Applying for Fall 2018!

TheLeoLinguist

22 hours ago, linguistic said:

I was wondering, too! I haven't seen/heard anything yet.

5 hours ago, Pig With Wings said:

Hi!  Fellow Harvard Linguistics applicant here.  Does anyone know if they're sending out the interview invitations in waves?  I haven't received anything, so I'm assuming that I've already been rejected.  Stressful times...  Good luck to everyone else!    

I heard from them a few hours after I posted, but I wasn't told who's on the interviewing committee or how many there'd be -  I think the first poster was perhaps invited in a different email/method? Maybe informally? 

54 minutes ago, spreadglottis said:

Woah that's impressive. It definitely makes me wonder why my Berkeley rejection hasn't shown up yet lol

It definitely looks from the graph that Berkeley sends out the rejections first and then the acceptances a few days after ... Maybe you got in. :-)

3 hours ago, semling said:

It definitely looks from the graph that Berkeley sends out the rejections first and then the acceptances a few days after ... Maybe you got in. :-)

Haha no interview though. Don't worry, I can take it!

Hey! Has anyone heard from Michigan (Ann Arbor) about being rejected/waitlisted? As some people mentioned in the results section they were invited for interviews/open house etc, I figured they'd be sending out the rejections this week.

44 minutes ago, IA18 said:

Hey! Has anyone heard from Michigan (Ann Arbor) about being rejected/waitlisted? As some people mentioned in the results section they were invited for interviews/open house etc, I figured they'd be sending out the rejections this week.

I'm also still waiting and expecting rejection. :-)

11 hours ago, spreadglottis said:

Haha no interview though. Don't worry, I can take it!

Yeah, not a good sign.

On the graph, though, Berkeley has 14 interviews and 17 acceptances, so it could be they accept some people without interviewing. (Or it could be that the data is incomplete, hmm, which is more likely ...)

Luckily you still have lots of other good schools to hear back from. (I've noticed that I'm very much in the minority, having only applied to four programs, and currently questioning my life decisions...) Best of luck!

59 minutes ago, semling said:

Yeah, not a good sign.

On the graph, though, Berkeley has 14 interviews and 17 acceptances, so it could be they accept some people without interviewing. (Or it could be that the data is incomplete, hmm, which is more likely ...)

Luckily you still have lots of other good schools to hear back from. (I've noticed that I'm very much in the minority, having only applied to four programs, and currently questioning my life decisions...) Best of luck!

As long as every school in your list is a good fit I don't think that's a small amount at all! Realistically two of my schools were never going to happen so I pretty much only had a shot at four of them as well.

2 hours ago, semling said:

Yeah, not a good sign.

I also only applied to four thinking that that was normal! Today marks the end of my involvement in the application process, though - by which I mean no more interviews or writing or really anything else I can do. Just waiting for results now!  

4 hours ago, WatchfulWombat said:

I'm also still waiting and expecting rejection. :-)

What's your subfield? Waiting really annoys me haha If it's a rejection I would rather get it as soon as possible, so I sort of know where my life is heading...

How about UCLA or Amherst? Have you applied to any of them? I think they only make decisions between mid and late Feb, so that's gonna take a while... I'm also waiting to hear from Edinburgh and Cambridge. 

3 hours ago, semling said:

Yeah, not a good sign.

Fewer than 7 people got accepted to Berkeley (the rejection email said so). 6 people posted they got accepted on the results page, so I guess that's that: 6 people got in. They might be waiting to know whether they're taking or declining the offer, in which case they might get another round of interviews.

1 hour ago, IA18 said:

Fewer than 7 people got accepted to Berkeley (the rejection email said so). 6 people posted they got accepted on the results page, so I guess that's that: 6 people got in. They might be waiting to know whether they're taking or declining the offer, in which case they might get another round of interviews.

"Fewer than 7" seems like a really weird way to say "6", but whatevs, it's their letter ... Sorry to all the Berkeley applicants who didn't make it.

