SSHRC Doctoral Award/CGS (funding for 2018-2019)

PsychBoy

Anyone apply for the DFSA?  Only one week left of waiting after all of these months!  Fingers crossed and best of luck to all of you.

On 4/7/2018 at 3:40 PM, PsychBoy said:

yeah I know they meant a scholarship 

they wrote doctoral so it's unlikely the CGS-M?

Sometimes first year doctoral students can apply for CGSM, I know someone doing this for NSERC. It depends if they did a masters and whether they are still eligible. So seems impossible, but it could be the case.

I haven't heard back and (I think) nobody from my department yet (I am in the Toronto area). I guess we should receive the letter any day in the next two weeks but most likely closer to the end of the month. 

12 hours ago, Sarah P said:

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has received a letter response yet from SSHRC? or know when the results will be announced?

nothing!

19 hours ago, Sarah P said:

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has received a letter response yet from SSHRC? or know when the results will be announced?

Nothing yet! Friends from other departments haven't received their letter either. (British Columbia)

12 hours ago, _Dreamer_ said:

I haven't heard back and (I think) nobody from my department yet (I am in the Toronto area). I guess we should receive the letter any day in the next two weeks but most likely closer to the end of the month. 

Hopefully soon!

Does anyone know how the ranking system works?

On 2018-04-09 at 11:07 PM, DataCrusader said:

Did anyone here apply for the 3M National Student Fellowship? The STLHE announced that we’ll hear back by April 15!

I heard about this award, I thought of applying but was unsure. Did you get it?

29 minutes ago, UnlikelyGrad4 said:

It looks like previous years' result letters were sent out between April 23-28, so it is unlikely we will see them until closer to early May. :(

Ugh, I'm on vacation that week, and I know I'm going to be consumed with thinking about it. :(

2 hours ago, YuzuCat said:

That's brutal. Even the masters have heard back already...

Masters SSHRC/CGS results are sent automatically via email on April 1st (as with Vanier), whereas the Ph.D. results are sent by regular snail mail. They're different competitions with different adjudication and administrative processes and timelines.

According to some veteran Ph.D. students in my department and from my experience with colleagues at different universities across the country, the Ph.D. results have pretty consistently only been released at the end of the month of April. I suppose that if you live in Vancouver, up North, or in the U.S., etc., the letter will take longer to arrive from Ottawa as well. I'd say that it's safe to assume that we won't hear anything until the week of April 30th. Anything earlier will just be a welcome surprise :). 

3 hours ago, BibliophileSW said:

I'm still waiting for my letter. Checking the mail every day and always hoping it'll be THE day I get the letter. I want a SSHRC so badly!! 

FYI, SSHRC will tweet out when they post the letters, so you'll have some advanced warning! 

Edited by FacelessMage

Hi everyone. I've heard mixed news about the way SSHRC doctoral results will be communicated. Another PhD recently noted that successful results are usually communicated by email, and rejections by mail. This didn't sound quite right... Does anyone know how results (successful and/or unsuccessful) will be communicated?

(And, from reading posts in this forum, I see I should I expect to receive results around end of April! It's a hard wait!)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Nic_9281 said:

Hi everyone. I've heard mixed news about the way SSHRC doctoral results will be communicated. Another PhD recently noted that successful results are usually communicated by email, and rejections by mail. This didn't sound quite right... Does anyone know how results (successful and/or unsuccessful) will be communicated?

(And, from reading posts in this forum, I see I should I expect to receive results around end of April! It's a hard wait!)

Thanks!

To my knowledge, the only reason a doctoral applicant would be informed by email is if their graduate scholarship office informs them of the news (for both successful or unsuccessful applicants). However, the scholarship office usually doesn't get the results any earlier than they are sent out by mail either. Many universities choose not to email results to applicants when they receive the list and instead make everyone wait until they receive the results in the mail. So all SSHRC doctoral/CGS applicants are informed of their results by mail, unless their university gets the info to them via email between the time their letter is sent to when it arrives. Other SSHRC competitions have different notification systems, so SSHRC MA students may find out via email or the portal. 

Hey everyone! 

I emailed SSHRC a few weeks ago and this is what they said: 

"The results will be mailed the last week of April 2018 by mail only". So guess everyone should double check what address they wrote on the application! Good luck everyone! 

8 minutes ago, Plunk said:

Hey everyone! 

I emailed SSHRC a few weeks ago and this is what they said: 

"The results will be mailed the last week of April 2018 by mail only". So guess everyone should double check what address they wrote on the application! Good luck everyone! 

Thank you so much for this.

Having been through this once already - some people may hear from their grad studies/departments by email but that is highly variable (I received a salt-in-my-wounds email notice from grad studies to let me know about my rejection a week AFTER I got my letter). And, yes SSHRC will tweet when they mail the results. Also, I am in BC and last year I received my letter from SSHRC a week and a half before my friend in Toronto got theirs - so distance is not a good predictor for when your mail will arrive.

To those who are really anxious: It's always an anxiety-inducing process so my advice is to just distract yourself as much as possible until your letter arrives. Beyond the financial aspects, it can feel like the be all and end all in terms of validation, but it is not - I was pleased to meet a few Canadian professors this past year who never got a doctoral SSHRC grant and of course they are all excellent researchers and educators. So take heart, keep calm and good luck!

Today I heard of a workaround to see if an application was successful before we get the physical letters.

On the SSHRC Portal after you log in, under the "create new form" link, there is the option to apply for the "Canada Graduate Scholarships - Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements" grant. Only CGS holders are eligible to apply to this grant. Therefore, its presence should indicate that an application was successful.

We can test this theory out if there are applicants who it does not appear for. Can everyone please check their profiles for this grant?

25 minutes ago, lithicboi said:

Today I heard of a workaround to see if an application was successful before we get the physical letters.

On the SSHRC Portal after you log in, under the "create new form" link, there is the option to apply for the "Canada Graduate Scholarships - Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements" grant. Only CGS holders are eligible to apply to this grant. Therefore, its presence should indicate that an application was successful.

We can test this theory out if there are applicants who it does not appear for. Can everyone please check their profiles for this grant?

Clever! I hope you're right because I see that grant available in my portal. Hahaha.