16 minutes ago, eek_ said:

No. I don't think programs should even offer this option to be honest.

I agree, you shouldn't have to pay your own way to do research. But what about programs like University of Washington  where you can get funding, but it's not guaranteed? Thoughts on choosing a place like UW over another fully-funded program that's not as strong?

1 hour ago, CatDog1122 said:

Is anyone considering a PhD without funding?

Yes, at Tulane.  I feel like there is funding for a living stipend and for research post coursework, the only thing they cant cover through research assistantships is the tuition for coursework.  It's tempting but I hate the idea of having more loans.

2 hours ago, epiepiepi said:

I agree, you shouldn't have to pay your own way to do research. But what about programs like University of Washington  where you can get funding, but it's not guaranteed? Thoughts on choosing a place like UW over another fully-funded program that's not as strong?

I am struggling with this. I also got into UW without funding. I was blindsided by it. Thought I would go to UW but now I don't know. 

2 hours ago, epiepiepi said:

I'm not familiar with UW's program so can't really speak to it. I think personally, that would make me anxious-unless I knew that the whole thing is more or less a formality and everyone eventually gets funding? UW is a great school-I imagine they wouldn't let many students go unfunded?

On 3/15/2018 at 1:41 AM, 2018HopesDwindling said:

Anyone struggling to make a final decision? Anyone make a decision? Another form of anxiety, ugh

Yup, I made a decision. I got accepted to 5 programs, and chose GWU based on faculty research fit and the fact that they provided full funding. Paid the deposit, created the email address, etc. It feels like a huge relief, after so much waiting and deliberation. Tulane was one I wish I hadn't applied to. I got in, but they offer absolutely NO funding, and I'm an international student which disqualifies me from any NIH grants. 

On 3/15/2018 at 11:41 AM, rosemary__ said:

Still waiting on Michigan HSOP :( I feel your pain. Any idea when Michigan will officially notify every one of rejections and waitlists?

You may be on the waitlist. Doctoral day was last week and they have not released funding packages yet. I assume once they are release there will be some movement but I believe we are all still waiting on that information. Keep hope alive!

Still no word on funding from UNC. I'm pretty sure I'm going to accept their offer, but I don't want to commit without some idea how of financials will work out. Anyone else in the same point boat? I sent in information for the T32 (due March 1) but no word on when decisions might be made.

3 hours ago, PhMe said:

Yup, I made a decision. I got accepted to 5 programs, and chose GWU based on faculty research fit and the fact that they provided full funding. Paid the deposit, created the email address, etc. It feels like a huge relief, after so much waiting and deliberation. Tulane was one I wish I hadn't applied to. I got in, but they offer absolutely NO funding, and I'm an international student which disqualifies me from any NIH grants. 

Congrats on GWU!  I get the Tulane frustration.  I know they have like 2 scholarships available to fund students. But it would help if they told you when they make the scholarship announcement.  Now I'm just in limbo.

4 hours ago, eek_ said:

I'm not familiar with UW's program so can't really speak to it. I think personally, that would make me anxious-unless I knew that the whole thing is more or less a formality and everyone eventually gets funding? UW is a great school-I imagine they wouldn't let many students go unfunded?

As far I know, some EPI PhD students have to pay for tuition and insurance some time (not all the time during their PhD) by themselves. Especially for international students, funding opportunities are very limited. 

3 hours ago, PhMe said:

Same thing. As an international student, secured full funding is my TOP 1 reason to choose a school and a program.

I think PhD is a job to work for professors. If I work for somebody and I still have to pay for it by myself, I don't want to do that.

5 minutes ago, Chengjianning said:

Same thing. As an international student, secured full funding is my TOP 1 reason to choose a school and a program.

I think PhD is a job to work for professors. If I work for somebody and I still have to pay for it by myself, I don't want to do that.

8 minutes ago, Chengjianning said:

As far I know, some EPI PhD students have to pay for tuition and insurance some time (not all the time during their PhD) by themselves. Especially for international students, funding opportunities are very limited. 

I'm actually also international, and also got into UW where I need to secure funding for myself. Sorry for the ignorance, but aside from international student's being not eligible for NIH training grants, what other limitations do we have on funding? Can we not be on RA-ships when the funding is from federal funding mechanisms? Can we TA? Does it depend on the school?

Thanks guys, obviously a little clueless here. :/ 

17 hours ago, pbcup said:

I'm actually also international, and also got into UW where I need to secure funding for myself. Sorry for the ignorance, but aside from international student's being not eligible for NIH training grants, what other limitations do we have on funding? Can we not be on RA-ships when the funding is from federal funding mechanisms? Can we TA? Does it depend on the school?

Thanks guys, obviously a little clueless here. :/ 

Don't be sorry; these are really important questions! From my own experience hunting for this information, there is no straight answer. Some federal funding mechanisms do not have a citizenship requirement, while others (like the T-32 grant) are restricted to US citizens and permanent residents. check out this page: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/who-is-eligible.htm

What I've found is that our best bet is to be funded through either scholarships or RA/TAships offered by the department or the institution. In some instances, the school will offer a tuition remission for in-state tuition, and if you are lucky, for out-of-state tuition, and then try to match you with a faculty member who has a grant which can cover you for a stipend and health insurance. There are also external scholarships/funding sources which a number of schools have links to. I have not had much success with these as they quite often have very specific eligibility requirements, but always something to look into to, whether you receive full funding or not in case you are eligible for them. I was told by a PI to look into getting funding from FHI360 and RTI (I didn't find it), while I've looked at the Agha Khan foundation 50% loan/50% grant program as well. If you find yourself eligible to apply for certain external funding opportunities, go for them!