Edited by semling

7 hours ago, IA18 said:

How about UCLA or Amherst? Have you applied to any of them? I think they only make decisions between mid and late Feb, so that's gonna take a while... 

I applied to those two places too. Haven't heard anything. The wait is quite infuriating. Ugh.

Do any of you have an idea about the UMD process? I saw some interview invites but didn't receive any - guess I should get ready for that rejection. Or does it depend on POIs?

7 hours ago, Pain-ini said:

I applied to those two places too. Haven't heard anything. The wait is quite infuriating. Ugh.

Do any of you have an idea about the UMD process? I saw some interview invites but didn't receive any - guess I should get ready for that rejection. Or does it depend on POIs?

At this point I'm just confused as to how I can improve my applications next year, if I don't make this year. Some people have experience, publications, etc and they don't get in. Others don't have any of that and apparently that's why they don't get in. I guess it all comes down to the people in the department/admissions board and what they are looking for... 

As well, some places (like Berkeley) can offer 8 spots, but they only make 6 offers. Why? Do they say they have 8 spots so more people will apply? They only got 138 applications this year compared to 163 last year (that's approximately $2500 less for them). 

21 hours ago, IA18 said:

What's your subfield? Waiting really annoys me haha If it's a rejection I would rather get it as soon as possible, so I sort of know where my life is heading...

How about UCLA or Amherst? Have you applied to any of them? I think they only make decisions between mid and late Feb, so that's gonna take a while... I'm also waiting to hear from Edinburgh and Cambridge. 

I'm looking at historical syntax and morphology, and did not apply to UCLA or Amherst.. one of my professors has encouraged me to apply to Edinburgh, but I'm still on the fence, mostly because I think my chance of getting in would be even slimmer than where I applied now.

I feel fairly relaxed so far, but I know I will really want to succeed next year and am also thinking of ways I can become more competitive (without collecting debt).. I can definitely handle one cycle of all rejections, but not two.

2 hours ago, WatchfulWombat said:

I'm looking at historical syntax and morphology, and did not apply to UCLA or Amherst.. one of my professors has encouraged me to apply to Edinburgh, but I'm still on the fence, mostly because I think my chance of getting in would be even slimmer than where I applied now.

I feel fairly relaxed so far, but I know I will really want to succeed next year and am also thinking of ways I can become more competitive (without collecting debt).. I can definitely handle one cycle of all rejections, but not two.

I hear you. Same here.

I'm only applying to unis that didn't require the GRE test. It was so expensive (applying from England), I thought it wasn't worth it. In the end I regretted it, because I could have applied to other unis with amazing programmes in my field like U Florida, Southern California, Hawaii, NYU, among others. They also have great funding opportunities. Oh well, live and learn.

Good luck to you (hope you get it this year) and I'll make sure to post here whenever I hear from UMich ;) 

OMG, someone just posted on the survey that they got an acceptance email from Yale Linguistics yesterday! (And it wasn't me, sad face.)

I haven't heard anything yet ... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaih!

please send me an email please send me an email please send me an email ....

24 minutes ago, SoRim said:

has anyone heard from UPenn or Stanford at all? I haven't seen anything on the results, but I just want to make sure

I saw some interview posts for UPenn around January 17th (and I didn't receive one), but haven't seen anything since.

On 1/29/2018 at 3:17 PM, semling said:

OMG, someone just posted on the survey that they got an acceptance email from Yale Linguistics yesterday! (And it wasn't me, sad face.)

I haven't heard anything yet ... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaih!

please send me an email please send me an email please send me an email ....

Well, I got an email, but it wasn’t the one I wanted. Rejected. :-(

But, hey, it’s their loss. Not only am I a kick-ass scholar, but I bake. See this Rosemary Pecorino Star Bread?

None for you, Yale.

F5C6D2E6-9855-4FE0-91E0-24B8825FC5E1.jpeg

Edited by semling

6 hours ago, snorlax82 said:

I saw some interview posts for UPenn around January 17th (and I didn't receive one), but haven't seen anything since.

Ok cool, thanks! I'll keep an eye out, im stressssed