HKS 2018

Stacy_85

6 minutes ago, Damis said:

$33k per year for me!

$33K Presidential Scholarship + $50K outside scholarship I have per year...full ride!

I still can't believe it! Wow. 

Good luck to everyone!

Wow — congrats!!! 

11 minutes ago, wittgensteinsbladder said:

No funding. Is there reallllly no room for negotiation?

I thought that was really odd as well.   I assumed it was for a reason and probably won't push it.

I know they are up front about not giving out aid - but I have always struggled to reconcile how a school with a $1.2 billion endowment and barely more than 1,000 students struggles to give out aid.  If they can manage 5% on the endowment, that will cover $60 million of expenses.  I'm sure I come across as bitter, but I had these questions before being 'awarded' nothing.

6 minutes ago, KMA0255 said:

I thought that was really odd as well.   I assumed it was for a reason and probably won't push it.

I know they are up front about not giving out aid - but I have always struggled to reconcile how a school with a $1.2 billion endowment and barely more than 1,000 students struggles to give out aid.  If they can manage 5% on the endowment, that will cover $60 million of expenses.  I'm sure I come across as bitter, but I had these questions before being 'awarded' nothing.

The aid packages on offer are not HKS specific

15 minutes ago, datik said:

The aid packages on offer are not HKS specific

Than make the endowment $40 billion instead of $1.  I know there are restrictions etc but the math doesn't add up in my mind.  Regardless, congrats to those who fared better! Enjoy HKS; I'm sure you'll have an amazing experience! 

23 minutes ago, Prester John said:

No funding! Made the choice of Princeton easy!?

Yes, same here. WWS all the way. MC/MPA admit and CPL finalist who got no funding in the end - just loans. I've emailed my HKS financial aid counselor regarding my WWS offer, but I'm not expecting that Harvard will match anything. Harvard was very generous to me as an undergrad, so I'm not going to hate on it. Unfortunately the professional schools are clearly a different model when it comes to financial aid and scholarships.

19 minutes ago, pubpol123 said:

Yep, no funding here either (MPP). Really struggling with whether it's worth the $$, when I know I'll be going into the public/NGO sector. Frankly, its probably not.

I'm in the same situation and thinking the same thing. What other options are you considering beyond HKS?

GSPP ($15K for the first year) and Harris for MSCAPP ($30K for both years). Will likely negotiate between both schools to get more $$. But honestly, GSPP has so many great TA/RA opportunities that save so much $$ that it seems like it'll be the cheapest by far.

How about you?

Nice - congrats on those programs!! I have fully funded offers from GSPIA's MPIA program, Maxwell MPIA, and the Bush School MIA. I got into HKS and Georgetown MSFS with no funding, and while those are higher ranked I just don't think I can justify giving up fully funded offers. 

This isn’t a salty post at all but I don’t know how they cannot do a rational analysis of the relevance of financial aid to offer acceptance. Someone on the forum earlier said every year HKS loses bright students to WWS because of releasing financial aid late, and they don’t want that. But how does preponing financial aid timeline make a difference if they are not serious about how no funding delegitimises the feeling of admission altogether? Even a simple cognitive perspective on this would reveal the same.

For a school as meticulous as HKS, they really do fall behind on correlating aid with the class quality. If I attend the school, I’m going to raise this (humbly) with the admissions office. 

No funding for me either. Applying for external ones though.

PS: I am browsing through the forum reading news of all those who received fellowships, and frantically liking all your posts because I’m super super happy for you all! Congrats @tropisk_winter @2018Hopeful and others I cant recall of the top of my memory as I type this. Will see you all shining there if I attend this year. ❤️

Yeah, I am just really wary of programs that say they want to train folks who are interested in "giving back", but then charge $100K+ to do so. It seems to a bit (slash very) hypocritical.

(and agree--congrats to all with fellowships!!)

Edited by pubpol123

I got accepted to MC/MPA with no funding. I have 170K personal savings. I'll return to my current compay after graduation, at least for several years. But I'm wondering if HKS pays which will consume 1 year and 120K, though my next career target is an international organization. mmm......

Hi friends,

I have been a silent observer, and found the threads immensely useful in the journey. Need your inputs. I am an international student from India with 6-7 years of experience as an entrepreneur in climate change & livelihoods. Currently in a quite senior role in an top Indian e-commerce company and paid $70K+ and have current offers of $100K+ in India.

I have been admitted to HKS (0 funding), SIPA ($48K funding + better opportunities of internship & TA) & Harris.

I have some personal savings which can cover my living costs, but in a really big confusion of what to do? I believe with scholarship, internship & TA opportunities, I will not have to take a loan to study at SIPA. But to study at Harvard will have to take loan of around $100K. I am also married and will be moving in with my wife (she is one of the verge of completing her PhD, and would be looking out for Post Doctoral opportunities in US) 

I am pretty much sorted but just that is the Harvard brand worth the loan? I believe SIPA will give me similar opportunities and nothing will not restrict for not being at Harvard, but just the overall name and childhood aspirations of Harvard is making me think! 

Hello people,

I am from India, 26 years old. I have been admitted to MPP/MPA programmes at Harris ($65k aid), SIPA ($70k aid), HKS (no aid) and Goldman (no aid).

My aim right after graduation is to work for US media for at least a few years before returning to India. If not the US media, I'll settle for a consulting firm or a think-tank in US. As things stand currently, my first choice is Harris. But I am confused whether the Harvard brand makes it worth the loan, or whether SIPA's location and its journalism school would provide me better opportunities in the media.

Can someone please help?