Jump to content

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, ceterisparibus9 said:

Thanks for the input. It appears that it's quite a mixed bag even within institutions whether or not they conduct them. One coordinator even said they go case-by-case. Ok well essentially to pin my second question down, I guess it would be: If no interview by now, given application to programs who've been documented here and elsewhere to have sent out invites for them, should that be viewed positively or negatively or is it still somehow too early to determine? 

 

I hope that clarifies my second question a bit. 

I also wonder whether 'no interview' equates to 'no admission'. It seems difficult to tell from the results survey page whether all candidates are interviewed prior to admissions, given that not everyone who applied will have uploaded their results/statuses (it would definitely be interesting to see how many candidates were accepted without interview, but we'll never know!). Also, as you say, institutions may go case-by-case in conducting interviews. So we'd probably be second-guessing, and as @west_k say if you really want to know probably best to check programme websites or contact the adcoms. However, I think things are pretty much out of our hands at this point... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jjj02027 said:

I also wonder whether 'no interview' equates to 'no admission'. It seems difficult to tell from the results survey page whether all candidates are interviewed prior to admissions, given that not everyone who applied will have uploaded their results/statuses (it would definitely be interesting to see how many candidates were accepted without interview, but we'll never know!). Also, as you say, institutions may go case-by-case in conducting interviews. So we'd probably be second-guessing, and as @west_k say if you really want to know probably best to check programme websites or contact the adcoms. However, I think things are pretty much out of our hands at this point... 

I am also wondering this and expecting the worst. I have heard nothing except for a rejection. I asked Berkeley if they conduct interviews for PH PhDs and I was told it was on a case by case bases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2018 at 9:48 AM, KAR30 said:

Has anyone had a second interview for Harvard PHS nutrition track? 

Have you had your first interview?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's to technology issues during Skype interviews!

Thankfully we worked it out, but never a fun moment (or two, in my case).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ianmleavitt said:

Here's to technology issues during Skype interviews!

Thankfully we worked it out, but never a fun moment (or two, in my case).

Ugh I had technology issues during my Skype with UNC!

Which schools did you suffer through it with? I'm sure it still went great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, epi_aspire said:

Has anyone heard from JHU-Epi?

I had an interview and it seems like others are also reporting interviews on the survey. Each track does their own evaluations and rankings (which are suppose to finish up next week) before things are sent to the full committee. Based on historical data points on the survey you probably shouldn't expect any word until mid-Feb. If you haven't heard about an interview just know that others have heard in late January and early Feb. in the past.

Edited by storm_jonas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, west_k said:

Ugh I had technology issues during my Skype with UNC!

Which schools did you suffer through it with? I'm sure it still went great!

It was my first one with Harvard this afternoon. Apparently, my microphone would just stop transmitting. Had to play the "hang up and call back" game a few times!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, storm_jonas said:

I had an interview and it seems like others are also reporting interviews on the survey. Each track does their own evaluations and rankings (which are suppose to finish up next week) before things are sent to the full committee. Based on historical data points on the survey you probably shouldn't expect any word until mid-Feb. If you haven't heard about an interview just know that others have heard in late January and early Feb. in the past.

Thanks so much for your nice message! I actually heard today about an interview. Was your interview with a POI or someone from the doctoral committee?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A rejection from Johns Hopkins Epi PhD.:( I hope everyone else who applied get better news than me!

Also, I hope everyone who had interviews this week aced it and get good news! Feel free to share with us on how it went.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, epi_aspire said:

Thanks so much for your nice message! I actually heard today about an interview. Was your interview with a POI or someone from the doctoral committee?  

Congrats! This is my second cycle applying. The first time it was someone random (which hinted towards where my chances stood) and this year it's a POI.

19 minutes ago, jjj02027 said:

A rejection from Johns Hopkins Epi PhD.:( I hope everyone else who applied get better news than me!

Also, I hope everyone who had interviews this week aced it and get good news! Feel free to share with us on how it went.

Bummer. Do you mind telling us which track and if you had an interview? It looks like a couple JHU rejections came in to according to the survey :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@storm_jonas it was for the epidemiology of aging track and I was not interviewed. I saw interviews for it go out, so the rejection was not all surprising.

Kudos to you for going through this a second time! I hope you don't mind if I pick your brains a bit later as I'm already mentally preparing myself for the next cycle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjj02027 said:

A rejection from Johns Hopkins Epi PhD.:( I hope everyone else who applied get better news than me!

Also, I hope everyone who had interviews this week aced it and get good news! Feel free to share with us on how it went.

I also received a rejection :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, storm_jonas said:

Congrats! This is my second cycle applying. The first time it was someone random (which hinted towards where my chances stood) and this year it's a POI.

Bummer. Do you mind telling us which track and if you had an interview? It looks like a couple JHU rejections came in to according to the survey :/

Thanks! Congrats to you too!!

Hmm interesting, I'm actually being interviewed by a group of faculty in my track of interest.

Edited by epi_aspire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mph2015 said:

I also received a rejection :( 

 

5 hours ago, jjj02027 said:

A rejection from Johns Hopkins Epi PhD.:( I hope everyone else who applied get better news than me!

Also, I hope everyone who had interviews this week aced it and get good news! Feel free to share with us on how it went.

I'm sorry to hear that, rejections suck, I was rejected by UW last week. Hang in there though, I hope you get some good news soon!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, storm_jonas said:

Congrats! This is my second cycle applying. The first time it was someone random (which hinted towards where my chances stood) and this year it's a POI.

Bummer. Do you mind telling us which track and if you had an interview? It looks like a couple JHU rejections came in to according to the survey :/

Stupid question: Which survey are you talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, west_k said:

Just got an email from Pitt Behavioral and Community Health PhD for a 30 minute phone interview! 

Congrats! I have applied for the PhD in epidemiology in Pitt, still waiting for their message!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, has anybody had any experience sending in updates? Is this even done in graduate school applications? I know it's done extensively for medical school, but can't find any info on PhD apps. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, pbcup said:

Hey guys, has anybody had any experience sending in updates? Is this even done in graduate school applications? I know it's done extensively for medical school, but can't find any info on PhD apps. Thanks!

What kind of updates? I haven't sent any myself but I've noticed for some of the schools that don't use SOPHAS, you can update some documents on the application status page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2018 at 6:00 PM, pbcup said:

Hey guys, has anybody had any experience sending in updates? Is this even done in graduate school applications? I know it's done extensively for medical school, but can't find any info on PhD apps. Thanks!

I recently had an additional paper placed under review for peer-reviewed publication. I simply emailed the graduate admissions coordinator for the department with an email explaining the update. I attached a more formal letter to the committee stating the update (in my case, paper title, journal, etc) and also attached an updated version of my CV.

All of the individuals who I emailed were prompt in response and were able to add the updated information to my application package. It was very simple and none of the admissions coordinators seemed to mind.

I hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone applied for FAFSA? I know there was debate earlier in the thread regarding whether or not doctoral students needed to apply. Did anyone figure that out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.