Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This thread is for anyone applying to the Munk School of Global Affairs program for Fall 2018.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, I figured this thread would have been a bit more active right about now. I'm not applying to Munk per say, but I've applied to the dual degree program offered between Munk and Sciences PO, so I'm sort of relevant to this thread, I guess. I'll do my part to resurrect it and see if anyone else is giving it a shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be applying within the next few weeks and I am pretty nervous. My CGPA is an A- and my GPA is an A-. This semester was pretty shaky so I think my CGPA will be a B+. I studied abroad in Europe, have experience with the provincial and federal government in an area related to global affairs/policy, currently volunteering with an organization in the international organization field, and I am a fellow for a NGO related to peace and social justice. Do you think I have a shot with Munk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2017 at 9:41 PM, sunshine18 said:

I'll be applying within the next few weeks and I am pretty nervous. My CGPA is an A- and my GPA is an A-. This semester was pretty shaky so I think my CGPA will be a B+. I studied abroad in Europe, have experience with the provincial and federal government in an area related to global affairs/policy, currently volunteering with an organization in the international organization field, and I am a fellow for a NGO related to peace and social justice. Do you think I have a shot with Munk?

Don't think anyone here can give you a definitive answer, but I think your chances are good. I was at the admissions event a few months ago, and they mentioned that anyone with a 3.7+ final year GPA is considered competitive. 

Also, hi everyone! I'm going to be applying to Munk this cycle too! :)

Edited by mppmgaapplicant2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2017 at 8:48 PM, mppmgaapplicant2018 said:

Don't think anyone here can give you a definitive answer, but I think your chances are good. I was at the admissions event a few months ago, and they mentioned that anyone with a 3.7+ final year GPA is considered competitive. 

Also, hi everyone! I'm going to be applying to Munk this cycle too! :)

Thanks for the reassurance. I got my grades back and I'm still at an A- average :) I guess I was just thinking very pessimistically ,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any info on the job prospects for those that graduate from Munk? I've done some research and I've noticed that although many graduates get internships at major international organizations (e.g. UN, World Bank, etc.) once they graduate they often work for small scale organizations or banks. Compared to NPSIA, many of the graduates go on working for Global Affairs Canada or other big-name departments or organizations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Submitted my application today! Now just have to wait until March to hear back...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The deadline closed yesterday. I guess the wait starts now! I'm shocked not a lot of people have been posting on here...it makes me wonder how many people applied to munk this year..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I submitted a while ago and it feels like forever until I hear back!

I'm a little nervous because I don't have that much experience in the international field or working with global institutions or government. 3.7 CGPA, 3.9 final year GPA, strong experience and high leadership roles in national charity organizations & campaigns, philanthropic work and university councils over the last four years. Currently working for a national NGO that deals with implementing sustainable food systems in Canada and works a lot with the government. I'm hoping the leadership experience will make up for the fact that I'm not that experienced in global endeavours or politics. Finger crossed and good luck to all! 

Edited by lily22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2018 at 12:18 PM, sunshine18 said:

Does anyone have any info on the job prospects for those that graduate from Munk? I've done some research and I've noticed that although many graduates get internships at major international organizations (e.g. UN, World Bank, etc.) once they graduate they often work for small scale organizations or banks. Compared to NPSIA, many of the graduates go on working for Global Affairs Canada or other big-name departments or organizations.

I asked a student who's currently at Munk, and while he did not have specific prospects, he said ~50% of MGA students end up in the private sector, ~25% in international organizations and the remaining ~25% in government. Hope that helps a little! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lily22 said:

I asked a student who's currently at Munk, and while he did not have specific prospects, he said ~50% of MGA students end up in the private sector, ~25% in international organizations and the remaining ~25% in government. Hope that helps a little! 

Ah okay. I read your stats and I think you have a good shot! What other programs are you applying to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sunshine18 said:

Ah okay. I read your stats and I think you have a good shot! What other programs are you applying to?

