with the owner.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

A little late in the game . . .but I'm headed down to Austin to try to lock up a place to live early next week (I live 1000 miles away). I'll be at the School of Information, fwiw. I have access to a car, bike, and seeing as I'm from Chicago I'm well-versed with public transit . . .so basically, any convenient path to campus works for me.

Any advice on places to look at while I'm there? I've been doing plenty of research on it but figured some opinions would be helpful.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anybody can advise me about the cost of living in Austin? I got accepted to UT-Austin and got my funding package through, but as an international student I have no idea whether it will be enough.

How much do you think it costs to live/rent/eat/travel/drink in Austin per year, roughly? In total? $15k? $20k? $50k???

Any insights would be really welcome.

Thanks,

LN

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anybody can advise me about the cost of living in Austin? I got accepted to UT-Austin and got my funding package through, but as an international student I have no idea whether it will be enough.

How much do you think it costs to live/rent/eat/travel/drink in Austin per year, roughly? In total? $15k? $20k? $50k???

Any insights would be really welcome.

Thanks,

LN

I'd like to know also, since I might end up there. I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of $15-20K?

I was checking out one bedroom apartments on craigslist and on average it was $500/month. Very affordable, especially compared to LA, NY, SF and other big cities.

Apartments, the decent ones are around 600-800 for 1 bedrooms depending upon size, location, and how nice. A $500 apartment is probably over in the ghetto (East side). Luckily UT has buses that run around a fair amount of the city. Bars vary in cost based upon where you go, I tend to like West 6th St. because you deal with less of the undergrads but drinks might be a $1 or 2 more. Let me know if y'all have any other questions.

Do you mean a one-bedroom apartment, or one bedroom within a multi-person apartment? I'd probably be looking to share.

I'm just wondering if, say, $17k per year is enough to live on? Including rent, food, transport etc...

Also - would you say it's essential to be able to drive in Austin? I can't drive, and doubt I could afford to buy/maintain a car!

Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated!

LN

Do you mean a one-bedroom apartment, or one bedroom within a multi-person apartment? I'd probably be looking to share.

I'm just wondering if, say, $17k per year is enough to live on? Including rent, food, transport etc...

Also - would you say it's essential to be able to drive in Austin? I can't drive, and doubt I could afford to buy/maintain a car!

Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated!

LN

I lived in Austin for 4 years as an undergraduate student and here are my inputs;

1. Buses are free for UT Austin students. I didn't have a car, but found buses pretty useful. A good network with good frequency (in most areas).

2. 17k is more than enough ( depending on your lifestyle though).

3. If you don't have a car, living on Riverside(distant affordable housing) makes no sense. The best bet would be something in the north campus area. West campus is where all the party scene is with all the greek houses etc. Although you can live there, I think it will be tad disturbing to your grad schedule. Keep in mind there are some exotic apartments that get leased out very soon in that area that give you the best of both worlds. Peaceful yet near the undergrad party scene. East is a ghetto and avoid at all costs.

I lived 3 years on North Campus ( not much of a party man), and found it satisfying as well as reasonably priced.

Feel free to ask any particular questions you might have.

I get by pretty well on around 18k a year. My friends who are TAs make it work at 14k a year, although finances are tight. If you're not absolutely set on living alone I would highly recommend sharing a house in Hyde Park or the east side with roommates. A lot of the cheaper studios/1 bedroom apartments are in crummy drab buildings far from the city center, whereas for $400-500 a month you can live in a really nice big house a few blocks from campus.

Also, don't listen to people who say the east side is "the ghetto." After living here for a year and a half I've come to conclude that such attitudes are just snobbery, pure and simple, perhaps with a little sprinkling of racism. The bad part of the east side is literally a two block stretch of one street. The rest is fine. Most of my favorite spots in Austin are on the east side.

Also, good luck! Austin is a great place to live.

Also, don't listen to people who say the east side is "the ghetto." After living here for a year and a half I've come to conclude that such attitudes are just snobbery, pure and simple, perhaps with a little sprinkling of racism. The bad part of the east side is literally a two block stretch of one street. The rest is fine. Most of my favorite spots in Austin are on the east side.

Um maybe I said the east side is ghetto because I have had friends get their apartments and cars broken into multiple time and oh yeah two of the ten that I know have also been mugged. So I'm basing my judgement off of reality, not snobbery or racism. I'm also not saying that there are not nice places on the east side (which is a hell of a lot larger than just a two block stretch), it is just not as safe as other parts of Austin.

Um maybe I said the east side is ghetto because I have had friends get their apartments and cars broken into multiple time and oh yeah two of the ten that I know have also been mugged. So I'm basing my judgement off of reality, not snobbery or racism. I'm also not saying that there are not nice places on the east side (which is a hell of a lot larger than just a two block stretch), it is just not as safe as other parts of Austin.

do the multiple homicides, robberies and break ins in west campus mean that its "ghetto" too?

Not developed enough + much inferior bus network + unkempt houses + less places to eat out + economically downtrodden (being on the other side of the I -35) = Ghetto/Trashy in my dictionary

Not an ideal place for an international student to come in and settle the first year. That is what I wanted to imply.

No snobbery, no racism.

Edited by mathamathick