42 minutes ago, epi111 said:

Sorry, I just meant for UNC. Storm_jonas, do applicants (potential incoming students) have to apply separately for the T32 grants or is any admitted student considered? Thanks!

From my experience there's an online form to fill out after you are admitted. A faculty member told me I was recommended for a T32 slot and just had to fill out the form. Not sure when/how we'll be notified.

2 hours ago, epi111 said:

Sorry, I just meant for UNC. Storm_jonas, do applicants (potential incoming students) have to apply separately for the T32 grants or is any admitted student considered? Thanks!

2 hours ago, storm_jonas said:

From my experience there's an online form to fill out after you are admitted. A faculty member told me I was recommended for a T32 slot and just had to fill out the form. Not sure when/how we'll be notified.

I knew that this was one of UNC's funding options, but I feel like at least a few of us haven't even heard back about an admissions decision. I guess since this option isn't for everyone, UNC could still admit some of us later...

45 minutes ago, eek_ said:

It's only March 2nd!

The only program i’m waiting on now is Rutgers. 6/7 rejections so far. But surprisingly not crazily bummed. A good friend of mine in another field, applied to PhD programs 3 times. The last cycle she got an 8-year full funding package at an Ivy League! It was her dream program. So I like to think that things work out for a reason, and if you fail the first and even second time (like me) you try again, if this is something you really want! :) 

1 hour ago, EpiNYC said:

The only program i’m waiting on now is Rutgers. 6/7 rejections so far. But surprisingly not crazily bummed. A good friend of mine in another field, applied to PhD programs 3 times. The last cycle she got an 8-year full funding package at an Ivy League! It was her dream program. So I like to think that things work out for a reason, and if you fail the first and even second time (like me) you try again, if this is something you really want! :) 

Good for your friend! But 8 years for a Phd?!? Is that a thing? I'm expecting(hoping) to complete mine within 4-maybe 5 at the most!

14 minutes ago, eek_ said:

Good for your friend! But 8 years for a Phd?!? Is that a thing? I'm expecting(hoping) to complete mine within 4-maybe 5 at the most!

Hahaha - Like I said, different field. More in the humanities, where a longer timeline is expected. Most PBH/Epi Phd programs seem to be aiming to get their doctoral students out by 4 years. I remember when talking to a few programs they said if you needed to, you could petition for a fifth year if you needed to collect more data, and they would fund the fifth year if the petition was accepted. Others said it could even be feasible to do it in 3 years, if you play your cards right. I know in the UK most of the PhD programs are 3 years.

Edited by EpiNYC

2 hours ago, hccgrl said:

I'm just waiting for an official denial so I can move on with life.. 

I was on campus last week shadowing a faculty member for work related business and found out at the end of the day that the faculty I was with allllll day is married to the chair of the department I applied to (different last names). Both my bf and I got the vibe when we ran into them later that day that I did not get in. That night I was invited to a film screening by a current student from the dept I applied to (and have been in contact with since apha) and I got the same vibe. Granted... I applied to a program that only accepts 2-4 new students. So I knew it was extremely competitive. 

2 hours ago, Pubhealth101 said:

Quick question - has everyone heard from Columbia's Sociomedical Sciences department? I'm still waiting and I was hoping to find out soon. Do you know how many students they will be accepting? 

I was rejected on 2/27 with a link to the portal. 

4 hours ago, hccgrl said:

I was on campus last week shadowing a faculty member for work related business and found out at the end of the day that the faculty I was with allllll day is married to the chair of the department I applied to (different last names). Both my bf and I got the vibe when we ran into them later that day that I did not get in. That night I was invited to a film screening by a current student from the dept I applied to (and have been in contact with since apha) and I got the same vibe. Granted... I applied to a program that only accepts 2-4 new students. So I knew it was extremely competitive. 

Have you contacted them recently (like within the last two weeks) to see if there was a status update? 

4 hours ago, FrozenFreshMeat said:

I realized that most of the schools begin their spring break next or the following week. Means that we don't anticipate communications from them?

I don't think so-not necessarily anyway. Schools (i.e. administrations and faculty) are generally still working when spring or summer break is going on. You can pretty much expect not to hear anything from December 23rd-January 2nd, but outside those dates & MLK Day, President's Day & MAYBE Easter Monday I think anything goes!

14 hours ago, jjyyg said:

I was rejected on 2/27 with a link to the portal. 

Did they also send out acceptance as well? I called admissions but they said it depends on when you submitted your application. My application was completed 12/4 so i'm still confused why I haven't heard anything yet. 

15 hours ago, Pubhealth101 said:

Did they also send out acceptance as well? I called admissions but they said it depends on when you submitted your application. My application was completed 12/4 so i'm still confused why I haven't heard anything yet. 

I did see some accrptances to the PhD in SMS. Given that the rejections have gone out as well, if you havent heard anything it's possible you are on the waitlist. sometimes they wait a certain period after the first accepters to see if anyone says no. then they start informing the waitlisters.

Has anyone applied to the Joint Doctoral Program in Public Health at UCSD-SDSU? I've written to both admissions coordinators but have heard nothing. This program may also take longer since it involves two institutions. Anyone else apply to this and have any updates or thoughts?

4 hours ago, PhMe said:

Has anyone applied to the Joint Doctoral Program in Public Health at UCSD-SDSU? I've written to both admissions coordinators but have heard nothing. This program may also take longer since it involves two institutions. Anyone else apply to this and have any updates or thoughts?

Hey! I have applied to  JDP-Global health at UCSD-SDSU. I spoke to my potential mentor last week. SDSU was supposed to be done with their fellowship decisions last Friday. Not sure about UCSD though! I am expecting to hear back by this week! Fingers crossed!!

13 minutes ago, ghint said:

Hey! I have applied to  JDP-Global health at UCSD-SDSU. I spoke to my potential mentor last week. SDSU was supposed to be done with their fellowship decisions last Friday. Not sure about UCSD though! I am expecting to hear back by this week! Fingers crossed!!

Yes for sure! That's a good idea; let me contact my POI. I do hope they get back to us soon!