On 3/22/2018 at 4:48 AM, Flyflyaway said:

i chose Npsia! haven't accepted yet, but the deadline for the MPPA has passed and i couldn't get any response when i emailed/called asking for an extension- I'm sure its because of the strike. I think it was a blessing though because it made me make a decision rather than thinking about if for another 2/3 weeks....

i'm pretty sure i'll do the same,  just because the in class is from 4:30-5:30 then 6-9 and i don't do well with night classes... i think ill find the econ hard enough as it is...

Good call. I'm switching from the MPPA to NPSIA for next year. Shoot me a message if you wind up doing the econ through Athabasca. 

Cheers. 

On 4/19/2018 at 9:03 PM, sunshine18 said:

For anyone taking the econ course with Carleton during the summer, how much are you guys paying for it? According to carleton central it will 1,648.86; however that seems a little high for just 1 course...

you actually were charged less than me.... I was charged 1,728.86. I signed up for the VOD section though..... also, check to see if you were charged 202$ for the summer bus pass - you can opt out of if you're an online student (if you don't want it).

34 minutes ago, Flyflyaway said:

you actually were charged less than me.... I was charged 1,728.86. I signed up for the VOD section though..... also, check to see if you were charged 202$ for the summer bus pass - you can opt out of if you're an online student (if you don't want it).

How do you opt out? And I am an online student. I'm gonna PM you

1 hour ago, spadeofhearts said:

Anyone taking the Carleton Economics course know if we are required to purchase a physical textbook? Or will there be some sort of online text? 

The course outlines are up for the course! here is the outline for the online section :) https://carleton.ca/economics/wp-content/uploads/econ-1000v-joseph-s18.pdf 

from what it says in the outline- it looks like a online textbook (7th ed) can be purchased for 80$ per term or a hard copy for 130$ per term.

haven books in ottawa sells each new for 101$ with the online access code.

Edited by Flyflyaway

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I was wondering if acceptances to NPSIA have still being going out and if any rejections have been sent out?

Still haven't heard anything yet, losing hope but still leaning on "no news is good news".

Does anyone know if it is possible to have conditions on the offer of admissions removed prior to course registration? My offer is conditional of proof of graduation, but I am not sure how to provide this proof? I now have my final official transcript if this is what they need? 

On 5/28/2018 at 9:37 PM, jasper28 said:

Does anyone know if it is possible to have conditions on the offer of admissions removed prior to course registration? My offer is conditional of proof of graduation, but I am not sure how to provide this proof? I now have my final official transcript if this is what they need? 

You have to provide Carleton with an official transcript from your institution, which will indicate that your degree has been conferred. You can find the info at this link: https://graduate.carleton.ca/apply-online/required-documents/ . Scroll all the way down to the section which says "If you have received an offer of admission"

• 3 weeks later...

Being a NPSIA student and looking back at my application process I could see why many of your worried. That's why I decided to reply to the thread.

First, please get as much of professional work/volunteering experience as you can.  The admission board really places a lot of weight on this part of the application. Also, make sure you discuss about your personal background, career interests and if possible your research project you wish to undertake while in the program. This will increase your chances of getting in. In my application I also had 3 reference letters (make sure they are related to the field of International Affairs.), I have government work experience, and I outlined the project I want to do for my MRP. I also discussed my personal background and the fact that I came to Canada from a war-torn country etc...

For those people worrying about ECON - I actually did econ on the side while doing my m.a courses and it wasn't too bad. If you can take it online it's much better since the final exam at Carleton University was worth 70% which added extra pressure,. I know of  2 NPSIA students who actually did not get the grade  required by NPSIA (B- min)  so now they have to redo the course. I am not trying to add extra pressure or make you anxious but this is something to think about. I wish I did mine at Athabasca since it's easier although more work.

Most students at NPSIA also do coursework instead of MRP or Thesis. It's easier to graduate by just doing the coursework. Also, if you guys get into NPSIA - 99.99% of people get through the program as I was told by the M.A supervisor at the welcoming dinner. So, don't stress about how you will do. NPSIA is a good school. Professors push you, and although often arrogant you will learn a lot from them. Use ratemyprof website before you selections.

Also, don't worry about the mandatory ECON class, it's quite easy. I am not that great at econ but you will find it easy especially if you're doing econ on the side. Please feel free to message me if you have any further questions. I can imagine how stressful it might be as I was in the same shoes once.

• 2 months later...

Would anyone happen to know which GPA NPSIA looks at during their selection process. I've heard they look at the last 2 year's grades or that they look at overall grade from all 4 years of Undergraduate. I am curious because my overall GPA from my degree is not that high but my GPA from the last 2 years is a lot better. I am planning on applying for Fall 2019 and would love to hear some insights on their GPA requirements and whether they only look at GPA or extracurriculars/professional requirements?