MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Hey all,

I'm currently enrolled in an MFA program. I was on this site last year. I thought it would be helpful to address the issues of anxiety and doubt that artists encounter when going through the application process. I can look back on this time with clarity, and felt compelled to provide a bit of insight to potentially bolster confidence within current applicants and to provide a few personal truths to guide their thinking. I'm providing a summary of my experiences of admission. 

I don't have a BFA, I have a BS. I had taught myself visual art and was eventually inducted into a community of recent MFA graduates in San Francisco.  I was exhibiting as a conceptual artist without an arts degree. As such, many galleries didn't know what to do with me. It proved difficult to move beyond my immediate arts community. I had also dreamed of indulging myself in an arts degree so I could experience crits, learn from talented professors, and advance my career in terms of creativity, merit, and general success.

I had done my research on schools. I applied to the three "Most Influential MFA's in the World"; Yale, Columbia, and Goldsmiths. I hadn't expected anything on account of my lack of a BFA. I did obsess over my personal statements, got letters of recommendation from artists and curators with which I developed meaningful relationships with, and I made certain to put forward a strong portfolio of new work. 

To my great surprise, I was invited to interview at Yale, Columbia, and Goldsmiths! I was ecstatic. I prepared for my interviews, and flew out to New York and Connecticut for Columbia and Yale. I had this unwavering vision as to what these schools were; half informed by a sincere idealism and also the "prestige" that these schools marketed. 

I had arrived in New York and spoke with an acquaintance currently enrolled in Columbia's MFA. The student informed me that the studios were uninhabitable and were bordering on condemnation. Pieces of the ceiling were falling from the ceiling and there was a lot of tension about the limited physical resources provided in relation to the unreasonable tuition (60K per year). The student regretted attending and highly recommended I find a cheaper smaller public school. Students felt anxious about wagering 120k of student loan debt on the slim chance of becoming an acclaimed "art star". I had my interview, it was quick and neutral. My idealism was already crushed. 

I had then went to Connecticut to interview at Yale. I was told that they were tough on applicants during their presentations to see how they react under pressure. I presented my work. I spoke confidently and had decided to discuss my more experimental projects and philosophies. These ideas being critical of elitism, capitalism, and the limited agency artists are granted within contemporary art, result in a critique of exclusive institutions. I wanted to demonstrate the ideas that were more contentious within my practice to depict my sincere intentions in art and to be certain that I find a school that is supportive of my perspective.

I expected Yale, being an "Influential MFA", to be open to ideas that were political and I also expected them to be aware of concerns of their exclusivity. I hadn't expected the faculty to be offended by my comments, and I hadn't expected them to consider my work too conceptual to critique, I didn't think that was even possible. My idealism, again, was crushed. I had expected so much from them and I was completely shocked by the poor response and conservative ideologies that they were adamant to protect. Their comments alluded to a definition of merit as financial success. Their comments on art alluded to an object that is a manifestation of an aesthetic to function as an asset, rather than an artefact of an idea , confession, or philosophy. 

It felt hopeless. After these interviews, I had felt defeated. I spiraled emotionally and starting doubting myself. These schools were marketed to me as some grand answer, an escape perhaps from the uncertainty and physical toil of being an emerging artist. I was labeled as some rabble-rouser, some "other", someone who felt certain about what they wanted but unsure of where to find it. I had saw Oz behind the curtain and I had lost my faith.

I had my interview at Goldsmiths. I gave the same presentation as I had at Yale. I expected the same sentiments and braced myself for the same offense Yale had shown me. They gave me immediate acceptance because of my philosophies.................................................

I'm sharing this story because I thinks important to look beyond the "prestige" of schools. I'd recommend that artists find a school that they identify with, to not attempt to change their practice to appease a school, and to never feel lesser if they do not align with a school's agenda. A Masters in Fine Art is not about a degree, its about an education. As such, we must maintain a criticism of institutions that are not providing adequate education, relevant political inquiry, and encouragement for experimentalism. We must acknowledge the institutional art systems that are inherently exclusive of artists of lower socio-economic class, race, and otherness. We must also acknowledge our desire to attend these institutions as a form of complicity with the creation of fictitious merit and acclaim. 

