SSHRC Doctoral Award/CGS (funding for 2018-2019)

PsychBoy

I know this has been discussed before, but does anyone know exactly how U of T deals with clawback and SSHRC awards?  Is the guaranteed funding reduced by the entirety of the award (and does that include tuition)?

7 minutes ago, PsychBoy said:

I got a replied back. She specified that i got the JOSEPH-ARMAND BOMBARDIER! For those one the waitlist, I will be declining the scholarship because I got the Vanier. Hope this can help!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Congrats!

I'm going crazy waiting to hear. My mail delivery will probably end up being delayed considering all the roads around my house are closed due to flooding. :(

I got word from my awards office that I was waitlisted for sshrc. Does anyone know what the waitlist is like and how common it is to receive the award off of the waitlist? Hoping to know so I can either maintain my hopes or prepare for disappointment. thanks

6 minutes ago, mosquitonomics said:

I got word from my awards office that I was waitlisted for sshrc. Does anyone know what the waitlist is like and how common it is to receive the award off of the waitlist? Hoping to know so I can either maintain my hopes or prepare for disappointment. thanks

I think you have a good shot if someone won the Vanier. Depends what school you're at and committee, I think?

I've been waitlisted twice without getting it. I don't know how common it is to receive it after being waitlisted. There are probably many factors but, anecdotally, if I'm waitlisted a third time, I won't be holding my breath:)

This is not on the topic of news about getting a SSHRC, but in my anxiety I had one question: Does not winning a SSHRC at any point in doctoral studies significantly harm your chances of getting a tenured position after university? Is there an immediate discrimination against non-SSHRC winners?

22 minutes ago, JimBob1 said:

This is not on the topic of news about getting a SSHRC, but in my anxiety I had one question: Does not winning a SSHRC at any point in doctoral studies significantly harm your chances of getting a tenured position after university? Is there an immediate discrimination against non-SSHRC winners?

I've seen tenure-track faculty (this is in sociology and women's studies) not have SSHRC, but to compensate they have done many conferences and have some publications under their belt. If you have other awards like OGS that could help you. I mean, you could always apply for a SSHRC Post-doc fellowship down the line...

36 minutes ago, JimBob1 said:

From my understanding, what universities care about is your publication record, ability to continue to do research, and ability to teach and serve the university. These factors are much more important than whether you had specific fellowships. However, fellowships are often an early indicator of success in these areas. Best of luck to everyone waiting for results!

25 minutes ago, CrazyPugLady said:

Welp, I got the response from another person in our graduate awards department.

I wasn't even waitlisted at Carleton. Flat out rejected! I don't know my scoring, so when I do I'll update.

I was just rejected, no waitlist. Devastated 

Ugh I finally tracked down the contact info for the person responsible for graduate scholarships and the office is closed for the weekend. I'm hoping they'll contact me Monday if I get it considering the deadline for an internal scholarship (which I should get since my application made it to Ottawa) is Tuesday. 

Edited by FacelessMage

Hi all - I got news from scholarship office that I was awarded CGS - It doesn't feel real so I look forward to the official letter. I'm shocked - I was in committee 5 I believe which is economics, business, poli sci, and I have no publications and only one conference and one guest lecture. I'm guessing it was successful only due to project relevance to the SSHRC mandate and a few academic awards. Good luck to those who haven't heard, and to those who were unsuccessful - its luck of the draw who gets to review your application so try not to beat yourself up. I consider myself to be very lucky - luck and privilege more than skill I'd say. Will update with my scores once I get official letter.

1 hour ago, CrazyPugLady said:

Welp, I got the response from another person in our graduate awards department.

I wasn't even waitlisted at Carleton. Flat out rejected! I don't know my scoring, so when I do I'll update.

WHAT?! Nooooo I was rooting for you @CrazyPugLady !

How can you be nominated for Vanier and not even be waitlisted for a SSHRC doctoral award?!

I'm sad!!

3 hours ago, mosquitonomics said:

I'm in the same boat, I heard back today that I've been waitlisted.  I'm wondering if anyone on here has received it after being waitlisted?

1 hour ago, UnlikelyGrad4 said:

Hi all - I got news from scholarship office that I was awarded CGS - It doesn't feel real so I look forward to the official letter. I'm shocked - I was in committee 5 I believe which is economics, business, poli sci, and I have no publications and only one conference and one guest lecture. I'm guessing it was successful only due to project relevance to the SSHRC mandate and a few academic awards. Good luck to those who haven't heard, and to those who were unsuccessful - its luck of the draw who gets to review your application so try not to beat yourself up. I consider myself to be very lucky - luck and privilege more than skill I'd say. Will update with my scores once I get official letter.

Congratulations! Did you contact them yourself first? Or did they email you on their own? (Fellow uvic student here!)

52 minutes ago, circus said:

Congratulations! Did you contact them yourself first? Or did they email you on their own? (Fellow uvic student here!)

I am also a uvic student. I emailed Yvonne Rondeau @ scholoff@uvic.ca   and she let me know my results within an hour. I'm not sure if it is too late today but it is worth a try. Best of luck. I know they forwarded 46 of us to the national competition. :)

2 hours ago, UnlikelyGrad4 said:

Congrats! That is great to hear. I was committee 4 and waitlisted. 

Hello everyone and congrats to those who already have their successful results. Anyone hear from SFU hear today about results? I'm trying not to get ahead of myself or read anything into it, I did not email SFU's office today though as their correspondence about the application advancing through last January did specify I'd find out via regular mail. 

4 hours ago, PsychBoy said:

WHAT?! Nooooo I was rooting for you @CrazyPugLady !

How can you be nominated for Vanier and not even be waitlisted for a SSHRC doctoral award?!

I'm sad!!

Your support means a lot! I am sad too. Gonna go mope about it at home, lol.

I won OGS I guess... I will take my Vanier waitlist as a loss because I doubt at this point until the next fiscal year (March 2019) that 3 people from SSHRC Vanier will drop.