MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

On 12/31/2017 at 5:29 PM, stupidpainter said:

Happy New Years  everyone! Hope everyone's applications are going over smoothly.

I had a quick question about Yale's portfolio upload requirements. I can't seem to find information on px dimension restrictions? I am currently just going with 1200 as the longest px dimension. I am concerned because when you upload images and look at the preview, it's not as clear as the original file and I was curious if it's because I need a smaller px dimension.

Am I just not reading the bulletin carefully? Or do they just not specify anywhere?

Which program? I submitted my app for photography today. Submitted 1920 px long side and the viewer still gave me a shitty .jpeg preview. I assume it's just the viewer and when they actually look at your work it will be the actual .jpegs. I didn't see a specified size anywhere, most of the places I'm applying didn't give dimension requirements either, except for SVA (1080x1920) so I'm sticking with that.

3 hours ago, cklos said:

Which program? I submitted my app for photography today. Submitted 1920 px long side and the viewer still gave me a shitty .jpeg preview. I assume it's just the viewer and when they actually look at your work it will be the actual .jpegs. I didn't see a specified size anywhere, most of the places I'm applying didn't give dimension requirements either, except for SVA (1080x1920) so I'm sticking with that.

Okay cool, just wanted to double check I wasn't missing something. As for the description of the image, seems kind of vague. Any idea what they would possibly want from this? (not some inner narrative about each piece of work I'm sure?)

Anyone else applying to a low residency MFA program? Specifically Bard or SAIC? Would also love any input on the differences between those two programs. I know Bard is 8 weeks and SAIC is 6 weeks --- they both seem to have great faculty and visiting artists... 

Yale has closed offices on Thursday, January 4 due to a snowstorm. The Office of Academic Administration will monitor emails regarding application issue you might have.

On 12/30/2017 at 2:21 AM, lynn56 said:

Anyone submitted any applications yet?

I applied for painting:

Yale

Cornell

University of Illinois Urbana

WSU

Ohio University 

Finishing up apps for:

UMichigan

Northwestern

Hey @lynn56I noticed that you are applying to UMichigan for painting.  Why did you end up deciding to apply there? I've noticed a few painters applying there over the years, but when I looked into the program it seemed really interdisciplinary and I didn't see many painters in the faculty or among the student body. I mean the program itself seems super cool and unique(you get to work with a professor outside of art, do a month long international research trip of your design, and full funding!), and the professors I met there where super smart and kind, but I was just wondering about your reasons for applying there. 

Edited by peachgray

Two more applications to finish off for me! 

It's so hard to know how much detail to go into with the personal history, statement of purpose AND artist statement. I am trying to get that nice balance of all three together telling a nice story of my practice. How is everyone else going? 

11 hours ago, icw said:

Does anyone know how many students the University of South Florida MFA studio program admits each year?

There are about 10 to 12 first year grads of all disciplines each year.

Grads are doing well. One recent video artist is showing at a small gallery in NYC and showed recently at Art Basel MIami. Another attended Skowhegan last summer. Very strong visiting artists program.  Some excellent professors. Interdisciplinary. Students of diverse age range from across USA and International students welcome and eligible for funding.

Here is a thread for anyone interested in USF. I think the application deadline is January 15.  All the best to everyone in their applications.

p.s. don't pay for MFA if at all possible. It is no guarantee of anything.

Edited by worldly

On 1/3/2018 at 8:47 AM, let_me_in said:

Anyone else applying to a low residency MFA program? Specifically Bard or SAIC? Would also love any input on the differences between those two programs. I know Bard is 8 weeks and SAIC is 6 weeks --- they both seem to have great faculty and visiting artists... 

Bard is an interesting low-res because A. they've been doing it longer than a lot of other programs and B. it's their only MFA program.  I've heard great things!

I applied to SAIC low-res - so obviously I've heard good things about them as well. I appreciate that SAIC matches you with a mentor in your local area.

If you are excited about low-res I think these are both good choices! I personally think it's a really interesting format that offers different strengths and weaknesses than the traditional format - so if the low-res strengths/weaknesses work for you, go for it!