Your art is a depiction of your individual perspective. Your merit is not dependent on your credentials. Do not spend 120k on a degree. You cannot purchase talent. Do not conform to institutional standards if by any account you attempt to be subversive in your art. Find a school you fall for intuitively and maintain a skepticism of prestige perpetuated by exclusivity. Make efforts to support yourself and others through community. Exhibit without a degree if you don't find the right school. Do not ever see a degree as a form of permission to practice as an artist. 

I never expected to end up in London at Goldsmiths. I am beyond grateful that I found a school that I identify with, one that encourages criticism of injustices, and one that I feel truly provides an education about what it means to be an artist.

Find yourself before you find your school.

P.S. education is way cheaper in Europe 

Hi Advice4MFA and everyone else!!

I have a BFA in photo (graduated in 2015) and I am now applying for an MFA. My recent work has taken me in this slightly "untraditional" path of photography that I would describe as photo collage (think Charlotte Cotton's "Photography is Magic" for those photographers out there). I am very excited about where this work is going and I got great feedback at the national portfolio review day.

I have come to understand that schools want to see some diversity in a portfolio, as in not 20  images from the same series or body of work. This is where I start to worry a bit. I am afraid that if all my portfolio images are digitally altered in some way that the schools will worry I can't take a good, straight, normal, traditional photograph (which I can). So my question really boils down to this- is it ok to have a portfolio in which all or the majority of all the images are digitally altered in some way? 

I never really knew until recently that successful artist's in the contemporary art world worked in this way so I still feel like I'm treading in uncharted territory. Anyone who has some insight on this I would love love love to hear from you! Thanks a ton!

Question for Advice4MFA:

How did you approach tailoring statements to your applications?

As I'm applying to multiple programs, I'm noticing that each application has slightly different requirements regarding written documents. Some only have space designated for a general "personal statement" while others have areas specified for multiple: artist statement, statement of professional intent, adversity statement, etc.  

Regarding programs that only accept a single document, should I try to incorporate answers to multiple questions or is it wiser to simply provide an artist statement?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 3:43 PM, Zander said:

Did anyone attend Yale open house?!!  If so, give us the 411,  saw that it reached capacity this year! 

I did the Virtual Open House. Takeaways = portfolio is super important, they value tradition, there is no 'right' candidate, they are looking for a mixture of conceptual maturity and promise of growth. Show/Gallery exhibit experience not very necessary, at least not a priority.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2017 at 10:08 AM, a_photo said:

Hi Advice4MFA and everyone else!!

I have a BFA in photo (graduated in 2015) and I am now applying for an MFA. My recent work has taken me in this slightly "untraditional" path of photography that I would describe as photo collage (think Charlotte Cotton's "Photography is Magic" for those photographers out there). I am very excited about where this work is going and I got great feedback at the national portfolio review day.

I have come to understand that schools want to see some diversity in a portfolio, as in not 20  images from the same series or body of work. This is where I start to worry a bit. I am afraid that if all my portfolio images are digitally altered in some way that the schools will worry I can't take a good, straight, normal, traditional photograph (which I can). So my question really boils down to this- is it ok to have a portfolio in which all or the majority of all the images are digitally altered in some way? 

I never really knew until recently that successful artist's in the contemporary art world worked in this way so I still feel like I'm treading in uncharted territory. Anyone who has some insight on this I would love love love to hear from you! Thanks a ton!

a_photo,

Your portfolio should show off your strongest work. If your strongest work is all from the same body of work, then show it. I would not diversify your portfolio with weaker work or assignments from classes just to try to prove you can work in other materials or have certain technical skill sets. If you have a degree in art they assume you have had a basic arts education and have mastered the basic skills. They might express concern if you do not have an art background, but that is not a deal-breaker either. 

Try to show off your strongest work in the format required. You can also add a link to your website in the header of your letters. Your website could provide an opportunity for you to tell your story in a different format, but in general, they can find the information they need about you in your CV, statement, and portfolio. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2017 at 2:55 AM, Mr.PoopyButtHole said:

SO I started my applications today and I was kind of confused as to what to put under my references section of my Yale and UCLA Apps. It asks for relationship? Do you think they mean mentor? advisor? Also, would it be wise to include the other schools we are applying to? 

