HKS 2018

Stacy_85

9 hours ago, MPA__Applicant said:

Same here! My GRE section in HKS app is incomplete, while WWS already got my scores. I just requested ETS to send score to WWS last week, but sent to HKS long time ago. Should I be worried?

I'm surprised at how quickly WWS received my scores, just a couple of dates after I ordered them! 

• 3 weeks later...

Lol. But the admissions blog is really active. HKS seems to be the only one giving such detailed information regarding the process. One observation: the financial aid deadline last year was Feb 24th. It has been advanced to jan 24th this year. Does that mean that the financial aid decision will come with the admissions decision rather than in early April like last year? 

Yeah, I also think that the financial aid decision will come early. But obviously only the god or Mr . Matt knows that for sure. 

People are not active in the thread but after the results are declared they will sprout like mushroom just to type "Selected".

Agree that moving up the Financial Aid deadline to end-of-Jan and including it with any admissions decisions is smart for this season. Lots of business schools manage their decisions that way, and I would think really helps to manage the emotional roller coaster of the "I'm in, now what" for those students lucky enough to get in. 

Included a screen-grab from one of the Fall Financial Aid webinars below to validate that Admissions + Financial Aid decisions should hopefully come in tandem in mid-March 

HKS Finanical Aid Timeline.JPG

On 25/09/2017 at 3:56 AM, MPP19 said:

Is there any chance for someone who has below 3.0 GPA in grad school to get admission to MPP at HKS with extremely high professional and relevant experience? Thanks! 

I had a shit undergrad GPA (haven't done grad school) but have a long CV working for 10 years, including building my own startup in international development. I'm effectively mid-career but applied to the 2-year MPP. I am nervous about my GPA being a deal breaker, and did 310 for GRE (which is OK I hear but not super competitive for HKS). Fingers crossed.

If anyone has stories to share in response to MPP19's post, I'd love to hear them as well.

On 1/22/2018 at 6:23 AM, Bernise said:

I had a shit undergrad GPA (haven't done grad school) but have a long CV working for 10 years, including building my own startup in international development. I'm effectively mid-career but applied to the 2-year MPP. I am nervous about my GPA being a deal breaker, and did 310 for GRE (which is OK I hear but not super competitive for HKS). Fingers crossed.

If anyone has stories to share in response to MPP19's post, I'd love to hear them as well.

HKS loves movers and shakers. 10 years working (on projects of public interest, that is) and a startup will be so much more relevant than GPA and GRE. As the LoRs reinforce your entrepreneurship, character, intellectual capability, etc, you should be competitive. if they accept you and by any chance happen to offer you the 2-year MPA instead of the MPP, take it. MPP core classes are brutal and MPA is much more flexible and way more interesting for someone who would rather hone in their skills instead of slaving over regressions.

On 1/22/2018 at 12:23 PM, Bernise said:

I'm also an MPP applicant in my lower 30's (career shift from the military). I probably would've gone for the MPA had I not lacked the graduate level pre-req's. Did you have a different reason for choosing the MPP?

@drumroll, have you heard if it's extremely rare for the adcom to offer an older MPP-applicant admission into the MPA? I can't imagine they would in my case considering the lack of pre-req's, but one can hope!

9 hours ago, Tk2356 said:

I'm also an MPP applicant in my lower 30's (career shift from the military). I probably would've gone for the MPA had I not lacked the graduate level pre-req's. Did you have a different reason for choosing the MPP?

@drumroll, have you heard if it's extremely rare for the adcom to offer an older MPP-applicant admission into the MPA? I can't imagine they would in my case considering the lack of pre-req's, but one can hope!

I don't know how frequent it is, I only know that such occurrences have happened in the past.

Hey everyone,

fellow MPA applicant here. I have followed the forum for some time now and felt it was time to chime in with our choir of high hopes. I read last years HKS thread and have to admit that my blood pressure rose in sympathy as the thread developed up to the revelation of results. Five weeks to go!

By the way: Do you think Matt & his minio...err...team are following this forum?

Cheerio,

G

1 hour ago, CFGauß said:

Hey everyone,

fellow MPA applicant here. I have followed the forum for some time now and felt it was time to chime in with our choir of high hopes. I read last years HKS thread and have to admit that my blood pressure rose in sympathy as the thread developed up to the revelation of results. Five weeks to go!

By the way: Do you think Matt & his minio...err...team are following this forum?

Cheerio,

G

That’s why we are all using pseudonyms!?? Feb is gonna be a dull month. But blood pressure is gonna shoot up big time come March! 

Pseudonyms? Why I am actually the German mathematician ;)

December came and went. Same for early January. But now that I know when decisions will likely be send out, time seems to have slowed down by a significant factor...:wacko:

4 hours ago, CFGauß said:

Hey everyone,

Cheerio,

G

I've been lurking here off and on for years. A while back, one of the admission Chairs for the MPA program actually posted a few messages on the Board. I bet his PM mailbox was full after that! Haha.

So to answer your question, I think they do glance every now and then, but likely nothing substantive can be gleaned from us folk.

Found this on their Tumblr. Does this apply to fall grades? I wanted to send my updated transcript...

Question: Can I submit additional information regarding my candidacy?

While we understand that applicants continue to engage in work and activities, receive recognition for work performed, earn scholarships, etc., we are unable to add additional information or updated documents (such as an updated resume or scholarship award notification) to an application file. 

14 hours ago, lackey said:

Found this on their Tumblr. Does this apply to fall grades? I wanted to send my updated transcript...

Question: Can I submit additional information regarding my candidacy?

While we understand that applicants continue to engage in work and activities, receive recognition for work performed, earn scholarships, etc., we are unable to add additional information or updated documents (such as an updated resume or scholarship award notification) to an application file. 

Yes, it applies to transcript too.