12 hours ago, worldly said:

There are about 10 to 12 first year grads of all disciplines each year.

Grads are doing well. One recent video artist is showing at a small gallery in NYC and showed recently at Art Basel MIami. Another attended Skowhegan last summer. Very strong visiting artists program.  Some excellent professors. Interdisciplinary. Students of diverse age range from across USA and International students welcome and eligible for funding.

Here is a thread for anyone interested in USF. I think the application deadline is January 15.  All the best to everyone in their applications.

p.s. don't pay for MFA if at all possible. It is no guarantee of anything.

Just wrapped up my application!

@henryfive I just check google analytics and my email constantly even though I know it’s probably too early to hear back from anyone. The most stressful part for me was writing the statement of purpose. It was really hard for me to tell what exactly I should write and how much I should personalize them for each program. 

This is my second go around and since I am older I don't know how many times I want to go through the application process. I prefer to create art. All that application language  worries me wondering if I dotted all my i and crossed my t's. English is my second language so its natural that I am always worried I misspelled something. Even after I have natives check my material I end up finding something even they missed. 

In my head it's a done deal, either someone can see me in their MFA program or they can't. After I visited the last National Portfolio day I realized it is pretty much a lottery. You do need some luck even if your work is strong. The judges don't know your work ethic and what you bring to the table by reading your application and looking at your work alone. In person contact can't be underestimated.

How do I deal with all the stress? I am decompressing for a few days trying to let the angst simmer out a little.

Here are some things I do:

• Visit galleries and museums

• Read up on upcoming artists

• Sign up for a course outside your media/expertise, just enrolled in an 8 week course

• Volunteer

• Read a new book on art

• Make a list of interview question and answers

• Research the cities and art scene of the programs I applied to in debt 

• Come up with at least 3 themes and concepts you consider for your MFA thesis

• Make a dream list what your solo exhibition would look like 

Add to this list and let see what other ideas we can come up with to pass the time while waiting.

Edited by IrisR

18 hours ago, OldMFA said:

I'm definitely freaking out more now than when I was applying, waiting is so hard!  

I also feel like every program I applied to is tiny and super hard to get into to :wacko:

When you really look at all programs it is difficult to get into. On an average most only take 4 students. I only know of a few who take more than 10. 

On January 6, 2018 at 8:17 PM, mentius said:

hello!

does anyone have experience with the MFA program at SACI in Florence? I'm a painter and really interested in spending time in Italy but am unsure of the quality of the programs taught in English (am also applying to Tyler because of their Rome connection).

Thanks!

I have not attended SACI in Florence myself, but many Rowan University students went there and love the time they spend at SACI. I believe they are touring the US right now to promote their program. I am not sure if you are aware many MFA program have agreements with SACI and even if you apply in the US you could still have an opportunity to attend SACI in Italy.

NY

The exhibition will be on view from January 18 to March 31, 2018, at 434 Greenwich Street, in Tribeca, with an opening reception on Thursday, January 18, 6-8pm

For more information please contact 212.343.2599 or api@artprojects.com

On November 5, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Yetti said:

Hey all,

I'm currently enrolled in an MFA program. I was on this site last year. I thought it would be helpful to address the issues of anxiety and doubt that artists encounter when going through the application process. I can look back on this time with clarity, and felt compelled to provide a bit of insight to potentially bolster confidence within current applicants and to provide a few personal truths to guide their thinking. I'm providing a summary of my experiences of admission. 

I don't have a BFA, I have a BS. I had taught myself visual art and was eventually inducted into a community of recent MFA graduates in San Francisco.  I was exhibiting as a conceptual artist without an arts degree. As such, many galleries didn't know what to do with me. It proved difficult to move beyond my immediate arts community. I had also dreamed of indulging myself in an arts degree so I could experience crits, learn from talented professors, and advance my career in terms of creativity, merit, and general success.

I had done my research on schools. I applied to the three "Most Influential MFA's in the World"; Yale, Columbia, and Goldsmiths. I hadn't expected anything on account of my lack of a BFA. I did obsess over my personal statements, got letters of recommendation from artists and curators with which I developed meaningful relationships with, and I made certain to put forward a strong portfolio of new work. 

