Medieval Applicants (2018)

gnossienne n.3

You know, I once read a book on codicology from the 1990s which, among other things, lamented this "newfangled fad" of central heating. Apparently castles were ideal for parchment storage, and trying to regulate their temperature caused no end to the humidity balance issues. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FrankJEspin said:

Did you hear from Cambridge on funding? 

25 minutes ago, jos123 said:

Not yet. I don't think is gonna happen. What about you? Where are you going?

giphy.gif

22 hours ago, jos123 said:

Not yet. I don't think is gonna happen. What about you? Where are you going?

21 hours ago, telkanuru said:

giphy.gif

Haha! Probably Brown just because of that gif! 

So I have campus visits this week at Brown then Michigan and then I'll make up my mind. Leaning towards Brown though. 

Hey! Aspiring medievalist here. I have just been accepted to Trinity College Dublin for the Art History MPhil as well as to both the History and Art History MA programs at University College Dublin. I am American but my research interests brought me to applying for programs in Ireland.  I would like to expand upon the research I conducted for my undergraduate thesis, which focused on the possible Celtic influences on Mont-Saint-Michel. I am unsure as to whether I would like to ultimately go into curating or academia. I am almost sold on accepting Trinity's offer and applying for their Global Excellence Scholarship; however, the ARTH faculty at UCD has been incredibly inviting and even asked for a Skype interview, in which they proceeded to tell me how I would be a terrific fit. I believe they will offer at least partial funding, as the History program did. Help!! Have any American students had success with applying for funding at Trinity?  Should I just be content with the acceptance even if it is not on scholarship? Thankfully, full tuition is a small fraction of what it would cost in the US.... 

EDIT: I suppose I should add some details. Graduated in May 2017 with 3.98 GPA from a solid state school in NY with two majors, French and Art History, and two minors, Spanish and Museum Studies. I am fluent in French (passed C1 DALF exam following course at the Sorbonne), advanced in Spanish. I utilize both languages in my research. I have not yet taken the GRE. I am also wondering if an MPhil at Trinity would place me in decent standing for a PhD in the US? It appears Trinity is ranked fairly well worldwide but I would appreciate anyone's insight. Thank you.

Edited by Blackie95

11 hours ago, Blackie95 said:

EDIT: I suppose I should add some details. Graduated in May 2017 with 3.98 GPA from a solid state school in NY with two majors, French and Art History, and two minors, Spanish and Museum Studies. I am fluent in French (passed C1 DALF exam following course at the Sorbonne), advanced in Spanish. I utilize both languages in my research. I have not yet taken the GRE. I am also wondering if an MPhil at Trinity would place me in decent standing for a PhD in the US? It appears Trinity is ranked fairly well worldwide but I would appreciate anyone's insight. Thank you.

Congrats! I'm not a medievalist but have medievalist friends at very good schools and most of them did their MAs/MPhils in Europe--that doesn't mean it's better to study in Europe but in your field in particular, I doubt it would be a disadvantage. I personally think it's really useful to understand how academia works outside of the US and Trinity College is a good school (plenty of people--me, for instance--have been accepted into good US programs with MAs from totally unknown universities. Also why not just take the year or two abroad if you can afford it--to be able to do Celtic studies in Ireland seems enormously useful. 

Edited by OHSP

hi medievalistshas anyone heard back from Toronto's medieval studies MA programme? It's the last decision I'm waiting on. At this point I have better offers and would probably not go there. I know I might as well withdraw my application but I would also assume this late in the game they've already made their admissions decisions! Any insights?

3 hours ago, heloise said:

hi medievalistshas anyone heard back from Toronto's medieval studies MA programme? It's the last decision I'm waiting on. At this point I have better offers and would probably not go there. I know I might as well withdraw my application but I would also assume this late in the game they've already made their admissions decisions! Any insights?

They're usually pretty late. I only got my notice for PhD acceptance the first week of April, back in the day.

• 4 weeks later...