Also, some university systems see us as cash cows, and getting funding there is difficult (as I have personally experienced): http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-edu-uc-regents-tuition-20180315-story.html

All in all, I would say that maintaining communication with your POI and admissions coordinators are the key to knowing about what funding is available because they will likely be privileged with more insider information than we would.

Let me know your findings! good luck!

5 hours ago, PhMe said:

Don't be sorry; these are really important questions! From my own experience hunting for this information, there is no straight answer. Some federal funding mechanisms do not have a citizenship requirement, while others (like the T-32 grant) are restricted to US citizens and permanent residents. check out this page: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/who-is-eligible.htm

What I've found is that our best bet is to be funded through either scholarships or RA/TAships offered by the department or the institution. In some instances, the school will offer a tuition remission for in-state tuition, and if you are lucky, for out-of-state tuition, and then try to match you with a faculty member who has a grant which can cover you for a stipend and health insurance. There are also external scholarships/funding sources which a number of schools have links to. I have not had much success with these as they quite often have very specific eligibility requirements, but always something to look into to, whether you receive full funding or not in case you are eligible for them. I was told by a PI to look into getting funding from FHI360 and RTI (I didn't find it), while I've looked at the Agha Khan foundation 50% loan/50% grant program as well. If you find yourself eligible to apply for certain external funding opportunities, go for them!

Also, some university systems see us as cash cows, and getting funding there is difficult (as I have personally experienced): http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-edu-uc-regents-tuition-20180315-story.html

All in all, I would say that maintaining communication with your POI and admissions coordinators are the key to knowing about what funding is available because they will likely be privileged with more insider information than we would.

Let me know your findings! good luck!

Thank you so much! I have definitely not thought this through. This is super helpful. Thanks!

I know there have been newer ppl commenting on this thread, so just wondering if any of you know anything regarding University of Maryland's maternal child health program (going the person that posted on results page last month sees this!). 

40 minutes ago, eek_ said:

YAY I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!

Thank you!!! Whether or not I get in, I'm just glad they were able to overlook my horrible GRE scores and look at my application as a whole. 

Quick question for anyone willing to answer, so in the email it said that I will be interwing with him and 2 other faculty . I haven't replied to the email yet cuz I'm way too excited, but would you think it's appropriate to ask for the name of the two other faculty? I was thinking if wording  it like so, "To better prepare for my interview, I was wondering if it's possible to know the names of the other two faculty." 

Anythoughts ? 

29 minutes ago, hccgrl said:

Thank you!!! Whether or not I get in, I'm just glad they were able to overlook my horrible GRE scores and look at my application as a whole. 

Quick question for anyone willing to answer, so in the email it said that I will be interwing with him and 2 other faculty . I haven't replied to the email yet cuz I'm way too excited, but would you think it's appropriate to ask for the name of the two other faculty? I was thinking if wording  it like so, "To better prepare for my interview, I was wondering if it's possible to know the names of the other two faculty." 

Anythoughts ? 

Yeah I think that's fine.

I'm out at NYU (whatever the general public health thread was).  That's my application cycle done-zo!  I'm in at 3 out of the 8 schools I applied for.  One with guaranteed funding and two with funding I am waiting to hear back about!

1. U of Memphis - full funding for 3 years

2. U of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - interviewed for funding for first year

3. UT Health - I applied for a fellowship that would cover 4 years

1 hour ago, Pennk said:

I'm out at NYU (whatever the general public health thread was).  That's my application cycle done-zo!  I'm in at 3 out of the 8 schools I applied for.  One with guaranteed funding and two with funding I am waiting to hear back about!

1. U of Memphis - full funding for 3 years

2. U of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - interviewed for funding for first year

3. UT Health - I applied for a fellowship that would cover 4 years

Full funding is great! Congrats on a successful cycle! :) 

I contacted the schools I am no longer considering to let them know I wouldn't be attending. I got an email from one of the department chairs basically asking why I chose the program I did and what their program could have done to be more attractive.

Has anyone else received an email like this? Any advice on responding? I don't want to sound rude, but essentially this program was one of my safeties. It's near where my parents live so I also considered it a sort of "geographical" safety, as in I could live at home for cheap/free if funding wasn't great.

13 minutes ago, gallimimus said:

I contacted the schools I am no longer considering to let them know I wouldn't be attending. I got an email from one of the department chairs basically asking why I chose the program I did and what their program could have done to be more attractive.

Has anyone else received an email like this? Any advice on responding? I don't want to sound rude, but essentially this program was one of my safeties. It's near where my parents live so I also considered it a sort of "geographical" safety, as in I could live at home for cheap/free if funding wasn't great.

I would focus on research fit or some other aspects that make the school a "safety." Your academic field might feel very small on the other side of the PhD, you might even want to apply for a job at the safety school, so it's in your best interest to provide cordial, useful feedback.