To my great surprise, I was invited to interview at Yale, Columbia, and Goldsmiths! I was ecstatic. I prepared for my interviews, and flew out to New York and Connecticut for Columbia and Yale. I had this unwavering vision as to what these schools were; half informed by a sincere idealism and also the "prestige" that these schools marketed. 

I had arrived in New York and spoke with an acquaintance currently enrolled in Columbia's MFA. The student informed me that the studios were uninhabitable and were bordering on condemnation. Pieces of the ceiling were falling from the ceiling and there was a lot of tension about the limited physical resources provided in relation to the unreasonable tuition (60K per year). The student regretted attending and highly recommended I find a cheaper smaller public school. Students felt anxious about wagering 120k of student loan debt on the slim chance of becoming an acclaimed "art star". I had my interview, it was quick and neutral. My idealism was already crushed. 

I had then went to Connecticut to interview at Yale. I was told that they were tough on applicants during their presentations to see how they react under pressure. I presented my work. I spoke confidently and had decided to discuss my more experimental projects and philosophies. These ideas being critical of elitism, capitalism, and the limited agency artists are granted within contemporary art, result in a critique of exclusive institutions. I wanted to demonstrate the ideas that were more contentious within my practice to depict my sincere intentions in art and to be certain that I find a school that is supportive of my perspective.

I expected Yale, being an "Influential MFA", to be open to ideas that were political and I also expected them to be aware of concerns of their exclusivity. I hadn't expected the faculty to be offended by my comments, and I hadn't expected them to consider my work too conceptual to critique, I didn't think that was even possible. My idealism, again, was crushed. I had expected so much from them and I was completely shocked by the poor response and conservative ideologies that they were adamant to protect. Their comments alluded to a definition of merit as financial success. Their comments on art alluded to an object that is a manifestation of an aesthetic to function as an asset, rather than an artefact of an idea , confession, or philosophy. 

It felt hopeless. After these interviews, I had felt defeated. I spiraled emotionally and starting doubting myself. These schools were marketed to me as some grand answer, an escape perhaps from the uncertainty and physical toil of being an emerging artist. I was labeled as some rabble-rouser, some "other", someone who felt certain about what they wanted but unsure of where to find it. I had saw Oz behind the curtain and I had lost my faith.

I had my interview at Goldsmiths. I gave the same presentation as I had at Yale. I expected the same sentiments and braced myself for the same offense Yale had shown me. They gave me immediate acceptance because of my philosophies.................................................

I'm sharing this story because I thinks important to look beyond the "prestige" of schools. I'd recommend that artists find a school that they identify with, to not attempt to change their practice to appease a school, and to never feel lesser if they do not align with a school's agenda. A Masters in Fine Art is not about a degree, its about an education. As such, we must maintain a criticism of institutions that are not providing adequate education, relevant political inquiry, and encouragement for experimentalism. We must acknowledge the institutional art systems that are inherently exclusive of artists of lower socio-economic class, race, and otherness. We must also acknowledge our desire to attend these institutions as a form of complicity with the creation of fictitious merit and acclaim. 

Your art is a depiction of your individual perspective. Your merit is not dependent on your credentials. Do not spend 120k on a degree. You cannot purchase talent. Do not conform to institutional standards if by any account you attempt to be subversive in your art. Find a school you fall for intuitively and maintain a skepticism of prestige perpetuated by exclusivity. Make efforts to support yourself and others through community. Exhibit without a degree if you don't find the right school. Do not ever see a degree as a form of permission to practice as an artist. 

I never expected to end up in London at Goldsmiths. I am beyond grateful that I found a school that I identify with, one that encourages criticism of injustices, and one that I feel truly provides an education about what it means to be an artist.

Find yourself before you find your school.

P.S. education is way cheaper in Europe 

Thank you well written and a good point for visiting institutions before you commit to their programs. I like to see the works of current MFA students especially the ones who are about to graduate. I feel that is very telling on how strong a MFA program a given University truly has.