PhD Applications Fall '18 Season

Epaphroditus

22 hours ago, xypathos said:

Any thoughts on the reputation of Radboud University (Netherlands)? I submitted a late (by US standards) application after looking over the website and being assured by a prof there that they have generous scholarships specifically for US students. As well, should you not get it their annual tuition is cheaper than a 3-credit course at most colleges.

Well, I found out was I accepted and extended a stipend of 25k euro, so just over 30k USD. The university has extended an offer for housing at 750 euro a month which seems reasonable.

Teaching in the US would be ideal but I don't "have to." Going abroad for a while seems really tempting too. It's stay at Villanova, FSU, or Radboud for the time being.

It's a good university in general. I imagine it depends on your specialty and who you'd work with whether it would be the best choice for you. 

My rejection letter was up on Georgetown's website this morning. I didn't receive an email to check it or anything. I will be at CUA in the fall, so if anyone will be in DC come fall feel free to message me. Good luck all!!

1 hour ago, sjca14 said:

My rejection letter was up on Georgetown's website this morning. I didn't receive an email to check it or anything. I will be at CUA in the fall, so if anyone will be in DC come fall feel free to message me. Good luck all!!

My rejection was posted this morning, too. No email.

3 hours ago, Averroes MD said:

No, I don't think so, although Georgetown was high up on my list...

Wish you all the best wherever you end up. I also got wait listed at Gtown and its my last chance for this cycle. Trying to not to get hopes up too much. It's been a rough few months. 

1 hour ago, rmcf said:

Wish you all the best wherever you end up. I also got wait listed at Gtown and its my last chance for this cycle. Trying to not to get hopes up too much. It's been a rough few months. 

So I have a suspicion that gtown often goes into its waitlist. I wonder if it’s worthwhile for you to email them and reiterate your interest. Maybe that would move you up on the waitlist. Just guessing though. Good luck! 

I struck out last year and succeeded at my top choice this year, so there is always hope for next year in case Gtown doesn’t pan out. But I hope it will for you. 

Edited by Averroes MD

On 3/21/2018 at 12:06 AM, Averroes MD said:

So I have a suspicion that gtown often goes into its waitlist. I wonder if it’s worthwhile for you to email them and reiterate your interest. Maybe that would move you up on the waitlist. Just guessing though. Good luck! 

I struck out last year and succeeded at my top choice this year, so there is always hope for next year in case Gtown doesn’t pan out. But I hope it will for you. 

I am going batty because I have not heard back from Georgetown in any way. No rejection, waitlist, or letter (theological & religious studies). Same old portal confirmation message every time. As this is my first cycle, I don’t really know what to make of that. Does this mean I’m accepted? Does this mean they will send a second round of rejections or waitlists soon? Do schools even do that? Has anyone else been accepted or heard anything else?

For those still waiting on Saint Louis, I received an email to check the application portal for my letter yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately for me it was a rejection letter, but perhaps some of you will have happier discoveries.

Edited by Shmandy

12 hours ago, YoGramma said:

I am going batty because I have not heard back from Georgetown in any way. No rejection, waitlist, or letter (theological & religious studies). Same old portal confirmation message every time. As this is my first cycle, I don’t really know what to make of that. Does this mean I’m accepted? Does this mean they will send a second round of rejections or waitlists soon? Do schools even do that? Has anyone else been accepted or heard anything else?

I would definitely contact them. It's almost April. You deserve to know by now. Also, if it helps the letter of acceptance/ rejection is all the way at the bottom of the portal once you log into it, so you have to scroll down otherwise it looks exactly the same and like they haven't updated it. I hope you get good news!

11 hours ago, Shmandy said:

For those still waiting on Saint Louis, I received an email to check the application portal for my letter yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately for me it was a rejection letter, but perhaps some of you will have happier discoveries.

Still waiting and it's kind of ridiculous. I just checked the portal in case I missed the email but still nothing. Never had to wait until April for any word back before.

I emailed the graduate admissions department and they were quite unhelpful: "each department meets at different times so we don't know when you will hear back."

Edited by hyperborean
Spelling error

2 hours ago, TCS411 said:

@Averroes MD and @rmcf: How were you notified of the waitlist? I'm with @YoGramma, I haven't heard anything, and there's nothing in my application portal. The not knowing is getting more difficult to deal with, especially now that some others have received news... :(

As sjca14 mentioned, make sure you scroll down to the bottom of the page once you've logged into the application portal. My decision was posted on Tuesday morning and got an automated email from the Graduate School saying that a decision has been made and to check the application portal later that day.

In the event that there hasn't been a decision made, I'd also encourage you to get in touch with the department. 

Has anyone received an acceptance from Georgetown?

Edited by rmcf

1 hour ago, rmcf said:

As sjca14 mentioned, make sure you scroll down to the bottom of the page once you've logged into the application portal. My decision was posted on Tuesday morning and got an automated email from the Graduate School saying that a decision has been made and to check the application portal later that day.

In the event that there hasn't been a decision made, I'd also encourage you to get in touch with the department. 

Has anyone received an acceptance from Georgetown?

Thank you so much for this response. I did scroll all the way down in the portal, and I even double checked after reading sjca14's post, but I didn't see anything. Knowing now that you saw your decision in the portal before receiving the email notification, I'm wondering if those who found the rejections in the portal with no emails have since received those emails...   

Edited by TCS411

6 hours ago, TCS411 said:

Thank you so much for this response. I did scroll all the way down in the portal, and I even double checked after reading sjca14's post, but I didn't see anything. Knowing now that you saw your decision in the portal before receiving the email notification, I'm wondering if those who found the rejections in the portal with no emails have since received those emails...   

I received the link to the rejection notice on the Georgetown portal in the morning (3/20) and then the email came around 5 pm that evening. 

58 minutes ago, Theobuckeye said:

I received the link to the rejection notice on the Georgetown portal in the morning (3/20) and then the email came around 5 pm that evening. 

Thank you so much for this. Now that I know that those who have heard have heard via the portal and email, I guess I can speculate that they are either releasing news by area of focus, or just in waves. Either way, at least I know that I didn't miss anything. Thanks again!