46 minutes ago, 00ber said:

I JUST GOT MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!! The relief is extreme! UNC epidemiology PhD with my first choice of advisor :D

Good luck to everyone! I think several programs will be delivering decisions this week. 

Did you receive an email notification or did you check the website?

19 minutes ago, person122 said:

Yeah, that's my feeling too :/ I just wish they'd hurry up and decide already!

I applied to Social/Behavioral Science.

I agree with @west_k, it really depends on the program. Getting an interview is great though!

44 minutes ago, linnbear said:

My decision was posted in MyPath for JHU (Epi). I did not get an e-mail notification. It seems like a lot of people's decisions are up. 

Rejected: Emory, JHU

Heard nothing from: BU, Brown, UNC, Columbia, Berkeley, UCLA

I'm definitely feeling disappointed with myself. I knew I wasn't the "perfect" applicant with the best numbers or publications, but I thought I would at least get a few interviews and 1 acceptance. It's looking I'm on the path for 8/8 rejections. 

Chin up @linnbear. You've still got 6 to go :) 

54 minutes ago, linnbear said:

Congratulations! Did you interview? I haven't heard anything from them since I applied, so I'm assuming it's a dragged out rejection :(. 

No, I didn't have an interview. So if you haven't heard anything, it doesn't necessarily mean you've been rejected! Good luck!

On 2/10/2018 at 10:13 PM, emjayco said:

I had contacted the department regarding if interview requests had gone out when I saw the mass amount of interviews on the survey (around mid January), but they said that department had not started reviewing yet. The report was that they would begin the following week. That was on January 23rd, so my anxiety is rising but here's hoping?

Ah, that’s right — I recall you (or someone) posting an update to that effect sometime. Thanks! I definitely feel your riding anxiety but am trying to stay hopeful. Maybe this will be the week!!

1 hour ago, linnbear said:

My decision was posted in MyPath for JHU (Epi). I did not get an e-mail notification. It seems like a lot of people's decisions are up. 

Rejected: Emory, JHU

Heard nothing from: BU, Brown, UNC, Columbia, Berkeley, UCLA

I'm definitely feeling disappointed with myself. I knew I wasn't the "perfect" applicant with the best numbers or publications, but I thought I would at least get a few interviews and 1 acceptance. It's looking I'm on the path for 8/8 rejections. 

Don't worry,  you still have 6 potential acceptances! Stay optimistic!

2 hours ago, CatDog1122 said:

Does anyone else have trouble wjith the JHU web portal? Half the time I see a login option and half the time I don’t. 

Are you going to mypath.jhsph.edu or to your customized portal directly? When I go to the main mypath.jhsph.edu site, I have to enter my email and then tab over to the next box, and then it redirects to my page. Once on my custom page, I'm only asked for a password when I navigate to my application checklists. Does that help at all?

7 hours ago, kma19 said:

Ah, that’s right — I recall you (or someone) posting an update to that effect sometime. Thanks! I definitely feel your riding anxiety but am trying to stay hopeful. Maybe this will be the week!!

Yes yes, that was me! I have half a mind to call again tomorrow but I know I am just being impatient.

On 2/11/2018 at 1:47 PM, pkv said:

Haven't heard back from JHU/HBS either... Before I sent my application (early November), I talked to a current student who [I think] said she had been interviewed there before she was accepted.

Maybe they don't interview everyone or they changed their process this year. 

Or maybe people are being/have been interviewed already and we just didn't make it :) lol

JHU HBS has a lot going on. The HoD is leaving to be dean at Albany...same as 1/2 other professors. Might explain why they're slow with the review process. 

11 hours ago, west_k said:

how long ago was recruitment day? did they give you a sense of when decisions would go out? It seems to be 3-4 weeks for the programs I applied to, so hopefully that's soon for you!

Recruitment day was today for all departments. They said decisions would be out by the end of next week.

8 hours ago, kma19 said:

Are you going to mypath.jhsph.edu or to your customized portal directly? When I go to the main mypath.jhsph.edu site, I have to enter my email and then tab over to the next box, and then it redirects to my page. Once on my custom page, I'm only asked for a password when I navigate to my application checklists. Does that help at all?

