Hey all. I reached out to UCLA to see when we may expect to hear back. Got this:

Thank you for writing, I hope this finds you well.  The Department will submit its recommendations for PhD applications by the end of next week.  Official decisions and notifications will come from the Fielding School and UCLA Graduate Division.  Admitted candidates may expect emails from prospective advisors inviting them to meet further by phone, Skype, or in person.”

This is from the EPI department. So I wonder if I don’t get an interview request that is probably a big fat “no” :o:rolleyes:

On 1/18/2018 at 10:09 PM, linnbear said:

Hmm thanks for sharing! I am wondering if they review what they deem to be "weaker" applicants later and then send rejections late on. I hope this isn't the case. It's only mid January so I guess I should not panic yet. Besides a generic rejection email from Emory, I haven't heard anything from the 8 programs I applied to :(. 

Hey don't sweat it! I also got that generic rejection from Emory, and haven't heard back from 9 schools. I'm thinking February will have a ton of activity. I found that reading that book Inside Graduate Admissions was somewhat pacifying and took my mind off the waiting. Even though they didn't look at public health programs, the findings were quite interesting. A lot of hair-splitting and seemingly arbitrary decisions in choosing applicants!

1 hour ago, EpiNYC said:

Hey all. I reached out to UCLA to see when we may expect to hear back. Got this:

Thank you for writing, I hope this finds you well.  The Department will submit its recommendations for PhD applications by the end of next week.  Official decisions and notifications will come from the Fielding School and UCLA Graduate Division.  Admitted candidates may expect emails from prospective advisors inviting them to meet further by phone, Skype, or in person.”

This is from the EPI department. So I wonder if I don’t get an interview request that is probably a big fat “no” :o:rolleyes:

I'm also Epi and I haven't heard a peep from them either.. besides several emails telling me they couldn't find (but they found it again.. oh but they didn't again.. oh but they found it again) my supplemental app the past 1-2 weeks. That itself has been making really really nervous. -_-

Edited by linnbear

25 minutes ago, pbcup said:

Got an email from UW Epi!! Check your emails guys. 

Just got my acceptance email too!!! Accepted at Pitt Epi last week too. Finding it challenging to understand funding for most schools...anyone have some clarity on that and/or feeling similarly confused? 

4 minutes ago, eeeeerin89 said:

Just got my acceptance email too!!! Accepted at Pitt Epi last week too. Finding it challenging to understand funding for most schools...anyone have some clarity on that and/or feeling similarly confused? 

Was it a batch email or from your POI?

5 minutes ago, redroses310 said:

Was it a batch email or from your POI?

It was a batch email. For me, it was good news - though nothing about funding yet. I'm not sure whether I'd go without funding, and everyone I reached out to during the application process didn't respond...

35 minutes ago, eeeeerin89 said:

From my understanding of the UW funding structure, almost all students are generally in charge of getting their funding - whether that's through TA-ing, RA-ing, or outside work. I personally find that so stressful, but UW is such a great program and the research really align with my interests.

Edited by pbcup

27 minutes ago, EpiNYC said:

Just got my first official rejection. Univ of Washington. One down, seven more to go. 

Same- it sucks, but I did visit Seattle and didn't feel the vibe of the city, so that's a thing that's kept me from being super bummed. At least the rest of the decisions seem to be trickling out!!

Three rejections already (including UW this morning). But congratulations to those accepted!

All my 3 rejection letters saying the inability to offer me admission was due to limited program space, which makes me wonder if funding is getting smaller and smaller.

Just got an email from Harvard's PHS  program asking me to do a second Skype interview with a different individual the day after my first interview next week. The way I'm looking at it, it's double the opportunity to impress and find out more in-depth details about the program and individual research interests. 

Has anyone else who applied to Harvard's PHS program had a similar request? 

Edited by ianmleavitt

1 hour ago, ianmleavitt said:

Just got an email from Harvard's PHS  program asking me to do a second Skype interview with a different individual the day after my first interview next week. The way I'm looking at it, it's double the opportunity to impress and find out more in-depth details about the program and individual research interests. 

That's awesome! I applied to this program but a different track and I've had one Skype interview. Just curious, are both of your Skype interviews with POIs? Or faculty in the department that are not your POIs, but likely on the Admissions Committee? 

Good luck with your interviews!

2 minutes ago, geneticepid2018 said:

Anybody applied JHU Epi PhD heard from them yet? I saw some interview request posted but I haven't heard any news.

I also applied to this program and have not heard anything. Do you know if they interview all their top candidates?

Same here! Two interviews, one with one of my POIs.

6 minutes ago, 00ber said:

That's awesome! I applied to this program but a different track and I've had one Skype interview. Just curious, are both of your Skype interviews with POIs? Or faculty in the department that are not your POIs, but likely on the Admissions Committee? 

Good luck with your interviews!

One is with a POI I identified in my SOP. The other has research interests that are moderately in line with my own, but is not somebody I had previously identified.

3 minutes ago, pkv said:

Same here! Two interviews, one with one of my POIs.

Glad I'm not the only one!

Skype interview request just came through for the Social and Behavioral Sciences in Public Health program at George Washington University. 3 interviews over 5 days should prove fun!

Now just waiting to hear anything at all from UNC's Health Behavior program...

Skype interview request just came through for the Social and Behavioral Sciences in Public Health program at George Washington University. 3 interviews over 5 days should prove fun!

Now just waiting to hear anything at all from UNC's Health Behavior program...

If I don't get in the only school I applied to, I might need your help with my sop for next cycle. :( Good luck with all those interviews!!!

Which one is your top choice!?