Thank you! I hope so. I am especially nervous because I lurked some kids who attend the MGA on LinkedIn and they are all these crazy incredible bilingual/trilingual students who have studied around the world and done amazing things with international governments and organizations. Just seems like my resume was very secluded (in a 'bubble') compared to these global students. 

To answer your question, nothing else related to global affairs. I've applied to two environmental studies & sustainability programs (that's the field I hope to get into with a global affairs degree), and 5 law schools in Ontario (that I would couple with an environmental studies degree). Quite honestly, if I got into both the MGA and law school, I would pick the MGA! 

What about you?

Edited by lily22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lily22 said:

Thank you! I hope so. I am especially nervous because I lurked some kids who attend the MGA on LinkedIn and they are all these crazy incredible bilingual/trilingual students who have studied around the world and done amazing things with international governments and organizations. Just seems like my resume was very secluded (in a 'bubble') compared to these global students. 

To answer your question, nothing else related to global affairs. I've applied to two environmental studies & sustainability programs (that's the field I hope to get into with a global affairs degree), and 5 law schools in Ontario (that I would couple with an environmental studies degree). Quite honestly, if I got into both the MGA and law school, I would pick the MGA! 

What about you?

Fascinating! Other than Munk, I applied to the School of Public Policy and Governance, NPSIA, and I am in the process of applying to a European university

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody applied to GSPIA as well? I am an international student from New York and saw that I was accepted last week to the program. Applied to Munk as well, which is my first choice! Also, so glad to see this thread!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 1/24/2018 at 6:48 AM, lily22 said:

I submitted a while ago and it feels like forever until I hear back!

I'm a little nervous because I don't have that much experience in the international field or working with global institutions or government. 3.7 CGPA, 3.9 final year GPA, strong experience and high leadership roles in national charity organizations & campaigns, philanthropic work and university councils over the last four years. Currently working for a national NGO that deals with implementing sustainable food systems in Canada and works a lot with the government. I'm hoping the leadership experience will make up for the fact that I'm not that experienced in global endeavours or politics. Finger crossed and good luck to all! 

I submitted mine on the 20th of Jan. Looking at last year and the year before's threads, I think I noticed that those with very strong gpas like yours were admitted to the Munk program (even though they did had little to no experience in the field). I am worried about my CGPA, which is 3.4 CGPA and 3.9 Final year GPA, however I do have a lot of experience working at the UNHQ and other international organizations. Good luck to everyone here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2018 at 2:52 PM, limbsun said:

 

I submitted mine on the 20th of Jan. Looking at last year and the year before's threads, I think I noticed that those with very strong gpas like yours were admitted to the Munk program (even though they did had little to no experience in the field). I am worried about my CGPA, which is 3.4 CGPA and 3.9 Final year GPA, however I do have a lot of experience working at the UNHQ and other international organizations. Good luck to everyone here!

I have read from multiple places that Munk heavily focuses on your last year's GPA - so your 3.9 would look great!

 

From reading the Munk 2017 thread, people didn't start hearing back until after March 10th. The wait begins... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lily22 said:

I have read from multiple places that Munk heavily focuses on your last year's GPA - so your 3.9 would look great!

 

From reading the Munk 2017 thread, people didn't start hearing back until after March 10th. The wait begins... 


Can confirm this. I've spoken with the admissions officials and they've have stated that the final year GPA is weighted more heavily than the CGPA.  The CGPA's of previous admitted classes tends to vary to a great degree - it ranges anywhere from 2.9's - 4.0's. The average final year GPA (of the admitted batches), though, tends to be in and around the 3.7 mark.

 

Good luck to everyone applying!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mppmgaapplicant2018 said:


Can confirm this. I've spoken with the admissions officials and they've have stated that the final year GPA is weighted more heavily than the CGPA.  The CGPA's of previous admitted classes tends to vary to a great degree - it ranges anywhere from 2.9's - 4.0's. The average final year GPA (of the admitted batches), though, tends to be in and around the 3.7 mark.