Yeah, it seems more like a technology problem. I use the same link every time. Half the time it works, half the time it doesn’t. Thanks though! :)

Hi,

I've been quiet on this board but lurking.  Anyway, I have an interview this Friday with UW-Milwaukee (I think I am the only person on this board who applied there) and was looking for any interview advice (dos/donts, typical questions, things you wish you had known before your interview).  I am scheduled for 90 minutes with 3 different professors (30 minutes each) via Skype...so kinda anxious!

Also, I noticed Columbia's Sociomedical Sciences has been sending out decisions (rejections) since last Friday at least.  I am wondering if anyone here wants to claim those and if so, which sub-specialty did you apply under?  I am hoping to get in under the Sociology umbrella.  Also not so patiently awaiting word from JHU Health, Behavior & Society!

12 minutes ago, Pennk said:

Hi,

I've been quiet on this board but lurking.  Anyway, I have an interview this Friday with UW-Milwaukee (I think I am the only person on this board who applied there) and was looking for any interview advice (dos/donts, typical questions, things you wish you had known before your interview).  I am scheduled for 90 minutes with 3 different professors (30 minutes each) via Skype...so kinda anxious!

Also, I noticed Columbia's Sociomedical Sciences has been sending out decisions (rejections) since last Friday at least.  I am wondering if anyone here wants to claim those and if so, which sub-specialty did you apply under?  I am hoping to get in under the Sociology umbrella.  Also not so patiently awaiting word from JHU Health, Behavior & Society!

Congrats on the interview! Good luck!

I'm not sure what "typical" questions are, but I can tell you the ones I've gotten. I also applied to social/behavioral programs.

1. What do you think will be the most challenging part of pursuing a PhD for you?
  2. What are you looking to learn in the program?
  3. Is there a specific methodology you're interested in?
  4. What are you research interests?
  5. List a few research questions
  6. What are some structural barriers related to your research interests that you can identify?
  7. If you could do your dissertation tomorrow what would your question be and why?
  8. Design your dissertation survey/intervention- What methodology would you use?
  9. What type of intervention would you do to address issues you've identified?

I also always have two groups of questions on hand. One group about the program itself and another related to POIs interests and past research. I've had good response to the questions "what makes a doctoral student successful in your program?" and "what is something unique to your program I can't find on your website?". Also- always ask about funding! One of my interviews it was my last question and the interviewer goes: "I always think something is off when students don't ask about funding."

8 minutes ago, west_k said:

Congrats on the interview! Good luck!

I'm not sure what "typical" questions are, but I can tell you the ones I've gotten. I also applied to social/behavioral programs.

1. What do you think will be the most challenging part of pursuing a PhD for you?
  2. What are you looking to learn in the program?
  3. Is there a specific methodology you're interested in?
  4. What are you research interests?
  5. List a few research questions
  6. What are some structural barriers related to your research interests that you can identify?
  7. If you could do your dissertation tomorrow what would your question be and why?
  8. Design your dissertation survey/intervention- What methodology would you use?
  9. What type of intervention would you do to address issues you've identified?

I also always have two groups of questions on hand. One group about the program itself and another related to POIs interests and past research. I've had good response to the questions "what makes a doctoral student successful in your program?" and "what is something unique to your program I can't find on your website?". Also- always ask about funding! One of my interviews it was my last question and the interviewer goes: "I always think something is off when students don't ask about funding."

Thanks! I will definitely come up with some easily retrievable answers to some of the questions above.  Also, thanks for the ideas for questions.  I always find that is the most difficult part for me and I will definitely ask about funding!

On 2/12/2018 at 10:32 AM, person122 said:

Yeah, that's my feeling too :/ I just wish they'd hurry up and decide already!

I applied to Social/Behavioral Science.

I have some figures this year... CDE has 6 or 7 interviewees and 2 slots (unfortunately 1 is sponsored by a faculty and he/she already has someone in mind). EHS has 7 interviewees and 2 slots. EMD has 6 interviewees and 4 slots. BIS has 7 interviewees and 2 or 3 slots (1 or 2 slots are sponsored by faculties so they may have someone in mind). SBS has 3 interviewees and 2 slots. So.... maybe EHS is the most competitive program...

16 hours ago, jr_tnd said:

JHU HBS has a lot going on. The HoD is leaving to be dean at Albany...same as 1/2 other professors. Might explain why they're slow with the review process. 

Thank you for this. Helps explain the lag, but also has me concerned for the department..