For relationship you could include mentor, advisor, former professor, etc.  I'm not sure about the other schools, but I bet they collect that for analyzing competition more than affecting their admission decision.  I could be wrong though.

On 12/11/2017 at 4:47 PM, haunted cornfield said:

Long time watcher here, applying to:

UCLA

UO-Eugene

HUNTER

CALARTS

Anyone know of any programs that give accepted graduate students full funding that aren't in NYC or LA? 

UMass Amherst

The freak forum is so quiet this year, even more so than the last year!!!!

haunted   Try  UMichigan, it's a public school that seems to be on the rise. its avant-garde, conceptual and research-intensive eccentric program. Most are the artist accepted seemed to have an interdisciplinary studio practice. 5 candidates receive amazing funding opportunities including the following, 100% Tuition Waiver $85,060, Stipend $18,343 (divided into 4 semesters), Health Care Benefits $4,157, Stamps Discretionary Funds $4,000 ($2,000 per year), MFA International Project $4,500. It's also important to note that I couldn't identify notable alumni during my research or even recent grads that  are on the national or international stage. However, their writing program is a creative writing powerhouse! 

On 11/2/2017 at 10:48 PM, Advice4MFA said:

@98Charleston

Yale does call previous interviewees back if they like the work they are doing the second time around. I know people who have been called back to Yale for an interview three times, However Yale does recommend that if you are rejected three times to not apply again the fourth time. At Yale many students are rejected at least once before they end up there. 

Dear @Advice4MFA, @Yetti and all the other generous MFA students who are chiming in. I was wondering what you thought about re-using work when re-applying to certain schools. For my 20-piece work limit, I am submitting 17 new pieces. There are 3 small pieces that I submitted last year to Yale and Columbia but did not get a chance to show in the interview. I think as the initial steps to my 2017 work they are significant. Do you think I should omit them? Or include them again? 

All best! Happy holidays everyone!

Edited by 98Charleston
TYPO

It's really hard to say yes or no without seeing the work. I have work in my portfolio from 2015 and they're still significant and strong enough pieces to even include in my 16 image portfolio for Yale. 

On 12/24/2017 at 11:41 AM, Zander said:

It's really hard to say yes or no without seeing the work. I have work in my portfolio from 2015 and they're still significant and strong enough pieces to even include in my 16 image portfolio for Yale. 

Thanks for your input! Looks like I am not alone. Best of luck with your applications :) 

@lynn56 Applied to Yale painting last week and paid that crazy $100 application fee!  It's pretty much Yale or nothing, can't afford to pay for another app.  My non MFA applications include the Atlantic Center for the Arts, Skowhegan and Fine Arts Work Center.

I’ve finished all 8 of my applications. The fees for applications are ridiculous, and I’m hoping it’s worth the investment this year. Does anyone know when is the earliest grad programs tend to start sending out acceptance or rejection notifications? 

Happy New Years  everyone! Hope everyone's applications are going over smoothly.

I had a quick question about Yale's portfolio upload requirements. I can't seem to find information on px dimension restrictions? I am currently just going with 1200 as the longest px dimension. I am concerned because when you upload images and look at the preview, it's not as clear as the original file and I was curious if it's because I need a smaller px dimension.

Am I just not reading the bulletin carefully? Or do they just not specify anywhere?

i don't see any px dimension requirements, as long as the size is lower than 64mb. i would keep it at or under 1000px to be on the safe side.

envious of all you who are completed. 

i'm applying for the first time - still finishing a couple pieces! 

Hi all,

I've decided to apply again for grad school. The past two application seasons. I applied to Tulane (rejected) SIU-Carbondale (interviewed, but rejected-the prof interviewing hated my guts), And Portland State (accepted, but the funding was not enough for me to attend, the cost of living in Portland has gotten ridiculous.  Aside from the MFA i am also applying to Art Ed programs. I am applying for painting.

I also applied to SIUE for degree in Design and Information systems-having a decent job would be great for a change-so if nothing else works out maybe ill do this.

I need an MFA program with great funding

this year: University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Tulane University

University of Southern Florida 

University of Nevada, Las Vegas

Alfred University (international MFA, i might apply to this) 

maybe some others its been a rough year for me trying to figure out what to do. Jobs, relationships, etc

ART ED

Texas Tech

Northern Illinois University