HKS 2018

Stacy_85

Hello,

Has anyone applied to HKS many times and got dinged? What should I do? I was admitted to MPA/MPP at other Ivies and other programs at Harvard (GSD and GSE). Since HKS is my dream school, I decided not to attend any program.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Edited by Stacy_85

Post your profile. If you applied several times and got dinged, there's probably something wrong with it. (At a guess, bad GRE scores or irrelevant work experience). GSE and GSD have completely different admissions criteria (duh, they're different programs) and are considered to be less competitive. 

Going to HKS won't significantly change your life, so if you're serious about a career in this field, I'd apply to programs where you can realistically get in with money and go to one of them. 

Is there any chance for someone who has below 3.0 GPA in grad school to get admission to MPP at HKS with extremely high professional and relevant experience? Thanks! 

Edited by MPP19

On 9/21/2017 at 11:49 PM, ExponentialDecay said:

Post your profile. If you applied several times and got dinged, there's probably something wrong with it. (At a guess, bad GRE scores or irrelevant work experience). GSE and GSD have completely different admissions criteria (duh, they're different programs) and are considered to be less competitive. 

Going to HKS won't significantly change your life, so if you're serious about a career in this field, I'd apply to programs where you can realistically get in with money and go to one of them. 

People got admitted to HKS with totally different background. So "irrelevant coursework" is not a reason not to be admitted at HKS. 

On 9/20/2017 at 7:52 PM, Stacy_85 said:

Hello,

Has anyone applied to HKS many times and got dinged? What should I do? I was admitted to MPA/MPP at other Ivies and other programs at Harvard (GSD and GSE). Since HKS is my dream school, I decided not to attend any program.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I had a classmate at Yale SOM who was in the same boat for a few years.  (SOM was a little weirder then, so she really didn't want any other business school.)  I don't know what caused admissions to cave in and admit her.

For something like HKS, which is sort of analogous, I would suspect that if your grades and scores are over some minimum, you may either have irrelevant or insufficient experience-- OR, more likely, you haven't figured out how to sell it and yourself as a good fit for whatever you would do at HKS.

Edited by Concordia

3 minutes ago, Concordia said:

I had a classmate at Yale SOM who was in the same boat.  (SOM was a little weirder then, so she really didn't want any other business school.)  I don't know what caused admissions to cave in and admit her.

For something like HKS, which is sort of analogous, I would suspect that if your grades and scores are over some minimum, you may either have irrelevant or insufficient experience-- OR, more likely, you haven't figured out how to sell it and yourself as a good fit for whatever you would do at HKS.

HKS has optional essay. So you think giving a fair reason for low grades will help? And HKS says they don't have clear cut offs for gpa. 

Edited by MPP19

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what little I can see of your intents, it seems like you lack focus. How did I arrive at this conclusion?

1. You mentioned that you were accepted into other programs of similar study, which indicates that you do have some background in public policy or some vested idea of what you want to do. In other words, your application's not completely out of left field.

2. Your acceptance to the Graduate School of Education as well as the Graduate School of Design indicate that you're not sure where to go, but you want to go to Harvard. In other words, you sound like you seek the external validation that Harvard Kennedy School can provide.

HKS values two things: impact and focus. You need to tell them, very specifically, what it is that you want to do and how you plan on doing that.

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, brown queer said:

how much of a deal breaker is less than 2 years of work experience? with a good narrative in the essay and clear cut plans for career after HKS?

is it advisable to send more LORs than asked for?

Its not a deal breaker. The average work experience at HKS is between 2 and 3 years. So that tells you plenty of people are below that. But as you well stated, you need a well-crafted narrative.

No. Only send as many LORs as requested. How you choose the 3 people who will recommend you among all your contacts is also something that says a lot about you.

Been a long time coming, but I finally submitted an application. I doubt I get in this time, but the experience of applying alone was worth it. I'll be submitting to WWS, SIPA, and Sanford as well. We'll see how it goes!

Best of luck to everyone!

Applied to the MPP program. I don't have any illusions as my GPA was not stellar and even if I get in financing will be difficult, but I'm glad I applied anyway. Anyone here have any tips on third-party scholarships/fellowships/grants? Looking at the financial aid app now and I'm starting to more fully realize there's no way I can pay to go to HKS without massive help lol

Edited by Jamesvsteel

On 12/5/2017 at 3:52 AM, Damis said:

Been a long time coming, but I finally submitted an application. I doubt I get in this time, but the experience of applying alone was worth it. I'll be submitting to WWS, SIPA, and Sanford as well. We'll see how it goes!

Best of luck to everyone!

Doesn't the Stanford program require an offer from another Stanford school?

13 hours ago, frankfurtercardozo said:

Doesn't the Stanford program require an offer from another Stanford school?

I'm sorry if I confused! I'll be applying to Duke's Sanford School of Public Policy.

Sorry, my bad. I thought you meant Stanford. They have this annoying requirement that I am trying to find a way around. 

"Applications for graduate study in Public Policy are accepted only from students currently enrolled in any Stanford graduate degree program or from external applicants seeking a joint degree. Coterminal M.A. or M.S. students in any program are eligible to apply to the M.P.P. program once they complete one quarter of coterminal study, using the Graduate Program Authorization Petition for this purpose.

External applicants for joint degrees must apply to the department or school offering the other graduate degree (i.e., Ph.D., M.A., M.S., M.B.A., or J.D.), indicating an interest in the joint degree program; applicants admitted to the other degree program are then evaluated for admission to the M.P.P. or M.A. program."

https://web.stanford.edu/dept/registrar/bulletin1112/69277.htm

Does anyone else still have an "incomplete" application? It says they are missing my GRE scores, but I paid for ETS to send the scores at the beginning of November. Should I be concerned or, per the earlier blog posts, is this just the lag in checking applications?