 

Good luck to everyone applying!

Good to know -- thank you. In the Munk application on the U of T site, it specifically asks for your final year 'grade'. Did you put your GPA or your final year average (percentage)? I put a percentage because they said "grade" instead of GPA..... err I hope that's what they wanted! I doubt they'll ding me for it but I get so paranoid with applications... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lily22 said:

Good to know -- thank you. In the Munk application on the U of T site, it specifically asks for your final year 'grade'. Did you put your GPA or your final year average (percentage)? I put a percentage because they said "grade" instead of GPA..... err I hope that's what they wanted! I doubt they'll ding me for it but I get so paranoid with applications... 

Here's your answer!

"Use your own institution’s grading scale. For example, if your institution uses a four-point scale, use that to calculate your average and indicate what scale you are using, e.g., 3.5/4. If your institution uses only percentage grades, enter your percentage grade, e.g., 78%."
 

So, basically, if your institution uses both scales, you could pick either one, it's fine. My institution uses both, and I used the GPA scale. 

Edited by mppmgaapplicant2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mppmgaapplicant2018 said:

Here's your answer!

"Use your own institution’s grading scale. For example, if your institution uses a four-point scale, use that to calculate your average and indicate what scale you are using, e.g., 3.5/4. If your institution uses only percentage grades, enter your percentage grade, e.g., 78%."
 

So, basically, if your institution uses both scales, you could pick either one, it's fine. My institution uses both, and I used the GPA scale. 

shoot, I just realized I didn;t put down a final year average. do you think they'd be able to calculate that themselves based on my transcript?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sunshine18 said:

shoot, I just realized I didn;t put down a final year average. do you think they'd be able to calculate that themselves based on my transcript?

 

12 minutes ago, sunshine18 said:

shoot, I just realized I didn;t put down a final year average. do you think they'd be able to calculate that themselves based on my transcript?

Do you think I should email them? I couldn't put down my final year average because I didn't get my fall grades back. I don't think I would be penalized because they can easily calculate it based on my transcript but still...

Edited by sunshine18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sunshine18 said:

 

Do you think I should email them? I couldn't put down my final year average because I didn't get my fall grades back. I don't think I would be penalized because they can easily calculate it based on my transcript but still...

Have you uploaded your latest transcript on SGS? If so, I think you're fine.

Additionally, you can change it manually too, I believe! Once you sign in into your online portal, there's a small link at the bottom which reads "Update Academic Background". Click on that and you should be able to update your GPA. I believe that should change the GPAs on your application too. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mppmgaapplicant2018 said:

Here's your answer!

"Use your own institution’s grading scale. For example, if your institution uses a four-point scale, use that to calculate your average and indicate what scale you are using, e.g., 3.5/4. If your institution uses only percentage grades, enter your percentage grade, e.g., 78%."
 

So, basically, if your institution uses both scales, you could pick either one, it's fine. My institution uses both, and I used the GPA scale. 

Phew - thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mppmgaapplicant2018 said:

Have you uploaded your latest transcript on SGS? If so, I think you're fine.

Additionally, you can change it manually too, I believe! Once you sign in into your online portal, there's a small link at the bottom which reads "Update Academic Background". Click on that and you should be able to update your GPA. I believe that should change the GPAs on your application too. 

 

Yes I have! Thank you sooo much. I was so worried!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone been accepted to uOttawa’s GSPIA? I got in about a week ago, and I’m looking for others to who have also been accepted. I guess it’s still very early in the game. 

For those worried about getting in, don’t sweat too much, my profile isn’t too impressive;

-3.6 CGPA 3.8 final year GPA in a bilingual BA

- 5 years military experience, two overseas tours

- Lots of volunteer and student leadership experience in undergrad (Model UN and student governemnt)

 

Good luck to all applicants, hope to share in your success soon. 

Cheers,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.