Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 2018-02-23 at 11:55 AM, BlndGeo said:

Someone in the results section of this website posted that they were accepted to the combined MGA and Public Policy degree on Feb 13th!

Hopefully this provides a glimmer of hope that results will come for MGA applicants early March rather than mid-later! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, 

I'm catching up on this thread and it's been a ride, I can tell you that 

I've applied to munk and npsia, I'm in my 4th year of honors spec. Political Science and major in Criminology. My gpa is 3.7, cGPA 3.3/4, fluent in English, Hebrew, and Arabic.

President of a Poli Sci affiliated club (Transitional Justice and Post-Conflict Reconstruction), middle management experience working on/running political campaigns federally and municipally, 3 years experience of internships and fellowships in Canadian advocacy/lobbying groups (CJPAC and CIJA).

Been stuck at under review for almost a month now, an experience I think were all sharing??

Does anyone have news, or are we all assuming that the middle of march acceptance is whats gonna happen.

 

Those who've been accepted and are current Munk students on this forum, please chime in if you get the chance. How am I looking, and when do you think we'll know more?

 

Thanks everyone, and fingers crossed,

Dean

 

good luck.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@deanlavi heyy, welcome to the thread! Your stats and work experience sound great. My main research interests also lie in post-conflict transformation. Is your 3.7 the gpa of your final year? I'm also stuck with "under review" for over a month already and I'm pretty sure others in the thread are too (it has been pretty quiet here). I have been checking sgs and starting to get anxious. Hopefully, we will all hear back early-mid March!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! New to the thread here!!! I completed my undergraduate studies last year, during which I had a 3.8 GPA during my final year. During university I did an data analytics internship in NYC through NYU, I was also an undergraduate teaching assistant during my last year :) Since university I have undergone a research internship through a think tank that focuses on the South China Sea, and since then I have been working with international students (doing immigration applications for them). My primary research interests revolve around maritime security policy!

 

Excited to see what this year brings :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2018 at 1:49 PM, limbsun said:

@deanlavi heyy, welcome to the thread! Your stats and work experience sound great. My main research interests also lie in post-conflict transformation. Is your 3.7 the gpa of your final year? I'm also stuck with "under review" for over a month already and I'm pretty sure others in the thread are too (it has been pretty quiet here). I have been checking sgs and starting to get anxious. Hopefully, we will all hear back early-mid March!

the 3.7 is from my first semester of this year, and it's awesome to know that someone else specializes in TJ. Hopefully we both get in and get the chance to work on projects re: post-conflict reconstruction at Munk!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My gut is telling me that we'll hear back from Munk on either the 15th or 16th this month...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Everyone. I’ve been a lurker for a while and just wanted to say hi! I’ve been accepted into npsia, but just wondering generally, what are your thoughts regarding munk vs npsia?

 

Thanks, and all the best !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scuderia said:

Hey Everyone. I’ve been a lurker for a while and just wanted to say hi! I’ve been accepted into npsia, but just wondering generally, what are your thoughts regarding munk vs npsia?

 

Thanks, and all the best !!!

Hey! I've been accepted into NPSIA as well. I have no word from Munk yet. Originally, Munk was my first choice, but the more I think about it, I'm starting to lean towards NPSIA. For me, I think being in Ottawa would provide me with a number of opportunities that I am not sure I would get in Toronto in terms of networking in the international relations field. At the same time, Munk has a really cool international internship program that's mandatory for all students and seems to be very well funded. Another thing I am torn about is the job prospects. A lot of people that graduate from NPSIA appear to work for Global Affairs Canada or other international organizations, however, I can't really find solid info on where graduates from Munk work. Although I believe someone in this thread said that the majority work in the private sector (??). I got funding from NPSIA, although my official acceptance is still being processed so I am not sure how much I got. Munk is known for being really expensive--so that's another factor I'll have to think about when deciding. Hopefully I get into Munk so I can decide which schools would be best for me and my career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sunshine18 said:

Hey! I've been accepted into NPSIA as well. I have no word from Munk yet. Originally, Munk was my first choice, but the more I think about it, I'm starting to lean towards NPSIA. For me, I think being in Ottawa would provide me with a number of opportunities that I am not sure I would get in Toronto in terms of networking in the international relations field. At the same time, Munk has a really cool international internship program that's mandatory for all students and seems to be very well funded. Another thing I am torn about is the job prospects. A lot of people that graduate from NPSIA appear to work for Global Affairs Canada or other international organizations, however, I can't really find solid info on where graduates from Munk work. Although I believe someone in this thread said that the majority work in the private sector (??). I got funding from NPSIA, although my official acceptance is still being processed so I am not sure how much I got. Munk is known for being really expensive--so that's another factor I'll have to think about when deciding. Hopefully I get into Munk so I can decide which schools would be best for me and my career.

