Jump to content
Zander

MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Recommended Posts

On 3/21/2018 at 3:25 AM, slickjaketheruler said:

I got waitlisted to OSU too. I didn't have an interview though. Which was kinda strange now that I think about it.

Did you end up having any luck? I haven't heard anything, and I'm very disappointed. I was really set on going there, mainly because I love Columbus and I have a lot of friends there. It is such a good program too, and the department had everything I was looking for.

 

Does it seem like a good idea to anyone at this point to send an email just out right asking for an update? I figure it won't hurt my chances this late in the game, and I may as well rip the band aid so I can just move on, because I'm sick of checking my emails every day and finding nothing there. 

Edited by sellian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, artapplicant said:

has anyone heard from skowhegan or vsc? 

 

1 hour ago, BradleyMpainting said:

Rejected from VSC yesterday. 

curious... I applied to both and haven't heard anything from either yet. A facebook acquaintance of mine posted yesterday that they would be going to VSC this summer, so I guess acceptances are out..at least to some? Wonder why I haven't heard yet if both rejections and acceptances are out.

The mysteries of admissions panels I suppose. Maybe one day in the future I can be on a panel and have some clue about wtf happens behind closed doors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cabot245 said:

 

curious... I applied to both and haven't heard anything from either yet. A facebook acquaintance of mine posted yesterday that they would be going to VSC this summer, so I guess acceptances are out..at least to some? Wonder why I haven't heard yet if both rejections and acceptances are out.

The mysteries of admissions panels I suppose. Maybe one day in the future I can be on a panel and have some clue about wtf happens behind closed doors

perhaps just the acceptances with the fellowship are out? 

maybe the last thing they send out are people who got in but without fellowship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BradleyMpainting said:

perhaps just the acceptances with the fellowship are out? 

maybe the last thing they send out are people who got in but without fellowship

oof...it didn't even occur to me that that was a possibility until reading your post. I don't know who are these people who can afford 1k/week to attend a residency...definitely not me, honestly even a free residency is expensive when you factor in material costs, time away from work, paying rent for my apartment that I won't be living in for the time...

I still applied to skowhegan and vsc knowing either would be tough/impossible financially if I got in. I hope I hear back from both this week, I want to start planning my summer either way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do any of you guys have experience with deferment? Do scholarships normally carry though to a new term or are you re-evaluated? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, it's been a minute! Here's an update:

University of Florida: Accepted

Rutgers: Accepted

Tulane: Rejected

Georgia State University: ???

 

Rutgers was my top choice! I'm pretty hype. I just had to share. Last year I applied for ten programs to be denied from all of them and this year feels like a turn around! Good luck guys, also I'll keep you all posted if Georgia state mentions anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:43 PM, screendoorslams said:

anyone else on this thread going to either Rutgers or U. of Florida (accepted into their Art + Technology program)? If you are I'd love to know how you made your decision. I'm having a helluva time deciding.

thank you:wub:

I was accepted into both programs. I chose Rutgers. It really depends on what you want to go for. First Florida is the better school overall, but Rutgers art department is better and it is only two years where as Florida's is three. Florida has a unique and great technology implementation. However, interdisplinary studies is Rutgers focus. Florida is easier access to Art Basal Miami, and Rutgers to New York. I choose Rutgers due to proximity, department quality, faculty and two years. Why do you want to go to either?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hduggan said:

Do any of you guys have experience with deferment? Do scholarships normally carry though to a new term or are you re-evaluated? 

I deferred admission to CalArts last year, my financial aid package did not carry over, I was re-evaluated. But it worked out well as I was offered a bit more in financial assistance. Wish you the best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, artapplicant said:

has anyone heard from skowhegan or vsc? 

Yeah I’m going to vsc in June ! :D Got accepted last Tuesday 

Edited by charoarte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Shinobi_Legend said:

I was accepted into both programs. I chose Rutgers. It really depends on what you want to go for. First Florida is the better school overall, but Rutgers art department is better and it is only two years where as Florida's is three. Florida has a unique and great technology implementation. However, interdisplinary studies is Rutgers focus. Florida is easier access to Art Basal Miami, and Rutgers to New York. I choose Rutgers due to proximity, department quality, faculty and two years. Why do you want to go to either?

 

9 hours ago, Shinobi_Legend said:

Hey guys, it's been a minute! Here's an update:

University of Florida: Accepted

Rutgers: Accepted

Tulane: Rejected

Georgia State University: ???

 

Rutgers was my top choice! I'm pretty hype. I just had to share. Last year I applied for ten programs to be denied from all of them and this year feels like a turn around! Good luck guys, also I'll keep you all posted if Georgia state mentions anything.

