MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2017 at 5:52 PM, Advice4MFA said:

Hi Everyone

I am currently an MFA student and this forum helped me quite a lot when I was going through my application process. I thought I would come in to help in anyway that I can. I don't want to reveal where I am currently studying as my program is quite small and as grads we do have a voice in the new MFA application process. 

Last year I did get accepted to every school that I applied to including the Ivy leagues. After starting my MFA and getting the know the faculty, I learned quite a lot about how their application process works and what they are looking for in their students. Different institutions are looking for different things, however this is an over arching theme that most institutions want in MFA students. I am an interdisciplinary artist and know how to work in photo, sculpture, painting, film, instillations etc. 

When I had applied for my MFA, I did not have a B.F.A., I was coming from a Liberal Arts background. I never had any of my work shown in any gallery. Hopefully this will give some of you who aren't coming from a Fine Arts background some hope. For those of you who are applying to grad school with a B.F.A. and have already shown in galleries (big or small), trust me you have an advantage in this application process. 

If you have any questions about portfolios, essays, interviews, recommendation letters, or even why some students make it (when their work seems crappy) and some don't (when their work seems great), I am happy to answer them. 

Good luck on this process!

So u can apply without a Bfa

• 2 months later...
On 2/18/2019 at 11:56 AM, Portola said:

Can you provide insight into any of the Low Residency MFA progrmas? 

You should be able to find discussions on low res programs through the search function or by using a search engine of choice. From what I have gathered previously though is that they usually do not offer funding, so that is something to consider. 

3 hours ago, Ais said:

Interview tomorrow and I've COMPLETELY LOST MY VOICE...I mean nothing at all is coming out except a whisper!!! ?? 

Best of luck, but this is the 2018 thread! :)

For the love of God. This is intense.  

Can anyone tell me - if you got an interview request from Mass art, What the letter said.  Was it informal> or formal?

I found that I have a letter from early Feb. saying "Let's Talk about how we can make your dream a reality"...but it was not formal.  I just was not clear on if that is 

an "interview" letter or just a tour letter post application. 

39 minutes ago, SBP113 said:

For the love of God. This is intense.  

Can anyone tell me - if you got an interview request from Mass art, What the letter said.  Was it informal> or formal?

I found that I have a letter from early Feb. saying "Let's Talk about how we can make your dream a reality"...but it was not formal.  I just was not clear on if that is 

an "interview" letter or just a tour letter post application. 

Can you post the letter with personal info redacted?

Let’s talk about how we can help you make your dream of becoming a graduate student a reality. MassArt is committed to supporting graduate students....with her email...I think it was just a random tour thing....what do the interview letters read like when you guys have received??

15 hours ago, SBP113 said:

Let’s talk about how we can help you make your dream of becoming a graduate student a reality. MassArt is committed to supporting graduate students....with her email...I think it was just a random tour thing....what do the interview letters read like when you guys have received??

I feel like they would have been more specific if it was an interview offer. That sounds like an automated newsletter or something like that. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 1:27 PM, Xindxxx said:

NYU Tisch Design for stage and film 

Anyone?

Yes! I haven't heard anything from then yet, did you?

(edit: just realized what year it is haha)

Edited by zek19