Jump to content

SSHRC Doctoral Award/CGS (funding for 2018-2019)


Recommended Posts

 I know this has been discussed before, but does anyone know exactly how U of T deals with clawback and SSHRC awards?  Is the guaranteed funding reduced by the entirety of the award (and does that include tuition)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just want to send out some good vibes to everyone participating in this forum. I found this thread extremely supportive in such an emotionally charged time. So thank you to all of you! To those

On a related note: I find that practice in poor taste. Emailing successful candidates ahead of time is poor decorum. Maybe that is just me, but doesn't feel right. All final applicants should rec

Hey all - my partner just called me to let me know that my letter arrived in the mail today (I'm at the University of Ottawa, living in Ottawa, which is likely why it came so fast). I got the two-year

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, PsychBoy said:

I got a replied back. She specified that i got the JOSEPH-ARMAND BOMBARDIER! For those one the waitlist, I will be declining the scholarship because I got the Vanier. Hope this can help!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Congrats!

I'm going crazy waiting to hear. My mail delivery will probably end up being delayed considering all the roads around my house are closed due to flooding. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got word from my awards office that I was waitlisted for sshrc. Does anyone know what the waitlist is like and how common it is to receive the award off of the waitlist? Hoping to know so I can either maintain my hopes or prepare for disappointment. thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mosquitonomics said:

I got word from my awards office that I was waitlisted for sshrc. Does anyone know what the waitlist is like and how common it is to receive the award off of the waitlist? Hoping to know so I can either maintain my hopes or prepare for disappointment. thanks

I think you have a good shot if someone won the Vanier. Depends what school you're at and committee, I think?

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not on the topic of news about getting a SSHRC, but in my anxiety I had one question: Does not winning a SSHRC at any point in doctoral studies significantly harm your chances of getting a tenured position after university? Is there an immediate discrimination against non-SSHRC winners?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JimBob1 said:

This is not on the topic of news about getting a SSHRC, but in my anxiety I had one question: Does not winning a SSHRC at any point in doctoral studies significantly harm your chances of getting a tenured position after university? Is there an immediate discrimination against non-SSHRC winners?

I've seen tenure-track faculty (this is in sociology and women's studies) not have SSHRC, but to compensate they have done many conferences and have some publications under their belt. If you have other awards like OGS that could help you. I mean, you could always apply for a SSHRC Post-doc fellowship down the line...

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, JimBob1 said:

This is not on the topic of news about getting a SSHRC, but in my anxiety I had one question: Does not winning a SSHRC at any point in doctoral studies significantly harm your chances of getting a tenured position after university? Is there an immediate discrimination against non-SSHRC winners?

From my understanding, what universities care about is your publication record, ability to continue to do research, and ability to teach and serve the university. These factors are much more important than whether you had specific fellowships. However, fellowships are often an early indicator of success in these areas. Best of luck to everyone waiting for results!

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CrazyPugLady said:

Welp, I got the response from another person in our graduate awards department.

I wasn't even waitlisted at Carleton. Flat out rejected! I don't know my scoring, so when I do I'll update.

I was just rejected, no waitlist. Devastated 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh I finally tracked down the contact info for the person responsible for graduate scholarships and the office is closed for the weekend. I'm hoping they'll contact me Monday if I get it considering the deadline for an internal scholarship (which I should get since my application made it to Ottawa) is Tuesday. 

Edited by FacelessMage
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all - I got news from scholarship office that I was awarded CGS - It doesn't feel real so I look forward to the official letter. I'm shocked - I was in committee 5 I believe which is economics, business, poli sci, and I have no publications and only one conference and one guest lecture. I'm guessing it was successful only due to project relevance to the SSHRC mandate and a few academic awards. Good luck to those who haven't heard, and to those who were unsuccessful - its luck of the draw who gets to review your application so try not to beat yourself up. I consider myself to be very lucky - luck and privilege more than skill I'd say. Will update with my scores once I get official letter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrazyPugLady said:

Welp, I got the response from another person in our graduate awards department.

I wasn't even waitlisted at Carleton. Flat out rejected! I don't know my scoring, so when I do I'll update.

WHAT?! Nooooo I was rooting for you @CrazyPugLady !

How can you be nominated for Vanier and not even be waitlisted for a SSHRC doctoral award?!

I'm sad!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mosquitonomics said:

I got word from my awards office that I was waitlisted for sshrc. Does anyone know what the waitlist is like and how common it is to receive the award off of the waitlist? Hoping to know so I can either maintain my hopes or prepare for disappointment. thanks

I'm in the same boat, I heard back today that I've been waitlisted.  I'm wondering if anyone on here has received it after being waitlisted?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UnlikelyGrad4 said:

Hi all - I got news from scholarship office that I was awarded CGS - It doesn't feel real so I look forward to the official letter. I'm shocked - I was in committee 5 I believe which is economics, business, poli sci, and I have no publications and only one conference and one guest lecture. I'm guessing it was successful only due to project relevance to the SSHRC mandate and a few academic awards. Good luck to those who haven't heard, and to those who were unsuccessful - its luck of the draw who gets to review your application so try not to beat yourself up. I consider myself to be very lucky - luck and privilege more than skill I'd say. Will update with my scores once I get official letter.

Congratulations! Did you contact them yourself first? Or did they email you on their own? (Fellow uvic student here!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, circus said:

Congratulations! Did you contact them yourself first? Or did they email you on their own? (Fellow uvic student here!)

I am also a uvic student. I emailed Yvonne Rondeau @ scholoff@uvic.ca   and she let me know my results within an hour. I'm not sure if it is too late today but it is worth a try. Best of luck. I know they forwarded 46 of us to the national competition. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UnlikelyGrad4 said:

Hi all - I got news from scholarship office that I was awarded CGS - It doesn't feel real so I look forward to the official letter. I'm shocked - I was in committee 5 I believe which is economics, business, poli sci, and I have no publications and only one conference and one guest lecture. I'm guessing it was successful only due to project relevance to the SSHRC mandate and a few academic awards. Good luck to those who haven't heard, and to those who were unsuccessful - its luck of the draw who gets to review your application so try not to beat yourself up. I consider myself to be very lucky - luck and privilege more than skill I'd say. Will update with my scores once I get official letter.

Congrats! That is great to hear. I was committee 4 and waitlisted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone and congrats to those who already have their successful results. Anyone hear from SFU hear today about results? I'm trying not to get ahead of myself or read anything into it, I did not email SFU's office today though as their correspondence about the application advancing through last January did specify I'd find out via regular mail. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PsychBoy said:

WHAT?! Nooooo I was rooting for you @CrazyPugLady !

How can you be nominated for Vanier and not even be waitlisted for a SSHRC doctoral award?!

I'm sad!!

Your support means a lot! I am sad too. Gonna go mope about it at home, lol.

I won OGS I guess... I will take my Vanier waitlist as a loss because I doubt at this point until the next fiscal year (March 2019) that 3 people from SSHRC Vanier will drop.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.