I was accepted to Florida and rejected by Rutgers ... I visited Florida and loooved the students! They took me out for drinks, Hosted me, we went hiking and all... the scenery is beautiful and the school is sooo well equipped ... i rejected their offer to go to hunter which I still feel a little bad about .. but it was a tough desicion..  the studios were not the best for painting :. But in the long run you get much more from three years  than two.  Rutgers was my first choice so I was sad to be rejected ..:: it’s a really really really competitive programs I’m guessing... so I guess it depends on what you want after school 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, artapplicant said:

has anyone not heard from vsc yet? 

i still haven't heard anything....if I don't hear by end of business day today I'm going to send an email asking what's up. maybe they rolled out based on scheduling preferences? I selected dates in august/september... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, hduggan said:

Do any of you guys have experience with deferment? Do scholarships normally carry though to a new term or are you re-evaluated? 

I asked BU about it. They said the scholarship may not carry over but they try their best to do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, charoarte said:

 

I was accepted to Florida and rejected by Rutgers ... I visited Florida and loooved the students! They took me out for drinks, Hosted me, we went hiking and all... the scenery is beautiful and the school is sooo well equipped ... i rejected their offer to go to hunter which I still feel a little bad about .. but it was a tough desicion..  the studios were not the best for painting :. But in the long run you get much more from three years  than two.  Rutgers was my first choice so I was sad to be rejected ..:: it’s a really really really competitive programs I’m guessing... so I guess it depends on what you want after school 

I bet Florida was nice! But equipped for painting? That's odd. But Hunter is a great school and rigorous at that, congratulations! I really the city life. The drawing program is phenomenal, I loved the faculty and the facilities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 11:26 AM, MFAAFM said:

Berkeley full ride...or Tyler with about only half of cost covered+plus a small living stipend??? Wasn’t expecting this decision to be so hard...this is for painting

Berkeley. Your shouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg for graduate school. However I really enjoy Tyler's painting program. It's really what you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emailed OSU, was told they have filled all spots and "won't be accepting anyone else off the waitlist". I think I'm more disappointed that someone DID get in off the waitlist. At least, that is how I'm reading it.

 

Try again next year I guess! ?

Edited by sellian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 3:07 PM, stupidpainter said:

I believe you probably received my offer from Tyler that I had turned down. I don't know too much about Berkeley, but Tyler is a great school. It was a hard decision to turn them down, Professor Glahn was very kind and knows his stuff. I do think Tyler fits a certain type of painter though, so if you would like to message me to show or talk about your work I could give you more feedback...

A fullride is very hard to turn down..Tyler is pretty costly tbh, you could also inquire about more financial aid. Let me know! Happy to continue this conversation. 

Hey, could you say more about the kind of painter you think fits at Tyler? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Shinobi_Legend said:

I was accepted into both programs. I chose Rutgers. It really depends on what you want to go for. First Florida is the better school overall, but Rutgers art department is better and it is only two years where as Florida's is three. Florida has a unique and great technology implementation. However, interdisplinary studies is Rutgers focus. Florida is easier access to Art Basal Miami, and Rutgers to New York. I choose Rutgers due to proximity, department quality, faculty and two years. Why do you want to go to either?

I chose Rutgers too! Looking forward to meeting you there. Lemme know if you want to exchange emails. Can't wait to find out everyone who's coming.

It was a really hard decision and I think Florida is an amazing program with good funding. Was especially impressed with Jack Stenner and am kind jealous of whoever gets to work with him. I had a little bit of difficulty finding and connecting with their current students, whereas Rutgers' mfa blog made everything super accessible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cabot245 said:

i still haven't heard anything....if I don't hear by end of business day today I'm going to send an email asking what's up. maybe they rolled out based on scheduling preferences? I selected dates in august/september... 

yeah me too- still havent heard... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do any of you guys have opinions about Hunter and NYU Steinhardt? I applied to studio art and my concentration is painting. two are so different, hard to choose..

 

Edited by xgramx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, xgramx said:

Do any of you guys have opinions about Hunter and NYU Steinhardt? I applied to studio art and my concentration is painting. two are so different, hard to choose..

 

Did you get accepted to both? They are both phenomenal schools. I would lean a little towards Hunter since the tuition is 1/3 of the cost and they have amazing painters for you to work with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all,

I'm new here and I'm looking for fellow Animation MFA applicants so that I can stop freaking out in solitude :wacko:. I was waitlisted for the program at USC and I am still waiting for the program at UCLA which I know will take forever because they have a late application due date (February 1st). To everyone still waiting for MFA programs, good luck!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, kimala said:

Hello all,

I'm new here and I'm looking for fellow Animation MFA applicants so that I can stop freaking out in solitude :wacko:. I was waitlisted for the program at USC and I am still waiting for the program at UCLA which I know will take forever because they have a late application due date (February 1st). To everyone still waiting for MFA programs, good luck!

 

Hi there! I'm waiting UCLA's response for the same MFA, so I feel you. You are not the only one desperately waiting for that email XD . Good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I would share this one-year residency program with an approaching deadline (April 15th) in Rochester, NY. Flower City Arts Center has 5-10 artists in residence every year in three fields: Printing and Book Arts, Ceramics, and Photography and Digital Arts. 

I know a lot of artists who have gone through this residency program and loved it! Seems like a great program for emerging artists in particular. I know a lot of their former residents did this the year before attending a graduate program. 

https://www.rochesterarts.org/residencies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.