Thanks for your insight! I always looked at NPSIA as a tried and true program, and Munk as a new program on the rise. It will be an interesting decision, should Munk accept us too. 

Wishing you all the best in your decision too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello fellow applicants (anxiously awaiting admissions decisions!).  Out of curiosity, has anyone else applied to the combined MGA/JD program?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been looking at old forums and people were saying that they were waitlisted in March. Does anyone know if that means the status is changed to waitlisted or are we noticed by email that this happening?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Aishab said:

I've been looking at old forums and people were saying that they were waitlisted in March. Does anyone know if that means the status is changed to waitlisted or are we noticed by email that this happening?

I think they are notified by email. At the moment, no one (to my knowledge) has been accepted yet because they are releasing acceptances mid-late march

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see thank you for the response :). I really don't think I am getting in and I kinda wish I applied for other places but oh well. Good luck everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just joining this thread now, took a while to catch up with it! I got my admission email on February 12 along with the fellowship document, most people are saying these are sent out at different times so I am not sure how they go about this! Just to give some context, I'm a current fourth year UofT student doing a double major in Political Science and Criminology, bilingual, final year GPA is 3.8, I have volunteer experience with a political party, part of Model UN, as well as an associate in the PSLA group on campus, also did a semester abroad. I accepted my offer on February 15. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hannah96 said:

Just joining this thread now, took a while to catch up with it! I got my admission email on February 12 along with the fellowship document, most people are saying these are sent out at different times so I am not sure how they go about this! Just to give some context, I'm a current fourth year UofT student doing a double major in Political Science and Criminology, bilingual, final year GPA is 3.8, I have volunteer experience with a political party, part of Model UN, as well as an associate in the PSLA group on campus, also did a semester abroad. I accepted my offer on February 15. 

Wow, congrats! Did you apply to a collaborative program? On the website it said they are releasing acceptances from mid-late march,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, sunshine18 said:

Wow, congrats! Did you apply to a collaborative program? On the website it said they are releasing acceptances from mid-late march,

Thank you! No, I didn't apply to a collaborative program and I also heard admission letters were sent out mid-March through the website as well as current students so I was very surprised when I received my acceptance. I wasn't expecting it until mid-March as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hannah96 said:

Just joining this thread now, took a while to catch up with it! I got my admission email on February 12 along with the fellowship document, most people are saying these are sent out at different times so I am not sure how they go about this! Just to give some context, I'm a current fourth year UofT student doing a double major in Political Science and Criminology, bilingual, final year GPA is 3.8, I have volunteer experience with a political party, part of Model UN, as well as an associate in the PSLA group on campus, also did a semester abroad. I accepted my offer on February 15. 

Congratulations! This is pretty surprising news. I don't think I've seen any past threads with an acceptance to the MGA-only program this early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, congrats to the people who have already heard from Munk or another university.

I'm really nervous. Maybe all the acceptances went out but not many of those people read these forums??!??!?!?!?! D: D: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bambing said:

Hello, congrats to the people who have already heard from Munk or another university.

I'm really nervous. Maybe all the acceptances went out but not many of those people read these forums??!??!?!?!?! D: D: 

Thats what I was thinking!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bambing said:

Hello, congrats to the people who have already heard from Munk or another university.

I'm really nervous. Maybe all the acceptances went out but not many of those people read these forums??!??!?!?!?! D: D: 

Perhaps call Munk to quell your nerves? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that the majority of acceptances have come out yet, because we all would have received news from them as well (refusals, waitlist). Last year they send the decisions out for everyone within two days. I'm assuming that the few people that have already heard back from Munk are applications with extremely competitive grades/ experiencs and Munk really wants them, therefore they were given early acceptance/ higher funding...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just received my offer of admission for Munk! I hope that many of you will also receive one. I hope this means they are rolling out admissions for everyone soon. All the best and I can't wait to see you in the fall should we accept!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scuderia said:

I just received my offer of admission for Munk! I hope that many of you will also receive one. I hope this means they are rolling out admissions for everyone soon. All the best and I can't wait to see you in the fall should we accept!

did you get an email?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.